+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Donald and Melania attend the Golden Globe awards

Donald and Melania attend the Golden Globe awards

Golden Globes need a comb-over

By Kevin McDonough
    Monday, January 15, 2007

The award season begins in earnest with the “64th Annual Golden Globe Awards” (7 p.m., NBC).

There was a time when the Golden Globes were an international joke, but that time has passed. Then came a time when the Globes were a guilty pleasure, a chance to watch celebrities vie for a largely meaningless award and the possibility that some of them might drink too much and get plastered in the process. But that, too, was a long time ago.

Now the Globes are taken seriously. They represent an early onset of Oscar fever. And we all know how important that is!

Why am I yawning?

In many ways, the Golden Globes have followed a celebrity trajectory not unlike that of Donald Trump. In the 1980s, both the gilded Donald and the Golden Globes were seen as a symbol of zircon excess. They seemed perfectly suited for the era’s emerging tabloid culture. Trump conducted his divorce proceedings on the front page. Globe voters appeared to be on the take, and they bestowed their highest honors on Pia Zadora. But eras end and ersatz infamy subsides.

After a decade or so in purgatory, both the Globes and the Donald returned, stronger than ever. In fact, both blossomed on NBC. But that, too, seems a long time ago. Has anyone really cared about “The Apprentice” since Omarosa’s last tirade? And can anyone remember who won Golden Globes last year? Or recall anything fun or outrageous or scandalous about last year’s Globes? Both “The Apprentice” and the Globes seem to be about publicity for publicity’s sake. As such, both ventures have a hollow, been-there-done-that feeling to them.

Some of you might say I’m being too harsh and that the Globes recognize excellence in movies and television. But if you’re looking for excellence on television, you’ll be watching “24” tonight and reading about the Golden Globes in tomorrow’s paper.

Link to article

Edited to add pictures of Donald, Melania and Ivanka arriving at the Golden Globes

Donald and Melania

Donald and Melania 2

Ivanka

Ivanka 2

The camerman must have liked Ivankas shoes lol!

Ivanka's shoes
    Last edited by Cleocatra; 01-16-2007 at 03:54 AM.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Melania looks bored.. and I can't tell which of the "Trump Women" have had more work done.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

She does look bored but I think she's trying to go for "sultry"

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenHandbasket;2212318;
    She does look bored but I think she's trying to go for "sultry"

Someone should tell her it doesnt work for her :nono
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

+ Reply to Thread