+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 4/17 Show Discussion Thread ***SPOILERS***

Re: 4/17 Show Discussion Thread ***SPOILERS***

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    I agree. The women's was a snooze fest-dull, and uninspired. Total snooze fest. BORING!

I think it's fixed this week for sure. The audience and the exes seemed quite excited about coming up to eat the food-no awkwardness there at all-so that criticism is a pile of ...also, Meatloaf cooking was entertaining and educational. having the audience repeat Omaha Steak is a classic infomercial technique.

And to be honest, Gary's story about the kite was not hard to follow and if people couldn't follow it and were confused then they aren't very bright. (that was one of the criticisms, that the story was confusing-not true).
    I thought the wonmen's presentation dragged out even though it was shorter. It was BORING!
    I have to disagree here strongly. What made the men's team NOT work overall were:

1. Gary's story did NOT need the kite, and when he did that it confused a lot of people. I even had trouble and I deal with these nonsense stories all the time from people.

2. The booklet had TWO errors in it and they were approved as being correct. These aren't difficult words to misspell either. This leads to an unprofessional product in the eyes of the buyer because if you see this lapse of judgement, what makes you think the meat is 100 percent safe? (or even a reasonable percentage)?

3. The eating... I can see their point. There obviously is nothing wrong with tasting the food; however, it was the execution as to how they did it that was wrong. One of the charms of "The Galloping Gourmet" for example was that Graham Kerr just picked someone out of the audience. Given that he was considered a very handsome man and had a lot of charm and humor, it was considered a huge honor to be selected.

I think the guys should've just had three of them (probably Meatloaf, and the two Johns), choose three people by walking up to them and asking them to come dine. Less awkward, and gives the person the feeling they are special and a person, not a number.

4. The package had too many items and the black tissue paper was NOT a good choice. The coloring of the paper can bleed onto the meat or packaging (therefore still possibly get into the meat), and this coloring has been seen as dangerous. It can also lead to a messy look if there is humidity or condensation that leaks into the box and melts the paper. They should've used butcher paper or found some sort of packing paper that they could've had the "Omaha Steaks" branded on it.

I'm not saying the women's team was excellent - the Omaha without steaks is a bad judgement as well, but at least people at a demonstration like that will know they are referring to the steaks and not a city in Nebraska. The lack of cooking did cause some issues for me too, but they did still cook. If this had been picked up they'd been told they had to cook more in future demonstrations. Out of the two though - the women's team was going to win this one.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by newshound View Post
    Just saw Gary Busey on the Today show and he totally went on the attack. He criticized Meatloaf for his lack of anger management and said the Backbone team should be called Backstabbers. When asked why the others wanted Gary off the team so badly, he said, "jealousy, fear, insecurity."

Busey's brain is an interesting mix of egotism, disorientation...sometimes he's out of it, sometimes he's focused and super-intense. I think it would be very frustrating working with him or for him, but he's not a bad person, IMHO.
    totally agree with you. what i find most interesting, however, is trump's adoration for Busey. I wonder if there is more to their knowing each other.

I think in the boardroom, I was more upset with Trump trying to find someone other than Gary to fire, but it was obvious that he had to go. If Gary had stayed over any of the other three - particularly Meat Loaf (as he did do far more than any of the others), I think we'd had a first and all of them walk out but Gary.

They should've kept Mark, but I fault Mark's decision to NOT show the video of Gary slacking off a few weeks prior. Mark would've stayed IMHO if that happened and we'd had a much better competition this past challenge.

I think the girls need to look out..the 3 men standing are going to kick arse!..(I too wish that Mark was still part of the "game")

I think the girls will begin to fall apart from this point on..until a more "even" playing field is established, I see the final 3 girls as Marley, Star and Latoya...

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by newshound View Post
    Just saw Gary Busey on the Today show and he totally went on the attack. He criticized Meatloaf for his lack of anger management and said the Backbone team should be called Backstabbers. When asked why the others wanted Gary off the team so badly, he said, "jealousy, fear, insecurity."
    It is really sad and odd that Gary actually thinks that others are jealous of him. For what, would be a good question to ask.

KeepItReal You made a lot of sense in your post. I still find LaToya annoying but have softened a bit. Yo are probably right on the money about her place in the family and the personality she has developed as a result.

I can't imagine working with Busey, and his stories, kite and digestive tract anniversary love, would not have made me want to buy steak if I were in the audience.

I think the awkward part of the eating was that rather than having the audience members taste a bite they had them sit up there and eat the entire meal with the audience just sitting and watching them.

La Toya seems like a really nice person, but she's not a good manager or businessperson. She's obviously had everything handled for her most of her life, like cooking, bills and decisions. She's great at relating to the public and saying what the business people want to hear, but would I want her to be in charge of anything, nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    I can't imagine working with Busey, and his stories, kite and digestive tract anniversary love, would not have made me want to buy steak if I were in the audience.
    You're right - I plumb forgot about the digestive tract comment. That would've detracted people from eating the steaks, and I wonder if it was mentioned by the company but not shown. That was not a good selling point unlike Star's comment about the tiny filet mignon good for those who have had heart issues.

I think the awkward part of the eating was that rather than having the audience members taste a bite they had them sit up there and eat the entire meal with the audience just sitting and watching them.
    Never stopped the person selected to dine with the "Galloping Gourmet" - then or the more heart-healthy concoctions he creates now.

But you're right, in an infomercial, you'd want to either do it for all or none. The one thing the women got right was to be sure all got aprons for example.

La Toya seems like a really nice person, but she's not a good manager or businessperson. She's obviously had everything handled for her most of her life, like cooking, bills and decisions. She's great at relating to the public and saying what the business people want to hear, but would I want her to be in charge of anything, nope.
    I agree - she know the PR side, not the business side of things. This will be her downfall long term as it was Gary. That said, she does know how to use that PR skill well, at least in the realm of this game, so that speaks highly of her there.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

So was Gary voted off last night? I missed the ending.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    So was Gary voted off last night? I missed the ending.
    Oh yeah, there was no question really. The only thing Gary could've done was try and say that either JR or LJ didn't do anything and deserved to go. That said, that wasn't entirely true and then to - as PM, go and talk in a condescending way toward one of your workers (BTW, a fireable offense if you call someone a derrogatory, even if "boy" because of the racist implications), he was doomed.

Speaking of "boy" I want to let people know this - some parts of Texas, even "c'boys" is considered a negative word toward those who are cowboys. Plus, JR is not a cowboy, he's a country musician. Gary probably didn't know that, but yes, it can still be offensive to some. I think even the Dallas Cowboys find it negative.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I think in the boardroom, I was more upset with Trump trying to find someone other than Gary to fire, but it was obvious that he had to go. If Gary had stayed over any of the other three - particularly Meat Loaf (as he did do far more than any of the others), I think we'd had a first and all of them walk out but Gary.

They should've kept Mark, but I fault Mark's decision to NOT show the video of Gary slacking off a few weeks prior. Mark would've stayed IMHO if that happened and we'd had a much better competition this past challenge.
    I think the main reason Mark was let go last week was because he said he should go if the pirate theme was the reason why they lost. If Mark hadn't been so confident of how well they did, maybe he could have been prepared to temper that by adding that their team would be much stronger for him to stay and for Gary to go.

Can you imagine how Omaha Steaks felt if they watched last week's show? They could have had a fantastic presentation from the men if Gary had been let go instead of Mark. I would think decisions like the one made last week might cause companies to think twice before allowing their product to be promoted on this show. Omaha Steaks is probably not really happy with what they got out of this - even though it did have my mouth watering.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Speaking of "boy" I want to let people know this - some parts of Texas, even "c'boys" is considered a negative word toward those who are cowboys. Plus, JR is not a cowboy, he's a country musician. Gary probably didn't know that, but yes, it can still be offensive to some. I think even the Dallas Cowboys find it negative.
    I didn't even know there was such a word as "c'boy." I thought Gary made that up. He obviously was lying though, since earlier he tried to apologize to JR.

+ Reply to Thread