+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: 3/11 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

James isn't too smart, opened his mouth too much in the BR. Better step it up soon.

Suraya, did he at one point say he works better alone? Thought I heard him say this, am I mistaken?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;2276648;
    James isn't too smart, opened his mouth too much in the BR. Better step it up soon.

Suraya, did he at one point say he works better alone? Thought I heard him say this, am I mistaken?
    He said he got along better when he wasn't leading. Something to that effect. That was all Trump needed to hear. He was fired seconds later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat;2276697;
    He said he got along better when he wasn't leading. Something to that effect. That was all Trump needed to hear. He was fired seconds later.
    I knew he said something like that, that was his undoing. Not very smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat;2276697;
    That was the very point I knew for sure he was going home. Trump doesn't want a follower. And what was the deal about his great record? It wasn't as if he lead all those tasks. I'm glad he's gone as he annoyed me. I'm a bit surprised that James didn't go as well, but I guess with last week's double firing maybe they could one do one tonight.

FORT Fogey
    Good riddance to Surya. He was awful.

I thought Bill was fun to watch last night. He was spunky and had a playful air about him.

He seems alot more saavy - and sassy - than we he first came on board the Trump train.

I was never a super fan, but he was good tv last night.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;2276765;
    That was the very point I knew for sure he was going home. Trump doesn't want a follower. And what was the deal about his great record? It wasn't as if he lead all those tasks. I'm glad he's gone as he annoyed me. I'm a bit surprised that James didn't go as well, but I guess with last week's double firing maybe they could one do one tonight.
    Nevertheless I was actually surprised that Trump didn't play more to the theme of his winning record with the rest of the team. Trump, as far as we and they knew, didn't really know how little Surya did towards those victories. He probably actually did, thanks to his spying production crew, but for the sake of the cameras I'd think he'd have pressed that button a bit more to force some kind of boardroom squabble over who really was responsible for the wins. At least in what we saw, post-editing, they barely touched upon that.

Again, this may be another victim of the "no ongoing eyes and ears" thing. In other seasons, they might have had Carolyn or George give a brief aside about how these people had done in previous tasks. Here? Not so much.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Surya, the whole show, blah blah...

Surya is a loser. I mentioned previously, he's a self-absorbed plansturbater who is too enamored with the processes that lead to business results. I was annoyed by the fact that he so readily claimed team victories as his own, but won't accept team failures as his own. It doesn't work both ways Surya... if you want to claim the good, you have to accept the bad.

He pointed a finger at Tim for thinking of the boxing ring idea. It amazes me that Trump did the same. Did I not hear people agree that the concept (which was generated by brainstorming) was okay, but execution was poor? If you agree to that, you don't shoot the guy with the concept, you shoot the guy who managed the execution. Once again, it was (or should have been) Surya.

He pointed a finger at James for asking last-minute questions. Bill said he figured it was ass-covering. I don't see it that way. Anyone remember what he asked? I believe he was noting his concern that the idea may not quite reach a crowd of 15,000 and get the brand idea across. And when you watched their shows, you saw the winning team using large visuals, simple bite-sized concepts, and it got across to the crowd. The losing show was nothing more than people in costume and a vague storyline that didn't reach the crowd. Bottom line: the "annoying" question by James was SPOT ON in trying to ensure proper execution. And guess what: James was right! Surya may not have appreciated the last-minute question, and sometimes it's annoying an uncomfortable, but you want people on your side who can stay above the groupthink. A good leader wouldn't simply get annoyed with that person and shut them up... a good leader would recognize the benefits of having that team member and MANAGE them to get the benefits while minimizing their impact. Surya didn't.

In the end Surya said he worked better when he's not a leader, which was of course a dumb statement to make. But y'know Donald responded with a comment that brings to question this whole show and "interview" process. He said he's not looking for someone who doesn't perform as a leader. True. But if that is the case, why did he even consider James and Tim, since any weaknesses they might have had in this task were not leadership problems. They might have been a weakness of a "sole provider", but often the best leaders aren't great as sole providers. A leader isn't necessarily a skilled sales brochure maker, or skilled at booking entertainment for events. Yet this is what they're being judged against. If you're looking for a leader, judge the leader.

For me, as I've said, this show would do well to stop the challenges based on sellng somebody's product, with interviewees relegated to roles as event planners. They need to get back to real projects that relate to the business world.

My last comment for Surya... he can complain that he's been screwed, but the truth is the show and its producers did him a favor putting him on air, which they no doubt did because he makes drama and drama makes good TV. He is a mediocre talent, with little more to bring to the table than can be gleaned from a 10-minute scan of a "Leadership for Dummies" book.
    "The key to keep away is having a lot of extra hats at home..."

Quote Originally Posted by Monkadelic;2278996;
    Surya is a loser. I mentioned previously, he's a self-absorbed plansturbater who is too enamored with the processes that lead to business results. I was annoyed by the fact that he so readily claimed team victories as his own, but won't accept team failures as his own. It doesn't work both ways Surya... if you want to claim the good, you have to accept the bad.

.... He is a mediocre talent, with little more to bring to the table than can be gleaned from a 10-minute scan of a "Leadership for Dummies" book.
    I just want to let you know that this was a brillant post and thank you for writing it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678