+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ****SPOILERS***** 5/3 show discussion thread

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: ****SPOILERS***** 5/3 show discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by ranger1rg;3433667;
    if that's the task, annie wins -- she calls in all her bets to her bigtime poker buddies and other crooks she knows.
    Crooks? Im confused.. becuase they are poker players they are crooks?
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3434265;
    Crooks? Im confused.. becuase they are poker players they are crooks?
    Yes. Poker players are crooks, blue collar guys are white trash, blonds are stupid. You know a cliché isn't a cliché without a solid basis in fact.

In case any blonds are reading this post, this is what sarcasm looks like .

And in case anyone humourless is reading this post, the blond thing was a joke.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3433749;
    Actually she talks like someone who never got any compliments or props when she was a kid and she had to do all her own support.

\
    I would be willing to bet actual money (which I never do--I hate gambling) that in her family she is looked down on because she is the one who's not an intellectual.

And I'd be willing to bet that she went into poker playing to give her famous family the finger--figuritively.
    Wow, Annie NOT an intellectual... that’s funny. Annie has a degree from Columbia University as well as being awarded the National Science Foundation fellowship to study Psycholinguistics at University of Pennsylvania (Ivy League) so yeah.. I don’t think that her not being seen as smart is an issue. In fact the only thing I would say was stupid on her part was leaving her studies before earning her PhD. She was only weeks away.

As for her going in to poker to give her family the finger.. Well her Big Brother is a poker player too so I don’t think that’s why she did it. He helped her break in to it. That’s what I call family support.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3434296;
    Yes. Poker players are crooks, blue collar guys are white trash, blonds are stupid. You know a cliché isn't a cliché without a solid basis in fact.

In case any blonds are reading this post, this is what sarcasm looks like .

And in case anyone humourless is reading this post, the blond thing was a joke.
    I'm a blonde, Rattus, and I recognized your joke and smiled at it. Blondes who know they aren't stupid don't get offended. I also recognized the sarcasm about blue collar workers and poker players.

In reality, a high percentage of poker players have brilliant minds and advanced degrees. Many are engineers, mathematicians, attorneys, physicians, and business executives. Most of them are also extremely generous. And as far as being crooks goes, I'd put corporate executives and most political officers way higher up on the crook list. Poker players take money only from those who give it willingly. If I were good enough at it, I'd switch jobs in an instant.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3433770;
    I LOVE JESSE!!!! As he said he is just a welder from Long Beach! I see him and his wife all the time and they are SO normal.
    Yeah, he was great on the show and stuck to his guns about using his brain and hard work ethic instead of his connections. Good for him !!!!!! I still would have loved to see him in the finale and if Sandra would show up for him!!!!I'm betting she would do anything for him.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3434339;
    Wow, Annie NOT an intellectual... that’s funny. Annie has a degree from Columbia University as well as being awarded the National Science Foundation fellowship to study Psycholinguistics at University of Pennsylvania (Ivy League) so yeah.. I don’t think that her not being seen as smart is an issue. In fact the only thing I would say was stupid on her part was leaving her studies before earning her PhD. She was only weeks away.

As for her going in to poker to give her family the finger.. Well her Big Brother is a poker player too so I don’t think that’s why she did it. He helped her break in to it. That’s what I call family support.

I did not say Annie "Wasn't smart." One of my posts above does say she is smart.

But honestly folks--a few college degrees does not make one an intellectual. Engaging in intellectual pursuits does.

Playing Poker is NOT one of those.

Playing poker is gambling--and not hanging out with the nicest people--the people who run the venues where poker is played.

Florimel says--

"In reality, a high percentage of poker players have brilliant minds and advanced degrees. Many are engineers, mathematicians, attorneys, physicians, and business executives."

I suspect you're talking about people who play poker for a hobby or for fun?

Because being a Professional gambler--like Annie--is far different from being an engineer, a lawyer. etc and playing a game for fun.
    Last edited by steppemaster; 05-04-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3434444;
    I did not say Annie "Wasn't smart." One of my posts above does say she is smart.

But honestly folks--a few college degrees does not make one an intellectual. Engaging in intellectual pursuits does.

Playing Poker is NOT one of those.

Playing poker is gambling--and not hanging out with the nicest people--the people who run the venues where poker is played.

Florimel says--

"In reality, a high percentage of poker players have brilliant minds and advanced degrees. Many are engineers, mathematicians, attorneys, physicians, and business executives."

I suspect you're talking about people who play poker for a hobby or for fun?

Because being a Professional gambler--like Annie--is far different from being an engineer, a lawyer. etc and playing a game for fun.
    No,I'm not talking about people who player poker for fun although that would apply, too. Many of the top professional pokers were employed in the professions I mentioned above before they decided to quit/retire/switch jobs, etc., to play poker full time. I've mentioned a few of them in earlier posts, so I'm not going to restate the names, but most of us who follow poker know who they are.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Something I find very telling about Annie's psychology--when their work was deemed better--Annie's and Brande's--Annie kept going on and on about how "I won."' "I did it." Etc.

Most people who are truly members of a team wil say "WE won."

IMO her need to stres what she perceives as her own "accomplishments" connotes a personality that is lacking in basic confidence--and who must constantly bolster herself because she has not/does not receive--or does not think she receives--recognition from others.

If I had been Brande in that circumstance I would have let Annie know that there were TWO people on the winning team.

The other telling reaction of Annie's--She kept saying "I beat Clint Black" over and over--as though for her it is important to view everyone as some sort of threat to her own self-worth and competence.

This is not the reaction of a confident person.

FORT Regular

Please, I beg you, does anyone have the spoiler as to who wins next week. There is no way in Hell I'll be able to sit through THREE Hours of Annie. Three hours! can you believe the audacity of Donald. As far as I know this show has never broken the weekly top twenty in ratings, so just who will be watching this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by tfred;3434647;
    Please, I beg you, does anyone have the spoiler as to who wins next week. There is no way in Hell I'll be able to sit through THREE Hours of Annie. Three hours! can you believe the audacity of Donald. As far as I know this show has never broken the weekly top twenty in ratings, so just who will be watching this mess.
    she will still be telling the world SHE beat Clint Black and poor Brande had nothing at all to do with it

+ Reply to Thread