+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Annie Duke - Season 2

Who is John Galt?

Re: Annie Duke - Season 2

I admire the woman for marking her mark in what is still a "mans world". She is one tough cookie and very smart. That being said, she could lighten up a bit and try to tone down the dictatorial manner that she uses to manage the other women. I think if she was a little more diplomatic and encouraging rather than giving orders, she would accomplish just as much and have earned the other women's respect for her leadership abilities. Unfortunately, she ended up with a lot of dissension and dislilke among the others for her methods.

we'll I know some of the girls like Claudia Jordan are mad at her because they know she is better. studying past episodes not mean you can actually execute them in real life. She can burn all the girls because most of them are jealous of her, I dont blame her for making them look like fools.
    I don't buy that. She doesn't seem that much better than anyone there. She seems like she thinks she is. Maybe she's smarter than some of the others; it's hard to gauge because she's so defensive, uptight, and bossy. I think those attributes are more of the reason she is disliked than jealousy.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by RAULINI1;3380287;
    WHAT LACK OF SOCIAL SKILLS, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??

SHe has the mosty social skills because she is calm and doesnt talk over people. She is extremely profesional because explains her point perfectly.

Examples:

In the cupcake challenge, being rude to a potential donor (who ended up buying 24 cupcakes for $9000 despite Annie).

The way Annie told Claudia how to frost the cupcakes. Instead of telling her to frost them this way..., if she had just prefaced her instructions with, "Here's how the chef recommended frosting the cupcakes" it would have come across a whole lot differently. A good manager says what results are required, and may give suggestions, but lets team members determine how to get the results.

If you're working on a team or trying to lead a team, it's not enough to know what to do and how to do it. You need to be able to convey it in a manner that makes other people want to do what you've asked them to do.

Quote Originally Posted by aname2;3380389;
    I admire the woman for marking her mark in what is still a "mans world". She is one tough cookie and very smart. That being said, she could lighten up a bit and try to tone down the dictatorial manner that she uses to manage the other women. I think if she was a little more diplomatic and encouraging rather than giving orders, she would accomplish just as much and have earned the other women's respect for her leadership abilities. Unfortunately, she ended up with a lot of dissension and dislilke among the others for her methods.
    Very well said - someone should send this to her ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;3381103;
    If you're working on a team or trying to lead a team, it's not enough to know what to do and how to do it. You need to be able to convey it in a manner that makes other people want to do what you've asked them to do.
    ... and this as well.

FORT Fan

I think Annie is going to win CA2. She is tough and overbearing, but also smart and can raise money - just like Piers in CA1. Even though it is not her general nature, she knows when to tone it down, just as she did after the second episode. I can't blame her for ignoring Melissa, after all the junk the mother-daughter combine threw at her.

I am rooting for her, still like her and love that she doesn't cower to the Rivers' two headed monster. She may indeed have said one thing but done another, but as someone else mentioned in the Joan thread ... so did Joan. She berated Natalie, then praised her to Trump as a great leader (paraphrased).

I can't stand Phil Hellmuth and if his donations to the other team cause her to be fired ... I will give him the evil eye everytime I see him play!!! (Although I think it was a brilliant idea, I hate that it may make her go before the Rivers.)
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

i like Annie. I think she's the only one who is really into this whole thing. For that alone, she has my support.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2;3414103;
    . . . I can't stand Phil Hellmuth and if his donations to the other team cause her to be fired ... I will give him the evil eye everytime I see him play!!! (Although I think it was a brilliant idea, I hate that it may make her go before the Rivers.)
    Iíve read that he has a lot of respect for Annie, itís not like they hate each other. Actually, I think KOTUís "brilliant idea" may backfire and bite them.

I think Annie will most likely win CA. But I lost a lot of respect for both Annie and Brande when they started playing the high-school Ďletís shut Melissa outí game. It reinforces the stereotype of catty, phoney women and I canít stand that kind of stuff. Melissa shouldnít have let it get to her.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;3416238;
    Iíve read that he has a lot of respect for Annie, itís not like they hate each other. Actually, I think KOTUís "brilliant idea" may backfire and bite them....
    I wondered about that too as Natalie was making the call. My husband watches a fair bit of poker, so I follow along some. I've never heard any hint of a Hellmuth-Duke rivalry. Hellmuth is a bit of a character and seems to think he's the greatest. When he loses, he criticizes his opponents, no matter who they are (he says stuff like the reason he lost was because his opponent didn't play their hand properly).

Anyway, I think Phil is at least as likely, if not more so, to feel like he needs to come to anorther poker player's aid as he is to try to stop an opponent. In the poker world, everyone is an opponent, but they're all members of the same club.

It might not work out for Natalie, but it is a tactic that I think Trump will appreciate, so may play in her favor anyway. Far more so than the attitude of Jessie to say he doesn't want to waste his contacts on this challenge.

+ Reply to Thread