+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 73

Thread: Brent - Season 5

  1. #31
    CEO
    CEO is offline
    Mark 1 Mod 0 CEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I totally do not agree. These people readily afforded other people respect that they did not extend to him.
    It is a tragedy for Brent, but if he were the leader that Donald Trump is looking for, it would have never happened. Brent does not have the personality nor the social/leadership skills to provide the proper purpose, direction, and motivation in others to succeed. The weight is not the issue, the personality is; The only times weight became an issue was whenever Brent felt it was the issue. He brought it up.

    Brent failed to engender a mutual feeling of respect between he and the group to which he was assigned. It is not their fault that they ALL decided that Brent was not likable. One person, sure, two people, maybe; but when you get ALL of them hating Brent for the same reasons; all of a sudden, it starts to paint a different picture entirely. Even the 'nice' outcast from any group always has that 'one' friend. The story here is that Brent didn't get along with anybody. Period.
    Last edited by CEO; 03-21-2006 at 11:52 AM.

  2. #32
    A Tool and a Douchebag Bo3b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    Holy clogged arteries Bagelman!!! The amount of butter that man was slathering on his bagel was enough to kill! Not to mention that he had to have TWO full bagels.. oy vay.

    Last night..it looked like he reserved himself to always being shoved into the corner and ignored. I think that's why he was just sitting there......eating.
    C'mon Maveno...are we to assume that NO ONE ELSE on the Apprentice eats? Or for that matter, overeats? I hate that there is this constant focus on fat people eating in almost every slice of entertainment out there. If there's nothing else to show, show THE FAT GUY EATING again...that'll be hilarious, right? Add sound effects...that'll be REALLY funny....and while we're at it, dig up some EATIN' MUSIC...boy-howdy....what a laugh riot.

    Gimme a farkin' break.

    Oh..for what it's worth...I didn't like him either, but this kind of editing makes me sick to my stomach.

  3. #33
    FORT Fan Fortunato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    Even the 'nice' outcast from any group always has that 'one' friend. The story here is that Brent didn't get along with anybody. Period.
    Wait... Didn't Sean buddy up to him a bit and tell him that he suspected Brent was smarter than he pretended to be?

    But British wit is so dry, I can't tell when they're joking.

    Anyway, I'll say that I think most of the team was negatively slanted towards Brent anyway from the beginning, simply based on his appearance and his loudness. (Allie, I remember, was being snobby back in Episode #1, and most of them soured towards Brent immediately.)

    But at that point, Brent was still in charge of his destiny. If he had a good personality and wanted to make friends, I think he had the chance to win at least some of them over.

    I don't think they all "hated" Brent just because they wanted to dislike him -- Brent continued to antagonize others because of his own insecurities, feeding their disgust for him. He was in everyone's face and constantly aggressive. He couldn't admit any mistakes he made; he constantly put others down in the most crude terms; he continued to tout how great he was. He was presumptuous, obnoxious, rude, and insensitive to anyone else's concerns by his lack of punctuality and tactlessness.

    I feel bad that the guy is in that state. And I feel bad people were negatively slanted towards him in the beginning simply because of his loudness and appearance. But he's an adult now, and responsible for his own behavior.

    Things would have gone much better for him -- he would have had a shot -- if he had behaved differently.

    Remember, he killed himself in the boardroom. The rest just sat there and watched.

  4. #34
    *I Love Chad* SentFromHeaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    477
    This guy is ridiculous. I think he was better than Marcus by the smallest of margins.
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

  5. #35
    FORT Fogey aname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by SentFromHeaven View Post
    This guy is ridiculous. I think he was better than Marcus by the smallest of margins.
    Actually, I liked Marcus better. He was strange and very eccentric, but not malicious. Brent seems more vindictive. Yet, when he kept eating due to nerves, I felt sorry for him. But, he took every slight personally and then became confrontational which just made the others dislike him more. He really didn't try to get along, from what I could see.

  6. #36
    FORT Fogey justCoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    It is a tragedy for Brent, but if he were the leader that Donald Trump is looking for, it would have never happened. Brent does not have the personality nor the social/leadership skills to provide the proper purpose, direction, and motivation in others to succeed. The weight is not the issue, the personality is; The only times weight became an issue was whenever Brent felt it was the issue. He brought it up.

    Brent failed to engender a mutual feeling of respect between he and the group to which he was assigned. It is not their fault that they ALL decided that Brent was not likable. One person, sure, two people, maybe; but when you get ALL of them hating Brent for the same reasons; all of a sudden, it starts to paint a different picture entirely. Even the 'nice' outcast from any group always has that 'one' friend. The story here is that Brent didn't get along with anybody. Period.
    I agree with you because of Ivanka. I do think Brent was unfairly labled as the bad guy early on, and it didn't get any better after what's-her-name told everyone he was threatening to her. But I think Ivanka did not let anyone influence her. She seemed less than pleased that all they gave him to do was picking out the clothing. He hung himself in the board room, and that is when she as well turned on him. She absolutely did not like how he aggressively put down Andrea. I think had he not done that, and been able to state without attacks on the others why he had done a good job at what he had been given he might have stayed. As it was she couldn't defend him after that.

    I was trying to explain this all to mrCoz last night and my conclusion was that he was treated poorly at the very beginning, but that after that he must have done something to turn everyone against him.

  7. #37
    FORT Fan Crede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    150
    biggest problem with Brent is not his weight but his lack of strength to be honest to himself. Maybe he's afraid that if he admits some fault, it would open a giant flood gates and overwhelm him. I think he has a self-esteem problem, possibly stemming from his size and his history of always being the last one picked, and he feels that he needs to "trump" himself up to fight off the poor self esteem. However until he can be honest to himself, he is only going to act and speak foolishly and estrange people.
    Last edited by Crede; 03-21-2006 at 08:22 PM.

  8. #38
    Having Fun! Erika221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    373
    I could not stand Brent - to me he was a piece of work.

    I honestly think that he was actually trying to solicit clients while on the show - why else would he tell us, not once, but numberous times his full name? He sounded like he was trying to do one of those ambulance chaser commercials. He gives attorneys a bad name (and Canadians too)!

    If he wasn't just trying to get some clients, then he is in desperate need of a reality check because quite frankly, a lawyer with his credentials should have never made the cut for the show. His law school is in the basement of the national ranking - it is in the 4th (lowest) tier! Compare that to let's say, Columbia, Roxanne's alma mater (top 5 of all US Law Schools). Any person choosing to go into law KNOWS that the school you go to is a make or break for your career! He had to be cast for pure entertainment value.....
    Last edited by Erika221; 03-22-2006 at 05:02 AM.

  9. #39
    FORT Fan Fortunato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by aname View Post
    Actually, I liked Marcus better. He was strange and very eccentric, but not malicious. Brent seems more vindictive.
    Well... that's because he was.

    Markus was more intellect based, Brent more emotional based. They were both marginalized because they were different and very obstinate in their own ways, but Markus remained mostly impersonal in his defense. He liked to speculate on what the team was doing to him, but he would describe it intellectually and it was beneath him to directly strike back at the team (he just didn't see the point).

    Brent took the marginalization very personally and wanted to conquer those who had "mocked" him, to teach them a lesson.

    Yet, when he kept eating due to nerves, I felt sorry for him. But, he took every slight personally and then became confrontational which just made the others dislike him more. He really didn't try to get along, from what I could see.
    I'll throw out a Brent bone here -- I did see the extended version of the boardroom. Brent did say some stuff in the opening minutes that was calm and collected. On TV, we only really saw him start with the nasty comment about Tammy, so it seemed very abrupt and out of nowhere. But he did do okay in the first part; I'm not sure why he decided to step it up a notch and shoot himself in the process.

    Brent needs to get comfortable in his own skin. He's lost some weight, but he's still extremely sensitive about that and other things and views himself negatively; it's why he's so inclined to constantly trumpet himself. Someone who is secure doesn't have to announce it and beat others down. They know what they can do, and other people's opinions do not control them.

    Think how wonderful he could be, if he'd only use his powers for the forces of good!

  10. #40
    Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    7,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo3b View Post
    C'mon Maveno...are we to assume that NO ONE ELSE on the Apprentice eats? Or for that matter, overeats? I hate that there is this constant focus on fat people eating in almost every slice of entertainment out there. If there's nothing else to show, show THE FAT GUY EATING again...that'll be hilarious, right? Add sound effects...that'll be REALLY funny....and while we're at it, dig up some EATIN' MUSIC...boy-howdy....what a laugh riot.

    Gimme a farkin' break.

    Oh..for what it's worth...I didn't like him either, but this kind of editing makes me sick to my stomach.
    Soo.. What's your point? I was commenting on how much butter he was using, and it looked like half a tub!!! No amount of editing can ADD butter to his knife.

    You're incorrect..they DO show others eating. On almost every task we see people snarfing while in the "boiler room". They showed Brent eating this time because that was pretty much all he was doing.. no talking.. just eating.
    So, am I wrong to comment on it?

    It's not all about "showing the fat guy eating" either. Really now.. give me a break. I am not bothered about overweight people eating, nor am I one to "make fun of them" just because of editing...but the man didn't make himself look any better by the amount of butter he was putting on the bagels. He clearly made the fool of himself, no editing required.

    They had "eating music"?? I didn't know there was sucha thing.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.