+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Lenny - Season 5

I agree with you that he is the naysayer or "no" man of the team. He doesn't follow other people if he disagrees with them, and he is often right because he does have common sense. That's what happens to someone who flees to the freedom-loving America from a totalitarian regime, until they eventually realize that it's not that different here in the dog-eat-dog business world, sometimes.

The ability to go against the tide is required of a leader. I think because of this and because of his common sense, he is much more fit to be a leader than a follower.
    Last edited by Crede; 03-29-2006 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crede View Post
    The ability to go against the tide is required of a leader. I think because of this and because of his common sense, he is much more fit to be a leader than a follower.
    I agree with your line of logic, in terms of Lenny's willingness to step out there on his own and stand against the crowd.

But I think that's only half the issue. A leader cannot lead unless people follow him. And that's my bone with Lenny: He has trouble inspiring people to follow him and his ideas, instead he usually just pisses them off and turns them against him.

That's okay if you are the boss of your own business and everyone else is on the "peon" level and has little power of their own and so is simply expected to follow orders. But Trump's organization is not built on those sort of people, not at the level where Lenny would have to operate consistently.

I think he's a great voice of common sense, but IMO his lack of sensitivity makes it hard for him to get the cooperation and backing that he would need to be successful with Trump's org, especially compared to the candidates that do not have this weakness.

CEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortunato View Post
    IBut I think that's only half the issue. A leader cannot lead unless people follow him. And that's my bone with Lenny: He has trouble inspiring people to follow him and his ideas, instead he usually just pisses them off and turns them against him.
    They all seemed willing and able to follow his idea last week. they even defended his idea when it was time for him to go to the board room. He is doing something right.

Lenny. Trump's pet. Will last as long as he confuses everyone with his accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortunato View Post
    I think he's a great voice of common sense, but IMO his lack of sensitivity makes it hard for him to get the cooperation and backing that he would need to be successful with Trump's org, especially compared to the candidates that do not have this weakness.

Me, when I hear common sense, it is so refreshing that I just jump on it, unless the person voicing it is just being a jerk and trying to shove it down my throat (the way Tarek was to Lenny when shooting down his suggesting for voice-overs.)

Too often egos stand in the way of listening to someone else's common sense.

And talk about sensitivity, I don't think Trump sets a great example of that, IMHO.

FORT Fogey
    I'd like to work for Lenny and I'm a woman! I don't particularly care about having a boss who is PC. I'd rather have one who is intelligent.

Sometimes I think there is just a little too much PC in the workplace these days. We've gone from "Handicapped" to "Disabled" to "Differently Abled" to "I don't know what the newest thing is???" Everyone seems to have heightened sensibilities about what they would prefer to be called. It just seems to be crazy sometimes. So, I'd gladly trade a little less PC for someone I can respect as a person!

This is the first I've gone into this thread (and all 4 of my grandparents came over from Russia, so you'd think I would've jumped into it right away). I don't know; I expected many negative posts about Lenny, and I didn't find any. That's because everyone's seeing him how he is on the show, and that's fair, but I'm having a difficult time trying to separate how he is on the show and what kind of person he probably is in real life. He's entertaining to me. That's it. I'm not sure I'd want him to win. There was a huge influx of "Lennys" in the early 1980s to the East Coast from Russia. Many became my neighbors. So many of them really seemed to lose who they were religiously. This prompts me to remember how Lenny acted towards (commented about) Lee and Dan when they went to services, and Lenny acted like the holiest time of the year for Jews wasn't as important as taking part in the task.

That turned me off against Lenny! In the boardroom:"Did you know I'm Jewish, too?" Trump: "Yes, I knew that" (like Trump wouldn't know that). It was as if him being Jewish but not "having" to go to services during the High Holidays made him better or something.

I'm not the most religious person in the world, but this stuck with me and still disturbs me about Lenny. Maybe I'll get over it. I'll watch again and really, really try to be more objective about Lenny.

Yeah, you've got a point. It was kind of crude for him to try to use his nonobservance of his religion as a leverage against the other two guys. Two things wrong with this tactic, I think

1. It's insensitive and non-PC. Maybe he just hates anything PC. People are known to use sensitivity/PC stuff to gain leverage against their competitors and keep them down.

2. It was very transparent that he was trying to use religion as a leverage.

Funny how PC and non-PC can both be used and abused in twisted ways for personal advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by shaynas_mom View Post
    It was as if him being Jewish but not "having" to go to services during the High Holidays made him better or something.
    The way I viewed Lenny's comment was that he was telling Trump that since he was Jewish, Lenny understood the situation a lot more than Trump might have thought Lenny did. I didn't take it as him feeling he was better for being Jewish and not going to services.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Zaius View Post
    The way I viewed Lenny's comment was that he was telling Trump that since he was Jewish, Lenny understood the situation a lot more than Trump might have thought Lenny did. I didn't take it as him feeling he was better for being Jewish and not going to services.
    Lenny was using his Jewishness as a shield to say, "I'm not only blameless for criticizing them, I have the same religious obligations and yet I still choose to make your job interview a higher priority." It's the same unspoken shield that we use to engage in Jewish humor, which is often self-deprecating but sounds anti-Semetic coming out of a non-Jewish mouth. The problem with the argument I ascribed to Lenny is that Judaism involves different obligations for different people. I'm sure Lenny understood this aspect of the culture better than Trump, but that's not why he was motivated to say he was Jewish.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

+ Reply to Thread