+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bryce - Season 5

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by MissThing View Post
    I am not understanding all the Bryce love.
    I don't understand it either. And I really don't understand his praise for Tarek during this task. The pompous a$$ was telling musicians what he wanted as if he were a professional record producer.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpch View Post
    But with team harmony restored, his satisfaction with himself as the team savior led to a series of bad decisions, including brushing off concerns of the Arby's execs. How many times did we need to hear how great it was (and, by implication, how great he was) that he had managed to get everyone working together? The miracle of team harmony made it difficult for him to accept that the team was actually ineffective at producing a successful product. .

Yes. Fortunato also said Bryce was an emotional person. Could he have let the initial success at bringing the group together fuel his idealistic emotions so much that he... FORGOT THE TIME? Why didn't he check and double check with Charmaine that they were actually going to be at the meeting on time. Sometimes it can be hard to keep track of what time it is, especially when you are so heady on newly found team unity???

Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    People that are serious about making you money are usually serious about being on time. I can assure you that those executives had other places to be.
    Yeah, I agree. I understand what NewFORT was trying to say [i.e., being pragmatic -- why turn a money-maker away just over a piddly 30 minutes?], and idealistically maybe that's the way it should be, but...
    1. These execs have extremely packed schedules. They already have to reject a number of meetings with people because they simply don't have time; their entire schedule is prioritized. To get it blown off after you've sacrificed a number of other opportunities...?
    2. For every bum you throw back out on the street with a good idea, there are ten others waiting to take his place. Ideas are a dime a dozen, anyway. Many people have WONDERFUL ideas, it's the execution that matters. Which leads me to say...
    3. ...if a guy is irresponsible enough to show up 30 minutes late for a meeting, is this the sort of guy you want to entrust with millions of your dollars? Is this a guy you can expect to keep to a tight schedule and be responsible in a number of other ways? It's EASY to be on time, if you actually try. If a guy can't even do that right, I wouldn't just assume he'd get the bigger, harder things right -- that would be insane.
    4. Not to mention, is this a guy you want representing YOU to YOUR customers and other companies you want to close large deals with? Public Relations is a big deal, and being 30 minutes late could disadvantage you in the marketplace and potentially millions of dollars by the deals that were lost over something so stupid.

For most of us, being 30 minutes late isn't a big deal. The stakes aren't that high. No money is usually involved. And it doesn't have much to do with our jobs.

But for these guys, being on time is extremely important.

For meetings, being even 5 minutes late can make others lose a slight bit of respect for you right then.....unless they are late, too, or even later. It depends on the culture.

I know a lady at work who says she comes into work at 6am everyday. And she leaves at noon every day. People seem to think it's ok because she showed up 3 hours earlier than them every day. Whatever.

In the business world NEVER, NEVER, NEVER show up late for a meeting with a potential client. If there is a good reason why you will be late, always call and apologize giving your expected time of arrival.

I have been an executive secretary for many years and every single executive I have worked for would have, at the least, reacted badly and expected an apology. At the worst, that team would have been shown the door before a presentation was even attempted. Very bad move. Brice should have been fired for that alone.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    The prior season.. I can't remember what team it was. But, they showed up late for the Star Wars Circuit City (?) promotion dealy-bob with the executives. When they finally walked in, the executives said that they didn't have time and walked out. Totally screwed that team too.

I'm a really big stickler about being on time, no matter where it is. Major pet peeve of mine is to be late...and for people to arrive late when plans are made w/me.
    IMO, it just reeks of rudeness.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    The prior season.. I can't remember what team it was. But, they showed up late for the Star Wars Circuit City (?) promotion dealy-bob with the executives. When they finally walked in, the executives said that they didn't have time and walked out. Totally screwed that team too.
    Yeah, that was Brian. He's from NY and claimed he didn't know it would take him that long to get there. At that point, his fate was sealed (because they didn't know what the execs wanted), and Trump threw in Marshawn as a freebie to boot...

I'm a really big stickler about being on time, no matter where it is. Major pet peeve of mine is to be late...and for people to arrive late when plans are made w/me. IMO, it just reeks of rudeness.
    Yeah, it can come off as someone thinking their time is more valuable than the person they're standing up. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by crede
    I know a lady at work who says she comes into work at 6am everyday. And she leaves at noon every day. People seem to think it's ok because she showed up 3 hours earlier than them every day. Whatever.
    And I bet she doesn't surf the net from 6am-9am every day either...

Even if she'd work 6am-3pm (i.e., a full 8 hours), impressions are everything. Sometimes people simply get disgruntled because it LOOKS like you're not working a full day, and plus you're not around during the hours they are, if they need you for something. You can only get away with it on a long-term basis if you do exemplary work and don't cause problems.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by aname View Post
    In the business world NEVER, NEVER, NEVER show up late for a meeting with a potential client. If there is a good reason why you will be late, always call and apologize giving your expected time of arrival.

I have been an executive secretary for many years and every single executive I have worked for would have, at the least, reacted badly and expected an apology. At the worst, that team would have been shown the door before a presentation was even attempted. Very bad move. Brice should have been fired for that alone.
    Exactly. What was shocking is that Bryce didn't even react when the lady asked if they'd gotten lost. He just goes "did we get lost" and then went right into their presentation, no apology, nothing. And then Bryce gets this great firing edit, like he's a man of such integrity, blah blah blah. My opinion of him didn't go up much at all in this episode. The whole thing was dumb. And the right person was fired, just for the wrong reasons (for not bringing certain people back? ok, I see the point there, but how about for not meeting with the execs on time? isn't that a better reason?).

FORT Regular
    Geea7,

I saw a rerun today. Bryce apologized for showing up late when the older gentleman admonished the team for being late. Bryce also said the he did not know the time of the appointment. He depended on Charmaine taking them there on time, I guess.

Bryce came across very genuine to me. The stuff he said in the cab is not very different from what he has given as answers to the questions in the opening of this thread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345