+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Joan Rivers - Season 2

FORT Newbie

Re: Joan Rivers - Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3405790;
    Good point about the female comedian thing. I didn't even think of that, but you are right. She really did pioneer the female stand-upcomedian role, didn't she?

I guess we had Lucille Ball earlier on but she was an actress - not a stand up. I can't think of any female stand up comics who have been as good or as famous as Joan both prior to and since her career peaked.

And now I adore here even more!

How about Totie Fields, or Rusty Warren? Moms Mably is in there, too!

Honestly, I think Joan is a tremendously talented and intuitive lady with regards to crowds and how to handle an audience. She handled the auction beautifully. Where I think she fails in this game is in her absolute need to vilify her competition. Whether it be Clint or Annie, when they are on her bad side they are evil scurge, akin to the worst that mankind has to offer. Really a pity that she cannot just see the competition for who they are and let that be. It's so unflattering that she has vilified them to the extent that she has.

I totally agree with the above, and to add her spawn to the mix ... ugh. For the record, one Rivers is enough, and I believe of the two Joan is the more talented.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Well said, Olaf - Joan has shown a great deal of talent and leadership on this show, but she has also shown an incredibly petty side of herself as well. And she seriously needs to cut the cord with Melissa already!!!

I think Joan would be a better player if ME-lissa wasn't in the mix!

Joan is okay but I can NOT stand ME-lissa...wonder if Joan wasn't her momma, where she would be today...

FORT Fogey

Where would Donald Jr. be if it weren't for Daddy? Ivanka seems to have a whole lot more on the ball than her seemingly clueless brother, although I'm sure being a Trump has advanced her career, too. These kids (including Melissa) just grew up in a whole different world of privilege, opportunities, and entitlement. Sure, they work, but Mommy and Daddy are looking out for them all the way and won't let them fail or go hungry, that's for sure. It's a safety net most of us do not have. Melissa uses her mother's last name instead of her father's (Rosenberg). Looking at it another way, I guess one could say why not use whatever advantages you have in this world to get ahead.

Ivanka's comment, that her dad would expect her to get out of the way of the bus, was a very telling difference between her and Melissa. Granted Ivanka's Trump connection helps her, but I thought she did well at Wharton Business School. She is poised and sharp. I think she would have done well regardless.

Joan/Melissa's relationship is not a healthy one for business if there were any employees under them. I think Trump is capable of recognizing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank;3420038;
    How about Totie Fields, or Rusty Warren? Moms Mably is in there, too!
    I love Rusty Warren's Bounce your boobies...

SO funny

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks;3424542;
    Ivanka's comment, that her dad would expect her to get out of the way of the bus, was a very telling difference between her and Melissa.
    I thought that statement fully illustrated the difference between the two. I don't believe that Trump would excuse failure or look for scapegoats like others would ... and that has made all the difference. In my opinion, Ivanka can make it on her own, she has the education, style and intelligence to make it. Melissa still relies on her parent ("Jump in anytime, mother.") Again, my opinion.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks;3424542;
    Ivanka's comment, that her dad would expect her to get out of the way of the bus, was a very telling difference between her and Melissa. Granted Ivanka's Trump connection helps her, but I thought she did well at Wharton Business School. She is poised and sharp. I think she would have done well regardless.

Joan/Melissa's relationship is not a healthy one for business if there were any employees under them. I think Trump is capable of recognizing that.
    I agree, but I think that's a pretty common difference between a mother-child relationship and father-child relationship. Sometimes its the reverse. I think some of the imbalance is probably because of the loss of the dad/husband - they've clung to each other since then. Trump appears to have been a pretty good dad based on what we see of his kids, but I am quite confident that the expectations were very high on his children, and that can sometimes backfire as well. In the case of his kids, it seems to have made them stronger.

+ Reply to Thread