+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: ***spoilers**** 5/10 season finalie discussion thread

FORT Fogey

Re: ***spoilers**** 5/10 season finalie discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick;3443800;
    I just want to chime in and add my 2 cents.

I too am angry at the outcome of the show. Annie was the clear professional throughout the competition. She never stooped to personal attacks until the very end, but stress and the fact that Joan's actions caused Annie to lose her event planner as well, I can understand why she finally cracked. I wish she hadn't, but it wouldn't have mattered since bad mouthing the other contestant wasn't part of the criteria heh.

I thought the impersonators were bad on Joan's side, I think that the real celebrities on Annie's side did not have enough "star factor"... Joe Frazier? I was hoping that they could have gotten some current stars. Even though I love poker, not everyone does or knows who Phil Helmuth is. Heck I watch poker all the time, and even I didn't know who half those folks were.

But all in all, I still thought Annie should have won. I'm sorry but calling someone worse than Hitler? Considering that, the fact that Joan was not present for several of the tasks for her team, the fact that her sense of humor was not appreciated by most of the sponsors of the various tasks....

CLUCK, CLUCK, SPLASH!

Joan should have been fired the week that she left the show after Melissa's tantrum.

I am really disappointed.
    But Annie DID resort to the personal attacks throughout the competition. The difference is that Annie did it in the privacy of interviews, and Joan did it in front of everyone in the boardroom. So the playing field was level there. Remember that Annie was ruffling feathers from the get go, because in the first couple of challenges, she was overruling teammates and PMs, demanding things be done her way. Remember that before she and Brande were friends, they were ripping each other to shreds over Brande wanting to give a lot of cupcakes to a big donor, and Annie not wanting to give so many up that could be sold to other people. Annie's attitude was there from the get go. I would not argue that she was worse than Joan inthat respect ... I think they were equal. However, I do recall more times that Joan came to the defense and support of a teammate - such as Clint - than I do Annie doing the same.

And as I said last night, I think that Annie killed any moral ground she may have had on Joan over Hitler remarks the moment she declared that Joan needed to die.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by dodie430;3443589;
    I don't believe it was fixed. I think he quit because Joan was difficult to work with and hard to satisfy, and that it was a lose-lose situation. I think the reason that Donald didn't clear up the mess, is because the win was a fix. And he had needed to allow Joan to call Annie a liar. I don't believe for a second that Annie lied about what she was told by the planners, they quit the entire project rather than work with an impossible woman and have a horrible end result that would have reflected poorly on their business. I'm sure that retaining their services in return for exposure seemed like a good idea at the time. When they realized the possible negatives, they pulled the plug.
    I don't know .... in the discussions we were shown between Joan and David, the event planner, he came off as clueless and uncreative. That can't be the result of editing because the words were coming out of his mouth. All he was suggesting were red drapes and lounge chairs, and he said on the phone that was all he could do at such short notice. I agree with Joan saying he seemed to be over his head with this job. If he is a well-known event planner who creates great fantasy rooms, that is surprising to me given what came out of his own mouth on this show, and the negativity and cluelessness he displayed when Joan showed him the room. Given his lackadaisical attitude and less than stellar ideas, not to mention what was at stake for Joan and her charity, I would have given him a much harder time than she did.

I can't believe the quitting was scripted. Someone would have to be a complete idiot to agree to allow his company or service portrayed like this on national TV. Who would want to hire an event planning firm with a well-publicized propensity to get snitty and quit in the middle of a job?
    Last edited by Lucky22; 05-11-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I can't in good conscience defend Annie for anything. I really didn't care much for what I've seen of her this season. But, to claim that Joan Rivers was better than Annie seems ludicrous to me.

This constant harping on what Annie said about people outside of the boardroom is the worst of the accusations. Over the course of the season many of the contestants had harsh words for their competitors. I personally think Melissa was much worse than Annie in the confessionals. In fact, I think Melissa was worse than Annie on all personal levels.

Even though I would not seek Annie out as someone with whom I'd like to spend time, I have to give her major props for sitting there and calmly enduring the vile and disgusting epithets repeatedly hurled by that harpy/shrew Joan. I know I couldn't have done it. For that alone Annie deserved the win.

ETA: As to the event planner... it's seems a bit unfair that Joan was given the 'celebrity', and head of the company, event planner, while Annie was given one of his minions. If we want to talk conspiracy theories, how about this one. They gave Annie the lesser of the event planners thinking it would give Joan an advantage. But, it turned out that Annie had some great ideas. On the other hand, Joan was given the top dog event planner, but she was so devoid of ideas that it quickly became clear she would fail that task miserably. And so, Trump steps in and saves Joan's a$$ by getting the event planner to quit altogether, leaving Annie in the lurch.
    Last edited by Uncle David; 05-11-2009 at 12:02 PM.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

To the Point

I just couldn't watch the entire episode.

Joan really showed herself to be an ugly, ugly person. I saw the fix way early this year. I just found it difficult to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3443806;
    But Annie DID resort to the personal attacks throughout the competition. The difference is that Annie did it in the privacy of interviews, and Joan did it in front of everyone in the boardroom. So the playing field was level there. Remember that Annie was ruffling feathers from the get go, because in the first couple of challenges, she was overruling teammates and PMs, demanding things be done her way. Remember that before she and Brande were friends, they were ripping each other to shreds over Brande wanting to give a lot of cupcakes to a big donor, and Annie not wanting to give so many up that could be sold to other people. Annie's attitude was there from the get go. I would not argue that she was worse than Joan inthat respect ... I think they were equal. However, I do recall more times that Joan came to the defense and support of a teammate - such as Clint - than I do Annie doing the same.

And as I said last night, I think that Annie killed any moral ground she may have had on Joan over Hitler remarks the moment she declared that Joan needed to die.

There's a difference... first off, yes Annie can be intimidating in business. To me it's the same ol' same ol', its perfectly ok for a man to be domineering in business, but when it's a woman, she's a bitch. Annie knows what she wants to do, and be honest here... her ideas were very rarely wrong. Joan's were almost always off the mark.

As for the comments, Annie made up with Brande, which should be telling right there. Annie never said she didn't say things about Brande, but she did admit that she was wrong, apologized, and they became good friends.

Joan never once apologized to Annie. Joan also took things much further than Annie by trying to put down her friends, the entire poker world, and the entire city of Las Vegas. Annie never expanded her barbs beyond Joan. Sure Annie said some things out of the boardroom, but so did Joan. Remember Joan calling Brande a stupid blonde bitch? Not in the boardroom, but in their suite. Joan did far more name calling, and did it out of spite because she looked stupid compared to Annie.

Like I said, yes I wish Annie hadn't of stooped to Joan's level there at the end, but she had a good point, everyone has a breaking point, and after WEEKS of Joan saying really nasty things about her, her family, her friends, and her associates, I can understand why she eventually cracked.

Joan certainly did her fair share of whining, bitching and name calling out of the boardroom as well, and she showed us what a mean spirited lady she really is. Joan lashed out first, she said some really nasty things, and to me, Annie had a right to complain.

I wonder how she feels watching the playback. Do you think she apologized to Annie for calling her a liar? We watched it play out... Joan did try to bring in an outside decorator (I don't blame her really, the original event planner she had sucked), the company did pull their support from the show due to Joan... everything that Annie said happened, did.

Anywho, that's JMHO

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by taracran;3443597;
    I am so done with Trump and this show. I will NEVER watch another apprentice and I will NEVER give any of my money to Trump again.
    You've been giving money to Trump?! Okay, so now you can give it to me instead. I'm a nice person.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3443680;
    Exactly. My husband even said last night when the show was over, that this season was set up from day one. Mr Trump knew who he wanted..from the day Joan walked off the show, and he allowed her back.

Just watching Joan on Regis & Kelly right now--and she says she did NOT quit the show that night. She went to be with her daughter but always intended to come back.

Also she said that Annie never spoke to her even after Joan hugged her last night. And when Joan was leaving Annie had "her people around her"--and Annie's people gave Joan the finger as she was leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3443903;
    Also she said that Annie never spoke to her even after Joan hugged her last night. And when Joan was leaving Annie had "her people around her"--and Annie's people gave Joan the finger as she was leaving.
    In all fairness, Joan did refer to Annie's people as Mafia and/or trash. May as well hang for a wolf.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3443675;
    One thing that irritated me was that Joan did not say Annie was worse than Hitler. Trump said up that everone liked Annie or something to that effect. Joan said everyone liked Hitler too. Her point was that just because someone outwardly is charming does not mean that is the truth of who they are. Big difference. And it was for the comedic shock effect.

I love Tom Greens comments to Annie in the van. When she spoke of the Hitler comment, he replied that it was not personal, it was comedy. He then repeated 3 times that Annie let her get under her skin. Both good observations. Annie stated several times in her diary talks that she did not let people get to her. Well, she did.

I don't think it was a given that Joan would win. Had Joan not won 3 of the 5 criteria he would not have been able to do that and retain any credibility. And what if Annie won every criteria? Certainly he could not justify handing her the win. Now the question remains, did Trump talk to Kodac to make sure Joan won 3? This could be true. It doesn't matter. Trump was producing and entertainment show not looking for the best employee. We were entertained.

I also agree the event planner quitting was planned. Had it not been, you know he would have had to sign a contract stating that he would not bail. The "you cannot quit in the middle of my show" is in every contract.

I wonder how Annies friends, who donated huge sums, felt about learning the money was only 1/5 of the winning criteria. Them giving that money was partially political, had to be, and I believe they thought they would secure her win with their donations.

Weren't they donating the money to charity? Didn't the money go to charity? Weren't tjhey shown on national tv being generous in their charitable giving?

Didn't they earn points with Annie--which is what that kind of situation is all about?

How in any way could they be thought of as not getting all the positives here?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3443910;
    In all fairness, Joan did refer to Annie's people as Mafia and/or trash. May as well hang for a wolf.

That's not my impression. I believe Joan was referring to the people Annie hangs around with in her work as a poker player.

"Her people" would refer to anyone who worked for her--like her hair person and makeup person and personal assistant etc.

Her entourage--having a personal rather than a purely professional relationship with her.

That's my impression anyway.

+ Reply to Thread