+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627

Thread: 3/13 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Lenny certainly has the right to believe that Lee and Dan were wrong to take the high holy days off, I think it was less than intelligent of him to say it so loud and long on a national tv show where he's applying for a job with a company that needs to be concerned about its public image.

I don't think Trump is worried about it. For one, I don't think Lenny will even be TA, but also Trump made it very clear that he was fine with the Jewish candidates observing the holiday and even mentioned that George did also.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MissThing View Post
    I think we can have strong suspicions that Lenny hasn't any firm evidence on this subject - if he had, he surely would have said so. He's certainly not a shrinking violet.
    A question that should of been asked is if Lee and Dan respected this holiday in previous years, no matter what.
    What evidence could Lenny have? Everyone knew that Lee and Dan profited from following their religious holiday, even if it was an unforseen benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by NewFORTFan View Post
    A question that should of been asked is if Lee and Dan respected this holiday in previous years, no matter what.
    What evidence could Lenny have? Everyone knew that Lee and Dan profited from following their religious holiday, even if it was an unforseen benefit.
    Well, for the suspicious amongst us, we might guess that since this holiday falls during the school year, these two may have observed it as a way to get out of school work, too.

Seriously, I think this is much ado about nothing. I'm not Jewish myself, but like Mariner, it's been my experience all through school and into the workforce that observing this holiday is never unexpected, and is just not a big deal. The only reason it became a big deal this time is because Lenny elected to try to make it so.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Newbie
    people here have no concept of what it means to be an orthodox jew. In truth, if you don't live (or lived and left) an orthodox lifestyle, you really have no clue what it means to be an orthodox jew.

One element of orthodox judaism is putting limits on oneself. That means not "working" (where work is a heavily defined concept, too big to get into here) on the sabbath and specific sabbath like holidays (holidays like chanuah aren't "sabbath like" in that respect). For example, my great grandfather basically had this pattern when he first came to america.

get a job on monday, work through friday. Not come into work on saturday. Come in and monday and be told if he didn't work that next saturday, he'd be fired. Work the week through friday, doesn't come in on saturday, comes in on monday and is told he's fired and goes off to find a new job.

If one's an orthodox jew, one rather get fired (i.e. no exception even if one is going hungry).

As a I said on another forum, if you don't live a life, you don't understand it, even if you do something related. If me a a jew is working with a catholic and a protestant, and the catholic has to leave to go take comunion, and the protestant says "This is bull", just because both are christians, doesn't make the protestant's opinion valid in regards to what a catholic is supposed to or not supposed to do.

The other question is, does anyone here have any evidence that Dan and Lee weren't being genuine in their beliefs?

I'll quote Dan's brother as he relates in an interview

http://www.canonist.com/?p=545

As to Brody’s observance, “all I know is Daniel would in no way compromise the holidays or Shabbos for the show…how the show’s going to portray that or ignore that, I don’t know…I know that the very few times he would call he would say they’re taping us 24-7.”
    “For me it’s very interesting to see what they’re gonna do with Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur and Succos.”
    As to when the show would have known he is Orthodox: “Number one, they had his resume, and they saw that he went to Yeshiva University…he told them he was orthodox…so there’s no question that they were aware of it from the beginning.”
    As to kosher, “He would never compromise…he would not eat not kosher for the sake of the show, that’s not the way he is.”

More on observance: “He’s orthodox, he puts tefillin on every single day…keeps a completely kosher home…his wife covers her hair…his children go to Orthodox schools…all his siblings are orthodox…he goes to a learning class at night with the rabbi of his synagogue.”
    basically, if you're not religiously observant, the above quote mostly sounds like gibberish, but it basically means, Dan's orthodox without question, and would probably disapoint his family if he did anything that went against orthodoxy.

FORT Fogey
    thetoad,

If Dan & Lee are orthodox, why did they work on a Saturday on the task with the text messaging? Shouldn't they have taken the day off?

Quote Originally Posted by gracie727 View Post
    thetoad,

If Dan & Lee are orthodox, why did they work on a Saturday on the task with the text messaging? Shouldn't they have taken the day off?
    Well, if they worked on the Shabbat, they're not that Orthodox. There are levels of orthodoxy, but none of them allow for breaking either the Shabbat or any of the High Holy Days.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

As mentioned before, I am not particularly observant. I do not keep Shabbat and I do not keep kosher, for example. But I would never work on Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur.

For many of us, these two holidays are different from the rest. So, I don't hold Lee and Dan to a different standard. Of course, I don't know, but I would wager that George will work on Saturday if need be, too.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Newbie
    Do you know for a fact that they worked saturday. All we saw of them working was

1) being in central park w/ donald trump (arguable)
    2) meeting discussing what term they wanted to use and then lenny ran out and it was very dark already (i.e. sabbath was over).

Lots of people have already decided it's ok to observe your religion, including the Constitution: freedom of religion.

+ Reply to Thread