+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: James - Season 6

FORT Fogey
    Well, I am not Asian, so I don't have a clue of whether the term "Oriental" is offensive or not, therefore I'll avoid it.

I'll just say that I think this guy is CUTE and I hope he does well.

Quote Originally Posted by psylancer;2197148;
    I'm Asian, and certainly I did not mean to bring any insult to the table what-so-ever, I apologize beforehand. Perhaps it is a western-Asian thing, we (eastern Asian) don't mind calling ourselves oriental though. Besides, what I was trying to imply was the far-eastern Asians (japanese, chinese, korean etc), I had no intention to offend anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy Leung;2197711;
    ummm Im Asian too, and Ive never heard of Asians being offended by the term "Oriental." Oriental is the technical term for us, and its actually better if you call us that instead of "Asian" because "Asian" includeds ALL countries in Asia, not just countries in the Orient, but most people when they hear "Asian" they think of an Oriental Asian person, rather than an Indian or a Sri Lanken.
    Great info, I would never have known.

BTW on paper James looks good, a bit young but after watching the show last night I thought he was a pompous, overbearing a$$ and wanted him gone, gone, gone.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

His voice really annoys me. There's something about it that I can't stand.

I'm not saying what he says annoys me though.

I liked him and he worked harder than anyone else.

I really like James so far. I think I'll go with him as my favorite to start off. Last season my favorite won!

Quote Originally Posted by dguy;2188161;
    I'm sure you don't mean to offend, but nowaday is a real faux pas to call Asian people "orientals" as that word has imperial connotations. Much like how the N word for black people has negative connotations as well.
    I am Filippino I am not insulted by the word Oriental. I often use Oriental instead of Asian. My country is called the Pearl of the orient. I am proud to be Oriental.

We see a lot of guys showed up with their sexuarity this week but james.So I'm curious to see his!

Oriental means East, that's all. So calling some one Oriental means that they come from the East. Occidental means West.

James is an early favourite for me too!

Go James!!!!!!!!!1

I still like him. He is a go getter with a lot of energy, drive, and creativity. His biggest problem is his voice, but voice lessons (learning to turn down the volume and speak a little slower) would help. Trump could not go wrong by hiring him right from the get go and will lose out if he fires him. But, I also think his personality might not appeal to Trump, so I doubt he'll make it all the way.

Regarding the Asian/Oriental question. Although I am not personally Asian, my son is 1/4
    Chinese and is married to a Filipino woman, so my grandchildren are lovely mix of many races. I also live in Hawaii which is predominately Asian and I am well acquainted with their culture. I have never heard any of them take offense at being called Oriental and usually think it is funny when they are mistaken for a nationality other than their own (thinking a person of Chinese ethnicity is Japanese). As a culture, they are very family oriented, and gracious people. They value education and hard work. Both James and Yul (Survivor) appear to embody those values.
    Last edited by aname; 01-25-2007 at 02:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast