+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bryce - Season 5

I am not understanding all the Bryce love. His only contributions (up til this task) have been negative - to me, that means he isn't really either a good team member or leader. Instead, it means he only does well in a team setting if his own butt is on the line.

In addition, rather than trying to calmly state his reasoning in the boardroom, he became sarcastic and shrill. He certainly did not behave as someone who is either trying to clearly get his explanation across - not good either when talking to the person in charge, generally, or the job interviewer.

Finally, he showed poor judgement in his selections for who to bring with him for the boardroom.

I can't see how Bryce would ever have been a good selection for winning this contest.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

If Bryce hadn't been project manager, he wouldn't have been able to contribute to the task any more than Lenny did. He said himself that he had no ability with jingle/lyric writing and was happy to hand over the tasks to the girls and Tarek. He seemed to think that his ability to delegate tasks to other people made him a brilliant leader. I'd like to think that if Lenny had beem PM he would have been able to at least know what time they were meeting the executives and make sure they showed up promptly. The fact that this team was so late (and unconcerned about it!) was reason enough to fire them, IMO.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave View Post
    If Bryce hadn't been project manager, he wouldn't have been able to contribute to the task any more than Lenny did. He said himself that he had no ability with jingle/lyric writing and was happy to hand over the tasks to the girls and Tarek. He seemed to think that his ability to delegate tasks to other people made him a brilliant leader. ...The fact that this team was so late (and unconcerned about it!) was reason enough to fire them, IMO.
    Bryce is obviously an emotional guy -- that's what drives him -- and we've seen both good and bad things because of it.

He happened to be solidly anchored this time, and that emotionalism resulted in passionate conviction about what he needed to do as the project lead. This was probably Bryce at his "best."

But as someone who operates more off emotion, he didn't have the structure that a more "thinking" based person would have had. This showed up most obviously in his inability to keep to the schedule, as well as what the right protocol was for apologizing to the execs, and so on...

I'm not a "Bryce" lover per se. Until this episode, I saw him mostly as a dud. But I have rarely seen anyone go head-to-head with Trump, not out of anger and not out of some cheap attempt to manipulate and earn brownie points, but simply because his convictions were so strong about something.

Heck, I rarely see people do that in REAL life.

He's definitely got some flaws to work on, but this moment was one for the books.

I just wanted to say that I was very disappointed to see Bryce go! He was the nicest guy and had proved himself both as a team player (this week) and as a hard worker (the week he helped out when Lenny didn't get a generator).

Quote Originally Posted by Fortunato View Post
    Bryce is obviously an emotional guy -- that's what drives him -- and we've seen both good and bad things because of it.

He happened to be solidly anchored this time, and that emotionalism resulted in passionate conviction about what he needed to do as the project lead. This was probably Bryce at his "best."

But as someone who operates more off emotion, he didn't have the structure that a more "thinking" based person would have had. This showed up most obviously in his inability to keep to the schedule, as well as what the right protocol was for apologizing to the execs, and so on...

I'm not a "Bryce" lover per se. Until this episode, I saw him mostly as a dud. But I have rarely seen anyone go head-to-head with Trump, not out of anger and not out of some cheap attempt to manipulate and earn brownie points, but simply because his convictions were so strong about something.

Heck, I rarely see people do that in REAL life.

He's definitely got some flaws to work on, but this moment was one for the books.
    For me, Bryce's TV character personality went beyond simply having convictions to the point of having a conviction complex. The complex was reflected in the way he took on the role of savior and then martyr, and in the way he repeatedly made a big point about his convictions and how he was raised to have such convictions. People with strong convictions can act on them without needing to talk about them.

Bryce made one good business decision--getting people to talk out their problems so that they could work together. I see that as a very practical and "thinking" approach. But with team harmony restored, his satisfaction with himself as the team savior led to a series of bad decisions, including brushing off concerns of the Arby's execs. How many times did we need to hear how great it was (and, by implication, how great he was) that he had managed to get everyone working together? The miracle of team harmony made it difficult for him to accept that the team was actually ineffective at producing a successful product. So when it came time to analyze and understand what led to the loss, he instead primped himself for a glorious, principled fall, all the while spouting about his childhood and shielding his harmonious minions from responsibility.

At the point of arguing with Trump, I think Bryce was so convinced of the dignity of his own conviction that there was no reason to hold back. The exchange was refreshing to watch, but I didn't see the impulses fueling it as so purely honorable.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

If I had been the Arby's exec when they came in late and instead of really speaking and apologizing for being late, he made excuses and then breezed past the topic.... I'd have thrown them out. I'm mean though..lol
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Regular
    I understand it's important to come on time, but for the execs to be vengeful, that's stupid. What if Steve Jobs came late to your meeting, would you throw him out? Fact is if the great idea can make you money, you'll need to see past the small mistakes that person did on their way.

CEO
    Quote Originally Posted by NewFORTFan View Post
    I understand it's important to come on time, but for the execs to be vengeful, that's stupid. What if Steve Jobs came late to your meeting, would you throw him out? Fact is if the great idea can make you money, you'll need to see past the small mistakes that person did on their way.
    People that are serious about making you money are usually serious about being on time. I can assure you that those executives had other places to be.

I liked when Bryce got sarcastic at DP. He was sarcastic for a good reason and DP needed some of that. Bryce didn't fall for DP's usual tactic of distorting contestants words to make something out of nothing and I commend him for that.

I don't understand why DP insisted Lenny should have not been at the board room. Does he value somebody who simply didn't do anything over somebody who tried but came up short? Lenny certainly didn't know about music or English, but he could've brought up that the punch line was missing - it has nothing to do with musical talent. And he couldn't do that. So why Lenny over other guys who at least worked a little?

Quote Originally Posted by rdpch View Post
    For me, Bryce's TV character personality went beyond simply having convictions to the point of having a conviction complex. The complex was reflected in the way he took on the role of savior and then martyr, and in the way he repeatedly made a big point about his convictions and how he was raised to have such convictions. People with strong convictions can act on them without needing to talk about them.

Bryce made one good business decision--getting people to talk out their problems so that they could work together. I see that as a very practical and "thinking" approach. But with team harmony restored, his satisfaction with himself as the team savior led to a series of bad decisions, including brushing off concerns of the Arby's execs. How many times did we need to hear how great it was (and, by implication, how great he was) that he had managed to get everyone working together? The miracle of team harmony made it difficult for him to accept that the team was actually ineffective at producing a successful product. So when it came time to analyze and understand what led to the loss, he instead primped himself for a glorious, principled fall, all the while spouting about his childhood and shielding his harmonious minions from responsibility.

At the point of arguing with Trump, I think Bryce was so convinced of the dignity of his own conviction that there was no reason to hold back. The exchange was refreshing to watch, but I didn't see the impulses fueling it as so purely honorable.
    It doesn't matter if they were "purely honorable' whatever that means for an apprentice. The guy seems to "talk the walk" or however this expression goes...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast