+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pieces of Work

Pieces of Work

PIECES OF WORK

Tue Jan 20, 7:31 AM ET
    By DON KAPLAN

HE'S argumentative, he's reckless, and he's fallen asleep on the job - literally. But "The Apprentice" contestant Sam Solovey has squeaked by to survive the first two episodes of the hit show without getting the ax.

Water coolers are also abuzz about the outspoken Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth, who's been bickering with her teammates.

The two contestants have emerged from the first two episodes (episode No. 3 airs tomorrow) as the series' breakout stars - as well as its biggest troublemakers.

On the show, 16 contestants (two teams of eight men and eight women) are vying for a $250,000 "dream job" working for Trump.

Each week, the teams are put through a series of business challenges - and at the end of each episode, Trump "fires" one contestant from the losing team.

"In many respects, you've been a disaster, Sam," said Trump - before letting him off the hook and firing someone else instead.

In the show's first episode, when given the task of selling the most cups of lemonade in a day, Solovey, 27, wasted a precious half-hour trying unsuccessfully to charge someone $1,000 for a cup.

And last week, he fell asleep on the floor of an office while the others worked.

"Ninety-five of the viewers think I'm an uncontrollable jackass," Solovey said in an e-mail to The Post yesterday.

"To the other five percent I look like a creative thinker who grows increasingly frustrated by my team's simplistic approach.

"And at the end of the day, the five percent who understand me will be my friends, business partners and future customers."

His unassailable self-confidence not only has viewers cringing, but has alienated the rest of his teammates.

"Many of my teammates are, in a professional sense, mediocre neophytes and decided they could save themselves by ganging up on me," he said.

"They were uncomfortable and unfamiliar with my style and approach, and decided early on that because I was different, I must be crazy.

"If they had even given a little support to my ideas, we would have won the first two tasks."

"I think Trump sees something in Sam and is rooting for him," Lori Levin, Solovey's girlfriend of five years, told The Post.

"The public is getting to see only one piece of his personality and not the whole picture," said Levin, who teaches fifth grade in Chevy Chase, Md.

"But what the public is getting to see is one of the reasons why I'm with Sam and why I love him."
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...x/piecesofwork

on vacation
    Did anyone happen to see The Donald this morning on The View. Joy Behar, one of the co-hosts tried to get Trump to admit that Sam was kept because of the ratings. He wouldn't but it was completely obvious that it was a very probable explanation of why Sam wasn't gone after sleeping. Trump was talking about how they are being put into timeslots and how the competition is brutal.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dreaminginblond
    Did anyone happen to see The Donald this morning on The View. Joy Behar, one of the co-hosts tried to get Trump to admit that Sam was kept because of the ratings. He wouldn't but it was completely obvious that it was a very probable explanation of why Sam wasn't gone after sleeping. Trump was talking about how they are being put into timeslots and how the competition is brutal.
    I saw in the "fine print" at the end of the show that prior to making a decision, Trump discussed the firing with the producers and NBC, but that the "final decision" was his alone.

However, if I was him, I would have fired Jason rather than Sam anyway. While Sam's nap was not wise, the only person that we know of that said that he didn't complete his task was Jason. And Jason's decision not to meet with the client was unforgivable IMHO.

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar
    It could be a test, too. The leader who can work with Sam and harness his energy has shown Trump something. The leader who bores Sam to sleep has shown Trump something entirely different.
    Passing over to the Dark Side

Anemic Dog, that is such a good point!

on vacation
    You're right, it could be a test in a lot of ways, like working with someone who is difficult, motivating someone like that, etc. Besides, just because other people have personality conflicts, that does not mean the person cannot be business savvy and we have to remember that so far, the only thing DT has gotten is what other "competitors" have said about Sam. Even his own female business assistant stuck up for Sam during the lemonade episode saying he didn't cross the line.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    "And at the end of the day, the five percent who understand me will be my friends, business partners and future customers."

That says it all. He's happy with only 5% liking/working/caring and willing to do business with him. Low expectations imo..he just doesn't seem to care, and I don't think that's a good way to go about business.

If he and I were the only two people who sold candy bars in the world....with his analogy, I'd have 95% of the customers.

Who's the successful one then?!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno

That says it all. He's happy with only 5% liking/working/caring and willing to do business with him. Low expectations imo..he just doesn't seem to care, and I don't think that's a good way to go about business.

If he and I were the only two people who sold candy bars in the world....with his analogy, I'd have 95% of the customers.

Who's the successful one then?!
    He might be saying that people that understand him recognize exceptional talent when they see it. And Maveno, if his 5% includes Trump, then he blows your doors off.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Because you think he can sell a candybar for a $1000??

I think we know how well that went. Also, it doesn't mean DTrump would buy more for himself just cause he has the money. I'd still want my 95% over his 5%+DTrump.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Because you think he can sell a candybar for a $1000??

I think we know how well that went. Also, it doesn't mean DTrump would buy more for himself just cause he has the money. I'd still want my 95% over his 5%+DTrump.
    Good one, Maveno!

Look at it a little "bigger." If instead of selling a candybar, suppose Sam is looking for investors for a business venture. In that case, you'd rather have Trump than 95% of the other people around. And I think that Sam and the rest of the contestants on the show are the kind of folks that think big like that.

If that doesn't make any sense, then I think we'll just have to politely agree to disagree on this point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast