+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I want to see more Diverse challenges

FORT Regular

I want to see more Diverse challenges

It seems every week the contestants work on a marketing campaign for some company that is already well-established.

Business is more than just marketing. Also important to the success of business is financial management, operations management, information systems, internal control, investments ,human resources, etc.

The show would be a lot more interesting if they went to other, fledgling companies and help them in those areas and see how great business people they really are. How can you expect someone to be your apprentice when all you made them do is sell hot dogs or put together a display case?

Anyone agree?

Re: I want to see more Diverse challenges

I think the producer is counting on product placement with the large companies paying a substantial chunk of the episode's costs. (I don't know if that is actually the case.)

What you are describing would be a better idea, and maybe a little like Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares.

Anyone agree?
    I do, but I also think Brooks has probably right hit the nail on the head in saying,
    I think the producer is counting on product placement with the large companies paying a substantial chunk of the episode's costs.
    I think it would make for a more entertaining show to see fewer marketing type tasks in general, but if they must persist in this vein it would be mroe intersting to me at least to see up and coming companies featured.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

All of the companies featured are DEFINITELY paying a hefty price tag to be included. That type of product placement has become a huge moneymaker for networks to sell, because its one of the more effective ways that advertisers can get around people fast forwarding through their commercials. So the appearance of products of well-established advertisers is not going to go away -- they're the ones who can foot the bill for that kind of advertising. But it would be nice if they were challenged to promote the product in some way other than just marketing it. Remember way back on one of the first seasons when they had the burger kind challenge to create a hamburger, and then see which team sold the most? That was more of a product development / sales challenge than a pure marketing challenge. Burger King got their product placement, and the viewer got variety. It was a win for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2791541;
    . . . But it would be nice if they were challenged to promote the product in some way other than just marketing it. Remember way back on one of the first seasons when they had the burger kind challenge to create a hamburger, and then see which team sold the most? That was more of a product development / sales challenge than a pure marketing challenge. Burger King got their product placement, and the viewer got variety. It was a win for everyone.
    Or even challenges involving so many other aspects of business, like HR, training, customer service. Hell, even "grunt work" like front desk or mailroom. It doesn't seem like there'd be enough drama there to hold an audience, but trust me -- there is!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Regular

Great points everyone.

+ Reply to Thread