+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Joan Rivers - Season 2

Re: Joan Rivers - Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox;3419074;
    comparing her to Amorossa is a gross injustice. Amorossa always portrayed herself as an arrogant, self-centered, ego maniac which is something you can't say about Joan Rivers.
    HAHA! That is why I save the Dramarosa comparison for ME-lissa.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I've gone from having no opinion about Joan Rivers to admiring her to disliking her. She's like a spoiled child. If she perceives someone as slighting her (or Melissa), she spews venom. Early on, when Annie volunteered to do the writing, Joan was livid that Annie didn't ask her. Joan didn't volunteer and didn't ask Annie to join the writing endeavor, but griped about it and I think said something like Annie was dead to her. Then Annie got back in her good graces for a brief time. Then Clint was dumped on -- yeah, Clint was annoying and a terrible project manager, but Joan went into personal attacks over it. Now, Annie is back in her sights. And this is all about a game. I can only imagine what the people she works with have had to put up with.

I was surprised from the start that Joan wasn't a big money raiser. With her show business contacts, QVC execs, rich friends, etc., I thought she'd bring in tons of money. I think it's quite telling that she hasn't been able to. I imagine there must be lots of people that Joan has gone off on over the years, and while Joan seems to forget it, I'm thinking that probably those people haven't.

She didn't bring in the money, but as the hotel concierge she had amazing contacts who were able to grant large favors.

Omarosa is nowhere near in the same league as Joan as regards entertainment, cleverness, shrewdness, and, yes, class: Joan's bitchiness is strategic and part of a comedic character; Omarosa is merely an annoying wannabe.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks;3419332;
    She didn't bring in the money, but as the hotel concierge she had amazing contacts who were able to grant large favors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks;3419332;
    True. And, I applauded her for that - and for taking responsibility for her mistakes. She did a fantastic job as concierge.

Actually, at the time when Joan threw a hissy fit about Annie not taking advantage of Joan's writing abilities, I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I thought Joan had a valid point, but her reaction was a bit extreme. It was only after seeing later reactions to Clint and then Annie again, that it seemed that this must be a regular behavior pattern.

In the last task, she did a great job in salvaging the auction. No question about it, she can still worrk an audience.

I have to say that I am truly and honestly surprised that Joan Rivers has fans. There has never been a point where she's been on my radar that she didn't disgust me, and this show has done absolutely nothing to alter my point of view. And her daughter? Oh vey. That's the product of some goooood parenting.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Joan explained in the boardroom that although she would have done a better job on some of the tasks, it wasn't supposed to be a one-person show, so she had to delegate as best she could. Trump seemed to accept that point, which surprised me a little. Natalie would not have been fired (for the reason she was fired) if Joan had given her some pointers about what jewelry to pick out. And I think she could have prepared Clint better for the auction.

Does Ivanka have any responsibility here? If she didn't want to be embarrassed by the inability to present small pieces of jewelry, then why were those made available for auction?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks;3419833;
    Joan explained in the boardroom that although she would have done a better job on some of the tasks, it wasn't supposed to be a one-person show, so she had to delegate as best she could. Trump seemed to accept that point, which surprised me a little. Natalie would not have been fired (for the reason she was fired) if Joan had given her some pointers about what jewelry to pick out. And I think she could have prepared Clint better for the auction.

Does Ivanka have any responsibility here? If she didn't want to be embarrassed by the inability to present small pieces of jewelry, then why were those made available for auction?
    Great point about Ivanka.

I think that the whole issue of avoiding a one person show is an interesting one, and one that i don't think has a simple black and white answer. You make a good piont about Joan not giving Natalie any pointers. Of course, if she had said "I'm going to send you -- now this is what you need to do to do it my way" what impact would that have? Would it be the equivilent of just picking the jewelery herself and naming herself auctioneer? If a PM micromanages the team too much, there's a risk that the team members will be insulted by that, and not be willing to work all that hard.

Agree, unless it is such a fundamental part of the task. Natalie still would have had to make some choices. The outfits still needed to work with the jewelry. Clint still needed to have a personality transplant.

Joan was awesome once she was on stage, but there was no discussion of what to do if things turned soured. As Piers said, it felt like months in there before things got going.

Invariably the PM is chosen based on having the most talent for the competition at hand. Joan should have done much more as PM. She should have been the one fired.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks;3419876;
    Agree, unless it is such a fundamental part of the task. Natalie still would have had to make some choices. The outfits still needed to work with the jewelry. Clint still needed to have a personality transplant.

Joan was awesome once she was on stage, but there was no discussion of what to do if things turned soured. As Piers said, it felt like months in there before things got going.

Invariably the PM is chosen based on having the most talent for the competition at hand. Joan should have done much more as PM. She should have been the one fired.
    I disagree that she should have been the one fired, because when problems happened, she was the one who fixed them. With the utter lack of charisma or talent that Clint showed as auctioneer, he should have never ever volunteered for the job. Joan didn't have anything to base his lack of ability on up front. It's reasonable to think that a singing star would know how to work a stage / room. But when she and Natalie recognized that it was not working, Joan not only recognized the need to fix it, but figured out HOW to do it in a way that was seamless and not insulting to Clint.

I will say, I do have to wonder why, once Joan was out on the stage, she didn't try to bring back out the rings that had not sold. I think it would have been worth the risk of bringing them back out at the end, and saying that now that they were showing more energy and enthusiasm, she was going to give them one last chance at a great deal. There was of course a risk in doing that they'd still not sell. But I'm willing to bet that if Joan had taken the lead on that one, they would have.

+ Reply to Thread