+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Lenny - Season 5

CEO
    I have really been conflicted about how I feel about all this. On one hand, Lee and Dan should obvioulsy be afforded the freedom to practice their religeon. On the other hand, their team mates deserve to have them particpating as much as the rest of the team -- especially since this is a competition.

I think I have decided that if religeon is such a big deal to Lee and Dan, they should not have committed to a process that would interfere with their holidays. Notice the word committment in that sentence. If they are hampered, for whatever reason, from giving 100 percent for the entire time, then do something else.

Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    I think I have decided that if religeon is such a big deal to Lee and Dan, they should not have committed to a process that would interfere with their holidays. Notice the word committment in that sentence. If they are hampered, for whatever reason, from giving 100 percent for the entire time, then do something else.
    That's a decent way to look at it. And if they choose to enter the competition anyway, then I think their absence does make them fair game. (It doesn't mean they should be fired, but I think it makes valid someone's gripe that Lee chose his own commitments over the team's commitments and thus hurt the team by his absence.)

If I did the same thing due to my Christian faith, I would expect and accept that the team could consider that a conflict of interest. That's only fair.

Lee, to his credit, did say he didn't want a free pass and was willing to pay for his decision if need be. That's impressive coming from someone so young.

I understand Trump doesn't want to look bad by firing someone due to "religious absence," but at the same time I think he is not letting people shoulder the responsibilities for their decisions of faith.

Note to MissThing: Okay, maybe they didn't know up front this would fall over Yom Kippur and the rest. I don't know when they find out shooting schedules. If they didn't know, then they had less control over what to do about it... If they did, then it gets a little messy like above.

We don't know that it was a given that there were going to be tasks assigned during their holidays. In other words, they may not have made a commitment with the knowledge that there would be a scheduling conflict. Trump clearly has other employees who observe these holidays, and it's not a problem for him. In my mind, attempting to make it an issue isn't going to fly, as the Trump organizations already have a standing policy on the issue of respecting these days.

Given that, I am not sure we can fault Lee (or Dan) for not forseeing that there would be a potential problem. When I was in college, there were no tests or other obilgations scheduled for these holidays - it's not an unreasonable expectation (to me) that the producers would have taken the calendar into consideration when coming up with the program's schedule.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortunato View Post
    My take is that Lenny actually believed what he was saying. He wasn't just doing it for tactical advantage (although it could be used that way); he actually did think less of those guys and believed they were trying to cut out of the task by leveraging their Jewish heritage.
    My husband and I thought the exact same thing. Lenny seems to put his "work" ahead of his faith. Having been a vague workaholic myself, I can understand it. Lenny does what needs to be done to get the job done. It's just who he is.

It doesn't make him better or worse than the others, but it's definitely part of his makeup, and it can make him resent people he perceives as being less dedicated.

I don't see the problem that needs to be solved by this dictate. They made their decision to observe a religious holiday. Lenny made his decision to criticize them. Trump can make his own decisions about whether to take into account any of their decisions when he hires someone. Trump may not have fired Lee this week for deciding to observe the holiday, but I have no doubt Lee will pay for it in the end if Trump feels it wasn't a valid decision.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpch View Post
    I don't see the problem that needs to be solved by this dictate. They made their decision to observe a religious holiday. Lenny made his decision to criticize them. Trump can make his own decisions about whether to take into account any of their decisions when he hires someone. Trump may not have fired Lee this week for deciding to observe the holiday, but I have no doubt Lee will pay for it in the end if Trump feels it wasn't a valid decision.
    Yeah, it's a self-correcting situation.

When it gets down to the final two, everything matters. It could easily cost Lee a victory, if he makes it that far, if the other candidate was present for all tasks and has as good a record. (Lee already has his inexperience going against him.)

I thought of the following when I saw the clip of Lee walking into the synagogue: You don't just walk into a synagogue during the High Holidays. I don't care how large or small the community is. You have to have advance tickets, whether you're a member of that shul or not. The only thing I can think of is that the Trump organization pulled real quick financial strings to get him into Kol Nidre services during Yom Kippur, unless this is Lee's synagogue to begin with. But you do have to have tickets in advance.

Not to turn this Lenny thread into a Lee thread! If memory serves me (and it doesn't lately), did Lenny not keep his mouth shut about Lee during Boardroom? I guess Bryce said what he was thinking this time, so he didn't have to say.

Still not a Lenny fan. I think he's full of it. I like what Bill Rancic said regarding: "How long have you been here in the States?" "14 years". "I think you're using that as a mask."

Quote Originally Posted by shaynas_mom View Post
    I thought of the following when I saw the clip of Lee walking into the synagogue: You don't just walk into a synagogue during the High Holidays. I don't care how large or small the community is. You have to have advance tickets, whether you're a member of that shul or not. The only thing I can think of is that the Trump organization pulled real quick financial strings to get him into Kol Nidre services during Yom Kippur, unless this is Lee's synagogue to begin with. But you do have to have tickets in advance.
    This may be true in your experience, but it's wrong to imply that this is universal. You can walk into any congregation for any service (in most places) and be completely welcome as a guest. I've never seen "tickets" in use at any synagogue I've ever been to. And yes, these posts belong in the Lee thread.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by shaynas_mom View Post
    II like what Bill Rancic said regarding: "How long have you been here in the States?" "14 years". "I think you're using that as a mask."
    Completely disagree with Bill Rancic. Actually I find his comment.. well... not very smart and quite ignorant.

Lenny like thousands of legal immigrants came to this country to start his life from scratch.

Do you honestly think that learning what's the jingle was one of his priorities?

I wonder would be Bill familiar with some not very important terms if he lived 14 years in Russia?

I doubt it.

The result is that Lenny became quite succesful even WITHOUT a "comprehensive" knowledge of jingle.

I think the main problem with this dude, who otherwise would have made a very capable apprentice, is his not being Americanized enough yet, not in terms of language nor culture, i.e. not knowing what is considered appropriately tactful to Americans. He's been here 14 years, but perhaps he's been dealing mostly with fellow Russians.

+ Reply to Thread