+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carol Leifer - Season 3

Carol Leifer - Season 3

"I am the ultimate carnival barker."

Hailed by The Washington Post as "refreshing" and "one of the best comedic minds of our time," Carol Leifer (pronounced LEE-fur) is an acclaimed stand up comedian and Emmy-nominated writer.

Currently, Leifer's first book of humorous essays for Random House, entitled "When You Lie About Your Age, the Terrorists Win" is now a bestseller. In her recent press tour in support of her book, Carol appeared on "The Oprah Winfrey Show," "The Today Show," "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," The Late Show with David Letterman," "Real Time with Bill Maher," "The Howard Stern Show," and "Fresh Air with Terry Gross on NPR." Leifer is also now a featured author of The Jewish Book Council's Jewish book network. Leifer was recently featured in the Adam Sandler film "Funny People," playing herself. And Leifer just guest-starred on Larry David's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and contributed as a writer and performer to Carrie Underwood's FOX holiday special

Leifer, a Long Island native, began her career as a comic in such well-known clubs as The Comic Strip, Catch a Rising Star and The Improv. Her "big break" came when David Letterman unexpectedly showed up at The Comic Strip one night and personally caught her show. His visit led to 25 appearances on NBC's "Late Night with David Letterman." In addition, Letterman also produced Leifer's Cinemax special called "Carol Doesn't Leifer Anymore."

Shortly thereafter, Leifer wrote, produced and starred in three specials for Showtime: "Carol Leifer Comedy Cruise," "Really Big Shoo" and "Gaudy, Bawdy, and Blue," which was nominated for three cable ACE Awards. She also appeared in HBO's "Young Comedians Special" and "The Rodney Dangerfield Special: Nothin' Goes Right." Leifer also starred in her own stand-up special for Comedy Central.

The New York Times praised Leifer's stand-up as having "a gentle eye for the smaller absurdities."

One of Leifer's greatest career dreams came true when she appeared with Johnny Carson on "The Tonight Show" two months prior to his retirement. She has appeared on numerous other television shows, including "Late Night with Conan O'Brien," "Huckabee," "Live with Regis and Kelly," "Mike & Juliet Show," and "Issues with Jane Velez Mitchell."

Leifer has also been the opening act for a variety of legendary performers, including Frank Sinatra, The Pointer Sisters, Wynonna Judd and Jerry Seinfeld.

Turning to Leifer's writing career, it all began when she became a staff writer for the seminal comedy show "Saturday Night Live." She moved on to writing sitcoms, joining the staff of "Seinfeld," where she contributed to over 75 episodes, eventually becoming a producer of the show that has been hailed as "the greatest sitcom of all time." The most famous episodes of "Seinfeld" that Leifer penned (or co-penned) include the famous "shrinkage" episode "The Hamptons" (nominated for the Writer's Guild Award), "The Understudy" (starring Bette Midler), "The Lip Reader" (featuring Marlee Matlin), and the episode that made marble-rye bread a classic, "The Rye."

Following that, Leifer served as writer and supervising producer on HBO's critically acclaimed "The Larry Sanders Show." Leifer then went on to become executive producer and co-creator of "The Ellen Show" on CBS, which was nominated for the People's Choice Award and the GLAAD Award.

Leifer is a regular writer for the Academy Awards and has written material for stars as diverse as Billy Crystal, Chris Rock, Whoopi Goldberg and Ellen DeGeneres.

In 2006, Leifer made her feature directing debut as part of Glamour Magazine's "Reel Moments." Her short film "Blinders," starring Jamie-Lynn Sigler ("The Sopranos") was showcased along with films by Jennifer Aniston and Bryce Dallas Howard, all gracing the independent film festival circuit.

As an actress, Leifer starred in, created and executive produced the WB sitcom "Alright, Already," lauded as one of the "10 Best Shows of the New Season" by the Los Angeles Times and The Washington Post. Leifer has also made guest appearances on "Seinfeld," "The Naked Truth," and "Will and Grace."

Carol's charity is the North Shore Animal League America

Carol is an animal advocate and the proud owner of seven rescue dogs that came directly from animal shelters. Carol does a tremendous amount of work for animal charity and strives to make people aware of the huge pet overpopulation crisis in the country. This is why she's representing the North Shore Animal League, which is the largest no-kill shelter in the country. The Animal League's mission has been saving the lives of pets through adoption, rescue, spay/neuter and advocacy initiatives. To date, they've placed one million puppies, kittens, cats and dogs into carefully screened homes and Carol hopes that by winning "The Celebrity Apprentice," she'll be able to help find homes for a million more.
    Last edited by lildago; 03-08-2010 at 05:14 PM.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Re: Carol Leifer - Season 3

I am a fan of Carols and am glad she will be on.

Some impressive resume, but I swear I've never heard of this woman. Well, she'll need a sense of humour for this show.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I saw her as the opening act for Seinfeld when we went to see his stand-up act a few years ago. She was funny. I also heard the rumor that she is the person who the "Elaine" character was based on for "Seinfeld".

I didn't know who she either but saw her on The View the other day. She was really funny.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I've seen her do stand up on TV before, possibly on Comedy Channel or on Letterman. She is pretty funny.

I think Carol got a raw deal. Cyndi should have gone.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Yes, it was ridiculous that she was fired instead of the project manager!

I saw her on The Soup tonight.

+ Reply to Thread