+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: Celebrity Apprentice 4/22 Episode_Winning By A Nose ****SPOILERS****

FORT Fogey

Re: Celebrity Apprentice 4/22 Episode_Winning By A Nose ****SPOILERS****

I don't get this humor, not at all. I don't see the purpose of going on a show , using foul language and putting someone down.
    exactly! i don't get the humor at all

I will say that I have quite the filthy vocabulary to back up my reasonably impressive quotidien vocabulary, and I genuinely don't find the use of expletives to be offensive in the least. However, if a comedian is not capable of being funny without the use of said expletives, or pejoratives, then they aren't actually funny.
    NCLurker, mom2 and AZChristian like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I will say that I have quite the filthy vocabulary to back up my reasonably impressive quotidien vocabulary, and I genuinely don't find the use of expletives to be offensive in the least. However, if a comedian is not capable of being funny without the use of said expletives, or pejoratives, then they aren't actually funny.
    I've been known to drop an F-bomb myself... if appropriate to the situation.

However, I am really really careful when it comes to using pejoratives... at least ones that are clearly meaning to demean a person based on race, sexual orientation or disability. There's just too much hate already, you %$#@@#$$.

In fact, my husband and co-workers have a habit of using them at work (even around customers) and I'm constantly warning him that it is not ok. Most people don't care a wit, but for someone who has had those words used in a bullying and abusive manner towards them or someone they care about, well, they won't take it well hearing them as part of jokes. It's just not funny to too many people.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 04-25-2012 at 04:31 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Well said! Swear words are interesting. In some cases, their use respresents an easy intellectual out. It's easier to swear than to find words from the language to convey the feeling being experienced. In other cases, there are some moments when swear words are the most effective means of expression. For example, te f-bomb makes great sense when I drop a can of beans on my toes and it hurts beyond words. B*&#CH, on the other hand, is kind of a lazy means of expressing one's feelings about a female.

Depends on the word and its useage

But I agree there use is not an effective basis for humor.

Lisa is not as smart or clever or funny as she thinks she use. SHe resorts to cruelty and swear words far too often.

I said that "Penn is really a poor loser. Only George Takei was worse."

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Can you back that up with some references or evidence? You don't have to of course, I'm just wondering where it comes from. Thanks.
    Penn, like all the other fired contestants, does a flurry of media after they are fired. Only Penn and George outright bashed any of the remaining people. I am pulling for Clay but I am not a defensive fan. I think anyone can see that Penn's loss, like George's, was a blow to their arrogant egos and they had to blame and diminish their rival in order to feel better about themselves. There is also a generous portion of sour grapes. He says in various interviews: I didn't play to win. I didn't really try to win. Other people care too much and will do anything to win. So and so was in tears, cared too much, is pathetic because I'm above it.

He called everyone on the show "narcissistic, uneducated, unpleasant, two-bit celebrities stuck in a room"

Penn's cavalier attitude about blowing up money to watch people scramble and claw each other over it is another example of his arrogance. the only thing he didn't do was yell "Dance, Monkeys, Dance" while laughing like a hyena.

In the following video he covers those bases.

News Videos and Video Clips - NBC New York | NBC New York

He also waited to strategically time the release of a song/rap he wrote and recorded titled "Clay Aiken" for the day after he gets fired.

He talks about Clay in his podcast.

A regular nightly part of the Penn & Teller act pre-apprentice, had Penn breaking a wine bottle and then telling the audience he'd like to use it to slice Clay Aiken from ear to ear. This was before he ever met Clay. I wonder what he will incorporate into the show now.
    Last edited by Srsly; 04-25-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    prhoshay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I thought it was funny that Donald claimed that he rarely shows anyone his apartment, and that these contestants were really lucky to be there. I think he's brought every CA cast up there at some point, and I think most Americans know its a gold plated monstrosity. Not exactly something he rarely allows anyone to see.
    Aack, that godawful apartment. Trump is a caricature of everything I dislike: not only is he a braggart, a liar and a shameless carnival barker (no offense to carnival barkers), he portrays himself as a role model. How many young business students are going to be influenced by his cynical, win-at-all-cost mentality? Will they think that taking the low road when they're criticized is admirable? Or that throwing someone under the bus to get ahead is a sign of healthy ambition? Spy magazine nailed this egocentric boob back in the '80s when they called him a short-fingered vulgarian. To hear celebrities like Meatloaf talk about "Mr. Trump" with awe is kind of sickening.

I wish Richard Branson's knockoff show would come back. Now he has character.
    prhoshay and cablejockey like this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Well, first of all, Srsly, thanks for posting all of this. I don't really read interviews outside of those posted here, and I all I know about Penn is what people have posted about him here.

I think it is silly to put down people for wanting to win, that is kind of the point of the game.

As for this quote
    He called everyone on the show "narcissistic, uneducated, unpleasant, two-bit celebrities stuck in a room"
    It was in jest, I think. That is underscored by the fact that he includes himself in that group of narcissistic, etc. celebrities. He says 'we' there a couple of times.

I'm sorry, but I didn't see a whole lot of sour grapes in the first video. He admits that Clay doesn't really like him, but doesn't say he particularly didn't like Clay.

As for the last video, I thought it was pretty funny. He's mocking himself in this video and how he allowed himself to get upset over Clay calling him out. Once again, I don't really see sour grapes here.

Thanks though for posting these, they were interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Srsly View Post

Penn, like all the other fired contestants, does a flurry of media after they are fired. He says in various interviews: I didn't play to win. I didn't really try to win. Other people care too much and will do anything to win. So and so was in tears, cared too much, is pathetic because I'm above it.

....had Penn breaking a wine bottle and then telling the audience he'd like to use it to slice Clay Aiken from ear to ear. .
    Thanks for all that info. I began watching this season's CA, not really knowing much about Penn. At first, I was impressed with his intelligence, and seemingly controlled attitude and he appeared to be a hard worker.
    Then someone here posted how he degraded some unknown (to him) blogger who said negative things about him by repeatedly calling her the C-word.
    So my feelings about him changed immediately. Totally unnecessary and horribly cruel. Then I add what you linked here and knew that I had finally seen him for who he really is. Won't see me at any of his performances. I find all this just as horrific as using racist terms. Neither is any worse/better than the other.

Many may disagree with me here about Lisa but I'm not really sure she's a racist. I think she will attack anyone she feels like, using anything about them for fodder for her "jokes." I don't think she hates Danyna because of her race...I think it's pure jealousy, no matter what she says. It's just another way to use cruelty to get a laugh and maintain her reign as Queen of Mean. She's perfectly capable of saying the worst things, mostly for shock value. JMHO
    And I'm definitely not condoning her attacks in any way.

Such despicable people! I'm constantly shocked by the brazen meanness...and I suspect that these people's egos prevent them from seeing how disgusting they really are. Of course, the idiots fawning all over so-called celebs are a HUGE part of the problem.
    But all this is one of the reasons I watch such shows....I get a very realistic portrayal of these Great and Almighty Celebs.
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 04-26-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Thanks for all that info. I began watching this season's CA, not really knowing much about Penn. At first, I was impressed with his intelligence, and seemingly controlled attitude and he appeared to be a hard worker.
    Then someone here posted how he degraded some unknown (to him) blogger who said negative things about him by repeatedly calling her the C-word.
    So my feelings about him changed immediately. Totally unnecessary and horribly cruel. Then I add what you linked here and knew that I had finally seen him for who he really is. Won't see me at any of his performances. I find all this just as horrific as using racist terms. Neither is any worse/better than the other.
    I do agree that Penn's comments are out of line, but we all have said things that are harmful or cruel in our times. Personally I cannot fault him for it because we're not saints any of us.

He does need to tread carefully though because while many will see his macabre sense of humor that is similar to his magic show (It can be a bit raunchy too at times - I've seen it on TV), most Americans haven't seen his shows and would think much worse of it than what it is.

Many may disagree with me here about Lisa but I'm not really sure she's a racist. I think she will attack anyone she feels like, using anything about them for fodder for her "jokes." I don't think she hates Danyna because of her race...I think it's pure jealousy, no matter what she says. It's just another way to use cruelty to get a laugh and maintain her reign as Queen of Mean. She's perfectly capable of saying the worst things, mostly for shock value. JMHO
    And I'm definitely not condoning her attacks in any way.
    You can make fun of other races and such without calling them the slurs and overusing stereotypes.

While this character IS a Muppet, I'll try to use an example with the Swedish Chef. We all know he is doing mock Swedish and is a bit of a parody of those in Sweden. That said, he's funny and inoffensive because he even laughs at himself at times for being who he is - I've seen episodes where he laughed at other's jokes about his cooking.

Also, we all know Clay's jibes about contestants, yeah, they are crass and rude at times, but overall he looks BEYOND that and sees the positives of the people.

I think the reason WHY Lisa's comments are out of line is because when she makes fun of people you can feel that it's hurtful to the person and she almost relishes in it. And she doesn't look beyond the stereotypical aspect of her jokes on the person to see the good the person does. She's made positive comments about Dayana true, but ONLY when she knew that if she wasn't she could be in the line of fire.

Such despicable people! I'm constantly shocked by the brazen meanness...and I suspect that these people's egos prevent them from seeing how disgusting they really are. Of course, the idiots fawning all over so-called celebs are a HUGE part of the problem.
    But all this is one of the reasons I watch such shows....I get a very realistic portrayal of these Great and Almighty Celebs.
    Personally, the ones whom I've seen walk out with some class off show are Dee, Paul Sr., and George. Yes, some have been snippy post show; however, they understand the difference between game and real life.

Penn's comments long term won't harm him I think - he can be crass and ugly but he also knows when to shut up when he realizes his mistake (which obviously he hasn't yet).

Lisa's will.

A regular nightly part of the Penn & Teller act pre-apprentice, had Penn breaking a wine bottle and then telling the audience he'd like to use it to slice Clay Aiken from ear to ear. This was before he ever met Clay. I wonder what he will incorporate into the show now.
    Really? I wonder why. I have never wanted to see Penn and Teller, it doesn't appeal to me, maybe now I know why.Great links btw
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread