+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The 2 ad campaigns

To be honest the women's advertisements just caputured my attention by the way they used the airplane parts to interpret it as a sex symbol which I would have never tought of if I was responsiable for putting together such a task and that was really CREATIVE but to be honest thoes ads did not made me feel like trying the product and that was why they won. On the otherhand, the men's advertisement was a very traditional airline ad that made me want to try the product but it was not CREATIVE and that was why they lost. COME ON GUYS YOU ARE BEGINING TO LET ME DOWN. TRY HARDER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired
    The women's campaign was sexist and unprofessional. It looked more like it was put together by a bunch of frat boys, not a group of successful female entrepreneurs.
    I thought the photos were beautiful. Sexual, yes, sexist no. Just because it was sexy does not make it derogatory.

I see frat boys as far more likely to put together an ad turning the plane into female parts, than the other way around. And if they did it with photography as lovely as the women's, I would think it just as nice.

Maybe I'm just some nutty Californian, but I see the photos not as something disgusting, shameful, and derogatory, but as a subtle celebration of sexuality. Perhaps that's just me.

FORT Regular
    I think you have to take into accoutn that these people only have 48 hours to do this campaign, so the main thing you ahve to look for is which group can come up with more creative and more innovative ideas in that short period. It's not realistic to think that they can come up with a legitimate campain in 48 hours. So although the women's ad was not really usable, their ideas were fresh and innovative and showed that they can think out of the box.
    Last edited by MrRealityShow; 01-16-2004 at 07:33 PM.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I think "unprofessional" goes too far. Their presentation of the material was top notch - especially Omarosa, who didn't let an ounce of her real feelings show. If she had showed any doubt it would have killed them.

Actually, I thought the men's commercial was tacky and sexist too. It had the "wife" blathering on how she didn't have to worry about her big important husband getting lost in the airport (or something like that). To me that's more traditionally sexist than using phallic symbols to catch your eye.
    I didn't call the presentation unprofessional. I was referring to the use of sexual content. My reasoning? Because of the target demographic here. It's not like you're trying to sell jeans to teenagers. You're trying to sell a classy service to high dollar buyers. Given the target market, the use of sex was unprofessional.

When yoou're doing a campaign, you have to look at who you're selling to and what type of person is likely to be in that market. We're talking about (most likely) conservative executives with a lot of money to spend on a luxury service like this. The buyers are likely 40's and 50's aged and have families. This isn't the appropriate ad campaign for that target market.

By the way, I do have one quick comment on the men's commercial. While true, it would have been edgier to have the woman traveling, I saw the point of the worry angle. Especially in New York, people tend to worry about air travel safety and terrorism after 9/11. I think the worry angle came out of that. If he's on a private jet, there is less worry about terrorism involved in his flight.

FYI, a lot of stars who used to go commercial now go private out of the same fears. Actually, I think anyone who can afford it goes private now because of terrorism fears.

I'm honestly kind of surprised that that message escaped you given the times we live in. My sister is a stewardess, and I worry a bit every time she gets on a plane.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    I agree. Its not like they showed pictures of nude bodies or anything, the photos were of the airplanes, for heaven's sake. In my opinion, successful advertising campaigns are the ones that grab your attention and make you look twice. The men's ads were boring to me...
    But even the client said it was too sexy. The only thing he's going to use is the broadcast ad, and even it was too short. He's going to use the idea but redo it.

Okay, I have a question:

When did the client say it was too sexy? I thought that the three people they presented to were all advertising people who worked for Deutsch (or whatever it was called), and the client wasn't even in the room. The only time they met with the client was when Amy and Erika went to talk to them in the beginning - or that is what I thought. Did I misunderstand what was going on? Just curious...

MrRealityShow, you made a great point. It wasn't so much about the actual ad itself, but about the process they went through (talking to the client, presentation) and for them to show if they were creative and willing to take risks by trying something different. After all, it is not as if the contestants were all in advertising. My guess is that in a real life situation they would have a)been very familiar with the client and what kind of thing they wanted and b)probably prepared a few different ideas or angles to present to the client. Given the short time frame, they had to pick one idea and make the most of it.

One more point: I think that trying to turn the tables in this scenario and saying what if the men had used photos that looked like female anatomy isn't really a fair comparison. In my experience, it seems that men are not at all shy about their private parts and take every opportunity to talk about them, name them, flaunt them, joke about them, etc, while women seem to be more reserved about that area of their bodies (in general - of course I realize there are exceptions). Just think of the whole "johnson" line of jokes in the Austin Powers movies. So the use of phallic imagery does not come as much of a shock or seem as risque to me as the opposite would be. (Once again, see the Joe Camel ad another poster posted in this thread).

Just my opinions, I certainly can respect that some people might find the ads offensive, and I don't know that I would have gone with it if it were my company. But I applaud the women for their boldness and ability to try something daring and stand out...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    Okay, I have a question:

When did the client say it was too sexy? I thought that the three people they presented to were all advertising people who worked for Deutsch (or whatever it was called), and the client wasn't even in the room. The only time they met with the client was when Amy and Erika went to talk to them in the beginning - or that is what I thought. Did I misunderstand what was going on? Just curious...
    Yep a slight misunderstanding on your part OTS. The man in the middle was Mr. Deutsch, the woman to his right was from NetJets ( I don't recall her title) and the man to his left was the Marketing Director from NetJets... so they really were presenting directly to the client. The gentlemen that Amy and Ereka spoke with were the Prez and VP of NetJets... they would have final say on the marketing of their product but it would have to pass by the media relations director first.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the clarification, Duxxy.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired
    My reasoning? Because of the target demographic here. It's not like you're trying to sell jeans to teenagers.
    No, but you're trying to sell something to dirty old bussiness men...

FORT Fogey
    That's hilarious

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast