+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ivanka

There's something about her that I like. Like someone said previously in the thread, she is the anti-Paris Hilton. Recently there was a little article here in the local newspaper where someone compared her to Paris Hilton and she basically said that while she had nothing against Paris the main comparisons between the two of them are that they both come from families with money and that the comparisons pretty much end there. She stated something to the effect that she would rather work hard to make her own money and be taken seriously in the business world than to let the Trump name alone get her respect in the business world. She also took some offense at being labeled a "debutante". I think she really wants to succeed on her own merits, which is admirable. We in the real world know that silver spoon she was born with will help her, but at least she seems willing to use it more as a safety net and still is willing to try and build a reputation as a businesswoman in her own right.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferBlonde;2200958;
    Since Donald hates everyone with an opposing viewpoint, maybe Caroline never dared to oppose Donald on any candidate/firing. But maybe Ivanka would. I'd love to see her go against her dad head to head. She would make him look stupid and boorish :-)
    The ratings will skyrocket in an instant
    All Hail Omarosa

FORT Regular
    I didn't like her agreeing with her father about Michelle being a loser. I'd like to see her in tent city for one night.

I like her, she has poise and seems intelligent. Unlike Paris and others you don't see her stumbling, drunk and pantyless on a nightly basis.

However...if she wants to prove herself and make it on her own, starting her career on her daddy's reality show isn't the best way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenHandbasket;2215677;
    I like her, she has poise and seems intelligent. Unlike Paris and others you don't see her stumbling, drunk and pantyless on a nightly basis.

However...if she wants to prove herself and make it on her own, starting her career on her daddy's reality show isn't the best way to go about it.
    She started her first career ten years ago as a model. So this is hardly her first venture. It's actually more like her third career, since in between modeling and T.V. stardom she was at least serious enough about a business career to get an economics degree.

On the other hand, it only took her 2 1/2 years out of college and one other non-Daddy job to become a Vice President at Trump Org, so yeah... its not like there isn't some nepotism going on. But at least that work for Daddy is apparently somewhat real, not make-work.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I agree that she's probably a very hard worker. However, she doesn't have a standard model body so she got modelling work through daddy's connections, she likely had the grades to get into Wharton, but again, it was daddy's school and now she graduated and is working for....Daddy!

All 3 careers (if you count education as a career) have been using her name and connections. She may be a hard worker but there are lots of hard workers out there, including those in a tent in Trump's back yard, so to have a position as a judge when you've never really had to face any of the obstacles a normal person would face does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

That said, she has pulled it off with a reasonable amount of class.

True, Ivanka has little "real world" experience, if by definition "real world" means having to make it - get an education, a job, and handle your own financial matters on your own with no help from your extraordinarily wealthy family. In that respect, she has had every advantage and little or no disadvantages in her life. On the other hand, I give her a lot of credit for making good use of the advantages she has been given and not acting like a spoiled brat (Paris Hilton) or stuffing drugs up her nose or in her arm like many, many rich kids, child stars, and young actors. She also impresses me with her poise and class. On the downside, she emulates Daddy too much by judging people based on their "winning" or "losing" a challenge, unless she feels she has to "win" Daddy's approval by agreeing with him on everything.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by aname;2216393;
    True, Ivanka has little "real world" experience, if by definition "real world" means having to make it - get an education, a job, and handle your own financial matters on your own with no help from your extraordinarily wealthy family. In that respect, she has had every advantage and little or no disadvantages in her life. On the other hand, I give her a lot of credit for making good use of the advantages she has been given and not acting like a spoiled brat (Paris Hilton) or stuffing drugs up her nose or in her arm like many, many rich kids, child stars, and young actors. She also impresses me with her poise and class. On the downside, she emulates Daddy too much by judging people based on their "winning" or "losing" a challenge, unless she feels she has to "win" Daddy's approval by agreeing with him on everything.
    Just for clarification. When she went to boarding school. Trump only paid for her tuition. That is why she started modeling to pay for her other expenses. So I do think she has some real world experiences. How many 14 year old is handling their own personal finances and making big money? Plus after Wharton she worked at another fortune 500 company not owned by Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1964;2219588;
    Just for clarification. When she went to boarding school. Trump only paid for her tuition. That is why she started modeling to pay for her other expenses. So I do think she has some real world experiences. How many 14 year old is handling their own personal finances and making big money? Plus after Wharton she worked at another fortune 500 company not owned by Trump.
    did he only pay her tuition or did he give her a $300 a month allowance, like Don Jr. said last season that he received. And seemed to think that it was a small amount to live with. When all other expenses are paid $300 is not a small amount--obviously in their world as he seemed to indicate it was small, but in the real world it's not.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;2219690;
    did he only pay her tuition or did he give her a $300 a month allowance, like Don Jr. said last season that he received. And seemed to think that it was a small amount to live with. When all other expenses are paid $300 is not a small amount--obviously in their world as he seemed to indicate it was small, but in the real world it's not.
    According to her biography- only tuition and books were paid. And for NY $300 is small you can just blow that in getting around the city. In the 80's during college my personal needs were more than $300 per month: phone, internet, weekend food, transporation, gas, music, drinking, clubs and personal items- I too had to work but not as a model.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123