+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Thread: 3/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

CEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortunato View Post
    I think the graphics designers are basically just tools for the candidates to use (they know their software inside and out) and probably are not allowed to give actual input to improve the product.
    ...and the designer on the show was using Adobe InDesign, which is considered to more complicated than most (but WAYYYYYY better than Quark, especially if the printing contractor can rip the files with the PSDs embedded, but I digress). This person was a pro but was obviously sitting on their paws until told to put something somewhere.

It's a question of missing the forest for the trees. Deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    ...and the designer on the show was using Adobe InDesign, which is considered to more complicated than most (but WAYYYYYY better than Quark, especially if the printing contractor can rip the files with the PSDs embedded, but I digress). This person was a pro but was obviously sitting on their paws until told to put something somewhere.
    Do people actually do art design in Quark? I thought it was mostly for documentation. The old PageMaker and InDesign (its descendant?) tended to be better for shorter docs and brochures and the like.

Yeah, the two designers definitely were competent enough to do whatever they were asked to do by the teams.

CEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortunato View Post
    Do people actually do art design in Quark? I thought it was mostly for documentation. The old PageMaker and InDesign (its descendant?) tended to be better for shorter docs and brochures and the like.
    Yes, you can use quark for anything. I have made everything from hundred page catalogs to three page folding flyers with Quark. Once you figure out clipping and layers, anything is possible. The neat thing about quark is once you know it, it is a snap because it doesn't really do much. The only thing I never really want to do with Quark is print ads -- Photshop works fine for nearly every publication and some of them look at you cross-eyed (well, if you were in person instead of FTP they would) when you try to submit a quark file.

Pagemaker and InDesign might both be made by Adobe, but that is where any similarity ends. If you present a project to any competent pre-press department in Pagemaker, they laugh at you behind your back. InDesign, however, is changing (or will change) the industry.

Holy off-topic, Batman. Sorry, guys, I'll' swing it back to the topic at hand.

I was actually impresed to see the designers at Post using indesign. It means to me that it is starting to get alot of acceptance in the industry. It also means that the designers really COULD make ANYTHING that the teams could dream up.

+ Reply to Thread