+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ****SPOILERS***** 5/3 show discussion thread

Re: ****SPOILERS***** 5/3 show discussion thread

I will chime in since my husband watches a lot of poker:

Most of the "Poker Pros" are extremely intelligent. Besides the fact that many hold several degrees (which is more than you can say for the average person), they play a game which requires a lot of work in the mental department...for example, at any given time a player:
    is running odds (calculating numbers) in is his head (both 'implied' and 'pot')
    montioring the amount of money in his stack, in the pot and in his opponent's
    making tough decisions based on internal and external factors
    trying to 'read' his opponents psychologically, physically and emotionally.

Saying that poker is not an intellectual engagement makes it seem like these educated people are just throwing their lives (and education) away--yet, many are making more money playing poker than they likely could in the finance, engineering, etc... world.

And, by the way, obtaining multiple degrees from a higher intstitution of learning is an intellectual pursuit (what else would you call it?).

FORT Fogey

Nobody said that Anni wasn't intelligent.

But she is not engaged in intellectual pursuits.

Her father--who is a professor and who has written--if what I have heard is true--300 books--is.

Please note the diffference between "intelligent"--a quality of thought--and "intellectual"--a kind of activity.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tapper01;3434673;
    for what it is worth, I thought Clint Black's jingle was way better

IMO Clint's tune was prettier but Annie and Brande's jingle was much snappier. And snappy seems to be what the tuna guys wanted.

And yes that jingle was created through a collaboration between Annie and Brande--a fact that Annie seems to have forgotten.

IE--"I beat Clint Black!"

FORT Fogey

The exec's rejection of Clint's jingle made sense to me for exactly the reasons they gave - it was too country to serve the need of something as universal as a jingle. If that were to run on a country radio station, it would make sense and sound really good. But what about on a rock station? Urban contemporary station? The creative process with an ad has to take into consideration the flow of the spot on a variety of stations. For that reason, Annie's jingle made more sense.

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3435870;

Please note the diffference between "intelligent"--a quality of thought--and "intellectual"--a kind of activity.
    1 a: of or relating to the intellect or its use b: developed or chiefly guided by the intellect rather than by emotion or experience : rational c: requiring use of the intellect Merriam Webster

An intellectual (from the adjective meaning "involving thought and reason") is a person who uses his or her intelligence and analytical thinking, either in a profession capacity, or for personal reasons. - Wikipedia

I believe that a professional poker player would fall under either of the above definitions.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

how do you know she isn't tho????

Her father--who is a professor and who has written--if what I have heard is true--300 books--is.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iguanachocolate;3435950;
    1 a: of or relating to the intellect or its use b: developed or chiefly guided by the intellect rather than by emotion or experience : rational c: requiring use of the intellect Merriam Webster

An intellectual (from the adjective meaning "involving thought and reason") is a person who uses his or her intelligence and analytical thinking, either in a profession capacity, or for personal reasons. - Wikipedia

I believe that a professional poker player would fall under either of the above definitions.

Someone said it before me Annie and any other poker player is intellectual to a T.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3435232;
    I am so confused..maybe I watched the wrong show last night or something...but I thought Clint was eliminated and Jesse and Joan, along with Brande and Annie, were left?

The finale is next week?

I am so confused.

I also didn't know that Sandra Bullock and Jesse are married...geez, I am out of the loop.
    Someone help? anyone?

help....

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

You must have watched only the first hour - the second hour saw Jesse and Brande eliminated.

Someone wrote a recap of the show... I don't know who.....but it's posted at the top of this forum.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Annie was a month away from defending her PhD dissertation when she dropped out to get married.

+ Reply to Thread