+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Joan Rivers - Season 2

FORT Fogey

Re: Joan Rivers - Season 2

I'm getting the feeling that Annie does not know how to respond to Joan.

Annie relies--when you get right down to it--on intimidation--especially of women.

She can't intimidate Joan--so she just kind of clams up when Joan goes after her.

IMO Annie is not as "strong" as she wants us to believe--her touting her "strength" constantly is all part of her self-created persona.

And where Annie talks strength-Joan actually IS strong to have survived and thrived for so many years.

My money's on Joan.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Prism;3432179;
    I'm cheering for Joan. Wish she hadn't walked off, and I want her back. She is one savvy lady, sharp-witted, smart, and street-smart too. I believe she's calculated how to handle the remainder of this gig, and I hope she prevails! The entertainment world has not always treated her kindly, though I believe she deserves a lot of respect for her work. You go girl!!!
    I am cheering for Joan, too! I like her spunk. I have to hand it to Joan.... she works so hard for a woman her age.... I am sure she has the money to live a lovely, comfortable life... yet she still slugs it out and keeps on going. Talk about the energizer bunny! I admire her in the fact she has overcome adversity and continues to put forth incredible effort. Many young hollywood starlets could learn some serious work ethic from this woman. Go Joan!

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3432230;
    I'm getting the feeling that Annie does not know how to respond to Joan.

Annie relies--when you get right down to it--on intimidation--especially of women.

She can't intimidate Joan--so she just kind of clams up when Joan goes after her.
    I actually go the feeling that Annie had the sense to shut the hell up and let that godawful, shrieking harpy hoist herself on her own ill-natured petard. Or hang herself with her own foul-mouthed rope - your choice of cliché. One would have to be stupid or insane to get into a verbal battle with someone so completely off the rails as that odious virago.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Joan has her major faults, for sure. She has a big ol' ugly blindspot when it comes to her daughter. Still, I actually like her more after seeing her on the show than I did before. Learning to put up with Clint's crap shows that she has some patience and I like her spunk. I wish I could have seen her on a show without her daughter. I think she could be a lot more fun without Melissa around. That woman is just toxic, in my opinion.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3432295;
    I actually go the feeling that Annie had the sense to shut the hell up and let that godawful, shrieking harpy hoist herself on her own ill-natured petard. Or hang herself with her own foul-mouthed rope - your choice of cliché. One would have to be stupid or insane to get into a verbal battle with someone so completely off the rails as that odious virago.
    That's what I saw, too, Rattus. Annie's had to learn to keep her composure and not get rattled by the poker brats she competes against. But those who don't like her, won't like her regardless. I would rather be Annie than be either of the Rivers women, though in earlier times I used to love Joan's comedy.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;3432305;
    Joan has her major faults, for sure. She has a big ol' ugly blindspot when it comes to her daughter. Still, I actually like her more after seeing her on the show than I did before. Learning to put up with Clint's crap shows that she has some patience and I like her spunk. I wish I could have seen her on a show without her daughter. I think she could be a lot more fun without Melissa around. That woman is just toxic, in my opinion.
    I agree. She probably would have been one of my faves if it weren't for her awful daughter. It's like she felt the need to defend her instead of sitting back and letting her take her lumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3432295;
    Ita, Annie is smart enough to know she doesn't have to do anything except sit back and watch Melissa and her insecurities do herself in. Annie did a brilliant job. I sat there and just waited for Mini MeLissa to pop off like a rock and as scheduled she did so. Annie had nothing to do with it. Annie didn't even need to hold the rope Melissa hung herself beautifully and looked like a fool afterwards.lol
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3432314;
    ...though in earlier times I used to love Joan's comedy.
    I will freely admit that I have always loathed Joan's comedy stylings. I have always thought her to be spiteful and unpleasant and I have never enjoyed humour whose sole function is to belittle someone else. I don't mind the occasional jab at someone else's expense, but listening to endless hours about how fat someone else is, or what a slut someone else is, or how poorly dressed someone else is - I just don't get the appeal. People bring up her paving way for other female comics, but I can think of, right off the top of my head, two of her contemporaries who did and have done well, bring the funny, and don't bring the hateful. Lily Tomlin and Carol Burnett. Lily I admire but am not a particular fan of, but Carol Burnett? She leaves Rivers in the dust and doesn't have to be a bitch to do it.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3432679;
    I will freely admit that I have always loathed Joan's comedy stylings. I have always thought her to be spiteful and unpleasant and I have never enjoyed humour whose sole function is to belittle someone else. I don't mind the occasional jab at someone else's expense, but listening to endless hours about how fat someone else is, or what a slut someone else is, or how poorly dressed someone else is - I just don't get the appeal. People bring up her paving way for other female comics, but I can think of, right off the top of my head, two of her contemporaries who did and have done well, bring the funny, and don't bring the hateful. Lily Tomlin and Carol Burnett. Lily I admire but am not a particular fan of, but Carol Burnett? She leaves Rivers in the dust and doesn't have to be a bitch to do it.
    Here, here!

I find both Joan and Melissa vile and contemptible. If Joan does return, I'd like to see Trump fire her for leaving.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Here's hoping, if she does land in another TC, that Trump fires her for outright unprofessionalism - something neither Rivers seems capable of understanding in the least.

+ Reply to Thread