+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Apprentice: A Change Is Gonna Come

The Apprentice: A Change Is Gonna Come

Someone is trying to light a fire and spark some interest in this show. So much so, they are going Survivor-esque.

TV Guide Reveals Five Big Changes to The Apprentice

by Ileane Rudolph

Donald Trump was so excited when filming the sexier sixth edition of The Apprentice "It's the best we've done," he crows that he tore off his tie and took off his shoes. "It's different, it's certainly looser," the real-estate tycoon says of the NBC reality show, which returns on Sunday, Jan. 7 (with a 90-minute premiere). TV Guide was offered the exclusive first look at the ramped-up show, which drew just 9.9 million viewers last spring, less than half of 2004's Season 1 average. Here's what to expect.

1. California, Here They Come
    The 18 competitors were flown to L.A., bidding goodbye to the show's traditional corporate setting in Manhattan. But moving to the West Coast doesn't mean hanging out by the pool and soaking up the rays (at least not all the time). The ambitious Trump wannabes are still ruthlessly vying for a six-figure job with the entrepreneurial mogul.

2. Apprentice Goes Survivor (Sort Of)
    Each week's winning team will "live like kings" in a mansion overlooking Beverly Hills, Trump reveals. And the others? "The losers live like hell," sleeping in two tents with no hot showers or closets which the clueless players have to erect themselves in the estate's backyard, before they even unpack their bags. "It's tough, but not quite Survivor," says Apprentice executive producer Mark Burnett, who created both series. "They're living in L.A. with plenty to eat and no giant creepy-crawlers. Some take it in stride, but for others, it was very hard to cope," he says. Look for at least one meltdown from a stressed-out player.

3. Spies in the Boardroom
    Old standbys George H. Ross and the recently fired Carolyn Kepcher are out as Trump's advisers in the boardroom, where someone from the losing team is fired each week. In their place, Trump offspring Don Jr., 28, and Ivanka, 25, (pictured above) take turns at the boss' side, along with previous Apprentice winners. Plus, there's a new twist: Each week's winning project manager who remains the team leader until he or she loses will also be at the boardroom table offering up an opinion and sizing up the opposition.

4. Swimsuiting Up
    One challenge involves creating and marketing swimsuits on the beach in Santa Monica, and some of the candidates decide to model the merchandise themselves. Maybe that's what leads to what Burnett calls a "vigorous romantic hookup."

5. Rewards, Hollywood-style
    Project winners get a trip to the Playboy Mansion to hang with Hugh Hefner and a dinner with celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck at his fabled Spago restaurant. And, of course, there's the perk of that lavish mansion. Says Trump: "One of the great rewards is living like a king, as opposed to living like a dog."
    Link

FORT Fogey
    I think it's officially time to put a fork in The Apprentice. With changes like that, it's done.

It won't be the same without Carolyn. I prefer that it stayed in New York City. The ratings have been decreasing every year and I believe this will be the end for The Apprentice.

I didn't watch TA last season, because Trump has turned a show with real potential into a side show. The only interesting idea he had was to involve his kids. The greater Donald's involvement in the show the lower the rating became, because he only sees women as sex objects and his ego overrides any small amount of good sense he MAY have.

I posted 2 seasons ago that as soon as Donald realized that Caro was so much more respected and liked than he was, that she was OUT. I guess her blind loyalty to him didn't pay off in the end. Hopefully George has retired and ditched Don for good.

I saw him on TV saying that woman liked him for his brain. It's you money, Don, deal with the reality.

I can't imagine real business men and women subjecting themselves to this joke of a reality show. It can only have a negative impact on their professional lives.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat????? Come on Donald. This looks horrible. SLeeping in tents? What does that have to do with business. I remeber the good 'ol days when this show was good.
    You've heard of theater in the round? Well, you're looking at the man who invented theater in the square! Nobody had a good seat!"

-The Producers

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2179919;
    I didn't watch TA last season, because Trump has turned a show with real potential into a side show. .........

I posted 2 seasons ago that as soon as Donald realized that Caro was so much more respected and liked than he was, that she was OUT.
    I totally agree with you, dberk. I stopped watching TA a couple of seasons ago because it just lost any credibility and honesty, and I can honestly say I haven't missed it a bit since I stopped watching.

But if I were still watching, I'd have been out the moment he brought his kids in, though. The Trump Bunch isn't a show that appeals to me. And Caroline was a distinct factor in the respectability of TA. I stopped watching it before Caroline was gone, so I'm glad I missed that spectacle, though.

But these ideas he has, as written in the article above.... tents? The show is now officially nothing more than a cartoon show. May as well move it to the Cartoon Network on Saturday mornings.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Each week's winning project manager — who remains the team leader until he or she loses — will also be at the boardroom table offering up an opinion and sizing up the opposition.
    Okay... say we have a dominant team, and one sucky team again this season. So one person gets an opportunity to be PM until he/she loses? They'll stay PM for multiple challenges and will ultimately get lauded for their skill, while many others on his/her team will never get the opportunity to demonstrate their PM capabilities. That sucks.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2182013;
    Okay... say we have a dominant team, and one sucky team again this season. So one person gets an opportunity to be PM until he/she loses? They'll stay PM for multiple challenges and will ultimately get lauded for their skill, while many others on his/her team will never get the opportunity to demonstrate their PM capabilities. That sucks.
    And being PM until you lose will likely backfire. The minute he/she loses, they will be ousted. Forget how many wins they had, it will be "you were on fire but you screwed up. You're fired!" It's like having a huge target on your back.

I don't care to see the young Trumps and I too quit watching a couple of seasons ago. Carolyn was my fave and I doubt the kids have much expertise to share as they've only been out of diapers a few years They probably had to read all of their dad's books though, so they could learn to think like him.

But if there's absolutely nothing else on, I might watch. But if it's up against Prison Break or 24, fugettabouttitt! (I hope that's not considered lingo )

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2182149;
    I don't care to see the young Trumps and I too quit watching a couple of seasons ago. Carolyn was my fave and I doubt the kids have much expertise to share as they've only been out of diapers a few years
    That's a really good point, ACF. George and Carolyn had the credentials and background to merit their sitting in on the judging of the candidates. The Trumpettes don't, making their sitting in those seats even more of a joke than I originally thought. Yes, Junior graduated from Wharton and has been playing in Daddy's organization since 2001 and appears to be an intelligent person, but he doesn't yet have the chops to judge the candidates. Ivanka's merits are even less impressive. She could give great modeling and makeup tips, I'm sure, but her dabbling in real estate with Daddy's toys is just Trump press fluff per norm.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I honestly can't see watching this season....unless there really is nothing else on.
    But these "new twists" just sound silly!
    I agree that this will probably be the end of the Apprentice.
    ---------------------
    opps....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast