+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Celebrity Apprentice 2/19 premiere episode

Re: Celebrity Apprentice 2/19 premiere episode

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Nichelle Nichols is a hero to many African American women for breaking barriers. According to sources, she wanted to quit the show but was encouraged to stay on by Martin Luther King to be a role model to both women and minorities. And so she did, though she didn't originally want to stay. It's really to Roddenberry's credit, but she was the face to the breakthrough.

Same is true in many ways for George Takai... minority as a main character on the bridge. Love it or hate it, Star Trek represented minorities on network television when no one else was.

Side note (or actually more to the point of this thread, Celebrity Apprentice)... I asked my husband if he thought Takai was creepy. He was like, 'hell, yes!' I guess I just think he's weird and funny.
    And I believe they had the first interracial kiss. And I love how they snuck things by the censors, like when Sulu said to Uhura "Ah, fair maiden" and she said "Sorry, neither."
    Ellen, mom2 and spockwhat like this.

I loved Star Trek as a kid growing up.George Takei after Star Trek is creepy to me also. Don't know what it is he appears to be a very nice man. Favorite Star Trek Episode"The Trouble with Tribbles",lol.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Is this show 3 hours tonight? or is one hour a recap.I have to record it, so I guess I will record all 3 hours

I guess I can FF

They are re-capping last week's episode the first hour (from 8-9PM here in the U.S. on the East Coast)
    Fanny Mare likes this.

thanks jucamer

I probably wasn't paying as close attention to the premiere as I should have been, but Cheryl was criticized for not bringing in much money, and some said she was a bit slow in her work. Did they ever indicate how much the Gotti woman brought in by comparison, I know she was placing personal calls while the others were drumming up dough?

I know Cheryl made it easier for Donald to fire her when she admitted she wasn't as comfortable in the group as she'd like to be - do you think if she'd not made that statement that she'd still have been fired over Gotti?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I do.Gotti brings more drama

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    And I believe they had the first interracial kiss. And I love how they snuck things by the censors, like when Sulu said to Uhura "Ah, fair maiden" and she said "Sorry, neither."
    The first interracial kiss was between Kirk and Uhura, not Sulu and Uhura. They got around it, sort of, by having them manipulated into it by aliens, though if I recall correctly, the way Kirk and Uhura were playing it, Kirk was apologetic about it because he felt awkward making romantic advances on someone in whom he was not interested and the lack of interest was played as being part of their professional relationship--that is, that it would be inappropriate for the captain to be canoodling with one of his subordinates (she was communications officer, but she was still his subordinate). It still caused some racist reactions, however.

I remember reading in a book about the making of Star Trek (I love books about making movies and television series) that Gene L. Coon, one of the producers (I think) had a black secretary and someone who came into see him reacted negatively to her, so she smiled and introduced herself by saying, "Hi. I'm Gene L.'s Coon" (and her boss nearly split a gut laughing while the person who was seeing him at least had the good grace to be embarrassed by his earlier behavior).
    jucamer likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789