+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lee - Season 5

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I agree with you 100% aname.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    I agree with you 100% aname.
    Well, we'll see.

I have a sneaking suspicion that, if there aren't any bad or unexpected rolls of the dice, it'll come down to Lee and Roxanne.

I don't see what's so yucky about him. So far he hasn't backstabbed anyone, and he has had some good ideas. I'm impressed by his 4.0 GPA from Cornell. Not in my wildest dream could I ever pull that.

Lee has several issues that come from immaturity. He plays all sides against each other and then claims to not like playing games with people. He does take opposing positions in case a team fails (when they win, his being wrong is not mentioned). I laughed at him when he said Leslie fought the hardest of those he's fired. ROFL He's got potential, but it's not there yet.

The more I see of this guy, the more I dislike him. He is a politician - Trump is right about that. And, that is the reason I have issues with him. He plays CYA more than he contributes to the game. That being said, however, he does have potential. He does see the bottom line, can lead, and is pretty loyal to his friends - but his character needs work.

Lee is a pretty smart guy but a little unscrupulous, it seems. Makes me wonder what his ideals really are. Plays to win. I wouldn't want him plotting against me.

He did play 3 people vs each other this episode. It would have been seemingly shortsighted to piss off everyone, esp. his friend Tarek, but I guess he was betting on Tarek not being able to go against him in future episodes or even being fired this last episode. Anyway, I think it did end up being short-sighted, because Trump and associates could see all of this. They would not want someone disloyal and plotting in their company, I don't think.

In hiring someone I would look at their merits, but no matter what, if there is not integrity there, I will under no circumstance hire them. How to judge if someone has integrity? This is difficult, unless you get good references, but even those can be deceiving. It may just mean the person has been playing a "yes" person, taking no chances to stand up for anyone for fear of p***ing someone off. Standing up for principle can be one of the most self-endangering things in your life and difficult to do without threatening someone. Almost everyone is looking out for #1 and can't see beyond themselves. This is pretty shortsighted, but as the maxim goes, let anyone who is not guilty cast the first stone. Nobody's perfect, so judging by integrity is not an absolute; it's all relative, but the scale is pretty wide.
    Last edited by Crede; 05-04-2006 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crede View Post
    Lee is a pretty smart guy but a little unscrupulous, it seems. Makes me wonder what his ideals really are. Plays to win. I wouldn't want him plotting against me.
    I was a little surprised by the blatant machiavellan behavior shown by Lee in that short sequence, culminating in his private interview where he said he was sick of plotting.

Either he's much more of a jerk than I figured, or there was again some stuff left on the cutting room floor that would help us follow his logic, instead of assuming he was completely two-faced.

(I've seen some very strong acts of integrity by him early on in the series, stuff that was very sincere, so that's why I'm a little stymied by what we now see. Is he really a devil in disguise? A ringer? Drinking off-camera? Doing drugs? Lack of sleep catching up with him? What's the deal, Lee?)

The only thing I can see that makes sense, if you give him the benefit of a doubt, is this:

Lee seemed to take it pretty hard in the latest episodes when he was dragged into the boardroom. I never saw him as scared as he was with Leslie, and that's set the tone for everything that we've seen of him afterwards.

So I can see him starting to scheme now, trying to manipulate events to CHA in the boardroom. Anyone can be driven to the point where they just break down and start to arrange for their own survival, manipulating others. Lee's pretty smart, and he's a good politician by nature, so he knows how to play the game when he wants to -- and he's desperate now.

And then, since manipulation like that is arduous and tedious and a headache, and also makes you feel like crap for doing it, in the end I can see him throwing up his hands and saying, "Screw it, I'm not bothering anymore to do this! No more manipulation, I'm just going to let what happens happen, and that's it."

That's giving him the benefit of the doubt. I guess we'll see if he was worth it.

Yes, Lee is a very smart and capable guy, I think the most capable of all the candidates left. He does play to win. So far has he gone overboard in being two-faced? Very hard for me to judge. This episode he did try to give Charmaine some good advice, but that mediocre player did not listen but went and did her hair instead. As you say, maybe he is scared and tired and desperate. Like a lot of the prior candidates have said, nobody's really your true friend in the suite, so was what he did in the BR a betrayal of Tarek? I think it was not so much a betrayal of Tarek as a betrayal of Lee's own principles because I wish he had spoken up regarding his true opinion that Tarek was a stronger player than Charmaine, but he was plotting to keep the weaker player on so as to have less competition. It was a little disappointing. If he believed in himself, he would not have resorted to this tactic. But the guy is playing safe. He is a very careful guy. Too careful, to the point of paralysis; we've seen some of that in the episode with the text-messaging, where Lenny helped him out of some wheelspinning. He is somewhat of a wonk.

Quote Originally Posted by aname View Post
    He does see the bottom line, can lead, and is pretty loyal to his friends - but his character needs work.
    I have not seen any loyalty at all. None. Nada. Zip.

He went out of his way with Lenny because he knew Lenny would not be the Apprentice. Like Charmaine, he wanted to keep around weaker players and the moment he saw a chance to do that, he dumped all over his 'friends'.

He did stick with Lenny when it was obvious that he was going for a taxi ride, but it was only bravado to 'appear' loyal and, if by some chance it worked, the weaker playing Lenny would still be around another week.

Quote Originally Posted by Crede View Post
    Yes, Lee is a very smart and capable guy, I think the most capable of all the candidates left. He does play to win. So far has he gone overboard in being two-faced? Very hard for me to judge. This episode he did try to give Charmaine some good advice, but that mediocre player did not listen but went and did her hair instead. As you say, maybe he is scared and tired and desperate. Like a lot of the prior candidates have said, nobody's really your true friend in the suite, so was what he did in the BR a betrayal of Tarek? I think it was not so much a betrayal of Tarek as a betrayal of Lee's own principles because I wish he had spoken up regarding his true opinion that Tarek was a stronger player than Charmaine, but he was plotting to keep the weaker player on so as to have less competition. It was a little disappointing. If he believed in himself, he would not have resorted to this tactic. But the guy is playing safe. He is a very careful guy. Too careful, to the point of paralysis; we've seen some of that in the episode with the text-messaging, where Lenny helped him out of some wheelspinning. He is somewhat of a wonk.
    There was no danger in Tarek staying longer. It was obvious that Trump hates Tarek. He put him down whenever he could. He would not hire something he put down every single week.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast