+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Celebrity Apprentice 2/19 premiere episode

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Re: Celebrity Apprentice 2/19 premiere episode

I think they're called trekkies but I agree. I still can't believe Clay Aiken still has the same hair style as he did on Idol 10 years ago.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

FORT Newbie

Who went home?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired View Post
    I think they're called trekkies but I agree. I still can't believe Clay Aiken still has the same hair style as he did on Idol 10 years ago.

I used to call them Trekkies too, but then I was told once by a particularly ardent fan that Trekkies is considered derogatory by some of the more serious fans who prefer Trekker. I have no idea why, but the person in question was quite adamant and it didn't seem worth an argument, so I was trying to be as inoffensive as possible.

Clay's been through some different styles since then--wasn't he wearing his hair very dark at one point?--but he's gone back to his original hairstyle and color.

FORT Fogey

Cheryl Tiegs went home. She admitted that perhaps she wasn't really suited to the show and you never say that in front of Donald and survive, though everyone was very sweet about it.

Personally, I'm a little uncomfortable that they're keeping Victoria Gotti around because of her potential contacts and how much money could be raised through them. Considering the mob jokes they were also making, they made it sound like they were perfectly happy to take mob money, even if that's not what they meant. But then, Victoria also makes me uncomfortable because she bears an uncanny resemblance to a blonde dried apple person.
    RoxyKnox, Photobabe, Midol and 2 others like this.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Paul's team won only because he got three-quarters of the entire amount the team raised from one person. I don't find that particularly impressive. It just means he has one incredibly wealthy friend who could afford to donate over $300,000 regardless of how well or how poorly the men's team did (I don't think they were terrible by any means, but when you can get one donation that big, you don't really have to work very hard on the task). Makes me feel like they really should have a limit on how much any one person can give or at least how much of any one person's donation could count toward the task. If someone wanted to give more than what would count in the final tally, just because he/she believed that strongly in the charity, I think an exception could be made for that.

It does seem like the teams aren't very well matched in terms of fame either. The men's team has a lot more recognizable names on it than the women's team does. I mean, how many people really know former holders of the Miss Universe title as opposed to someone who's been on Star Trek?
    I respectfully disagree especially on setting a limit on how much one person can donate. This show is all about raising the most money for charity so whether or not most of the money came from one rich donor or not, the charity comes out the winner. However, it would have been very nice if Patricia's charity got to keep some of the money they raised.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

I just finished the episode, and I have a few thoughts.

1. I would like to see them have the money oriented tasks at the very end. By the time the show is over those who make it to the end who do what's expected of them along the way are tapped out. It also leads to the potential of people holding back to protect themselves. I'd like to have seen this task be about the number of sandwiches they could sell period. Have a maximum price per sandwich and let them duke it out. IMO the men's team still likely would have won because they have more recognizable celebrities. But I think it would lead to less holding back and more balls out. Have the early tasks be about sales or task and give the $20K to the winner like they do on creative tasks.
    2. Poor Cheryl Tiegs was way out of her league. They ate her alive much the same way Tiffani Fallon was eaten alive season 1. She is way too quiet a personality and way too old for the drama. I was sad but not surprised to see her go.
    3. Why has nobody mentioned Debbie Gibson's awful plastic surgery? Well not surgery exactly but fillers and botox. Her cheeks were packed full of fillers and so were her lips. She's 41 but looks more like she's 55. And the big Morgan Fairchild hair at some points of the show. She looked like she was working on Dynasty the sequel. She looked better with the flatter hair, but she still needs to dial back the filler. She looked like a Real Housewife.
    4. Poor George. He did what he was asked, and that's perceived weak? GMAFB. I don't like the OC Chopper guy because I see him as the bully type.
    5. OC Chopper guy was stupid for using a $300K guy in round 1. Unless that guy has billions, he just used up a really valuable resource. I think I'd have said listen I appreciate the donation but can we break it up a bit so you can help me win later or something to that effect. Sure he got to show off and be bad ass but he may have pulled a Marlee Matlin and used his resources too soon.

I like most of the cast. I just wanted to tell miss Danity Kane that no not everyone knows who you are. I consider myself pretty celebrity intelligent and I didn't know who she was until she told me. So she needs to chill the ego. I'm looking forward to seeing the fireworks Ivanka mentioned in the pre-show press.
    cablejockey, Endit and jucamer like this.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by WalaLang View Post
    I respectfully disagree especially on setting a limit on how much one person can donate. This show is all about raising the most money for charity so whether or not most of the money came from one rich donor or not, the charity comes out the winner. However, it would have been very nice if Patricia's charity got to keep some of the money they raised.
    I know it's about how much money you can raise for charity, but if it's only about that, then why bother with having a tasks? Why not just have everyone work the phones and make the person whose friends have the deepest pockets the ultimate winner?

If the tasks matter at all, then they have to make them matter. All the guys pretty much decided that if Chopper could raise $500,000 on his own (which he didn't quite do, but since he got $300,000 from one guy, it was still more than enough) that they'd sit on their possible donors until it was their charities and their butts on the line. They still worked pretty hard, but I could easily see a situation where people wouldn't, if they knew they had a huge advantage because of someone with a big donor on the line. And yeah, it stinks that the women still raised more than had ever been raised before in a first task and got beat anyway, because of one person's deep pockets--not because the guys worked especially hard at raising money.

I like the idea that the first challenges be more about the task and then maybe later in the competition, when everyone's more on equal footing in terms of possibly making it to the end, let people call on their big donors. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to have any tasks. We all know the contestants aren't competing for a real apprenticeship if they're celebrities, but if they can just sit around and call people to donate that much money to their charities, why are they doing the show in the first place? Why don't they just have fundraisers on their own without dealing with Trump?
    cablejockey, Midol and AlwaysVeg like this.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Who'd a'thunk that Clay Aiken would have been Penn Gillette's huckster in training? Even Penn was impressed with his ability to get people to fork over more than they said they would.

I don't know the Chopper guy, but I don't like the way he seems to be dismissing George Takei. Heck, they should have thought about using him to draw a crowd--there have to be some rabid Trekkers out there who'd want his autograph and would be willing to pay for a sandwich to get it.
    On Facebook, Paul Sr has two pages, totaling just over 11,000 "likers." George Takei has well over a MILLION. If I'd seen Paul out in front of a sandwich shop flexing his arms, I'd have walked on by. If I'd seen George, I'd have been IN THERE, buying a sandwich. Had it not been for Paul pulling in his one friend (Mrs. Paul?) to donate $300,000, the men would NOT have won.

I do think Paul is a bully - because as soon as the bigger bully (Trump) told him that George was not "timid," Paul immediately backed down and apologized. Of course, when one sees how he treats his own sons, it's not surprising that he would be so ignorant to others.
    Midol and AlwaysVeg like this.

FORT Fogey

This donation thing is a problem, especially since the teams are unbalanced. One solution would be to call your doners and have them pledge to give money to their charity if they win the challenge. This way it would have been about selling the sandwiches and negotating with those who show up, as Clay did, to up the price. This poses problems too but eliminates calling a friend who cannot show up in person. Those who know people in NYC would be ahead of the game but requiring the doner to show up limits it to some extent.

Trump's jokes about Victoria calling in the mob if someone crosses her are tasteless and disrespectful. You can see her bristle and fight to maintain her calm. She is not her father. Her hair is so bad, I have no words.

I have visions of the women's team dwindling very fast. I don't know who most of them are. Debbie Gibson, I haven't heard her name in years and she seems to be the biggest star.
    cablejockey, mom2, jucamer and 2 others like this.

Thats what was bothering me last night---why work so hardf selling anything when all that is needed to win is a big donation? That 300k negated all the work they did. I felt that Cheryl got short shrift--she was quickly chosen as the easiest to get rid of. It seemed to me she was busy making grilled cheese sandwiches while the red head and Debbie were busy singing! I loved her speech at the end of the show.
    You could see that the women were already deciding who they didnt like based on emotion even before the game started! The men are doing the same by being all impressed with muscles while dismissing guys like George.
    TRump never fails to amaze me with his rudeness---constantly interupppting--and his sleazy comments.
    Midol and AlwaysVeg like this.

+ Reply to Thread