+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Apprentice" winners didn't get an office with a window

"Apprentice" winners didn't get an office with a window

Well, they all said "I just want to work for you Mr. Trump."

Second 'Apprentice' Winner Kelly Perdew Works in Small, Windowless Office Next to the Assistant to Donald Trump's Wife

'It's a Little Bit Too Much to Ask Someone to Be President of an $800 Million Building When They Haven't Had That Kind of Experience,' Says Trump

NEW YORK, May 15 /PRNewswire/ -- As the winner of the second "Apprentice," Kelly Perdew should be in line for a top job in the Trump organization. But you'd never know that from his office, reports Associate Editor Ramin Setoodeh in the May 23 issue of Newsweek (on newsstands Monday, May 16). Perdew's desk is in a small, windowless space next to the assistant to Donald Trump's wife, Melania (Perdew has no assistant). The walls are bare, except for a dry-erase board and a U.S. map, stuck with pins marking the distributors he's signed to buy his boss's new line of bottled water, Trump Ice.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050515/NYSU010 )

Spend some time with winners of the first two seasons of "Apprentice," and the reality of this reality show becomes clear: the apprentices' $250,000-a-year gigs are less about climbing the corporate ladder, and more about using their "Apprentice" celebrity to promote Trump, reports Setoodeh. "It's a little bit too much to ask someone to be the president of an $800 million building when they haven't had that kind of experience," says Trump.

Perdew's calendar is filled with many distractions -- speeches to entrepreneurs about Trump and "The Apprentice," deadlines for writing a book about how the military teaches business skills, and acting in an ad for the Department of Defense. Bill Rancic, the first season's winner who was ostensibly put in charge of the $800 million "Chicago: Trump Tower" project, seems to spend as much of his time reliving his TV star turn, too, reports Setoodeh. He'll warm up a crowd of real-estate brokers or potential buyers by talking about "The Apprentice," then the marketing team takes over to talk specifics.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7856555/site/newsweek/

What's Second Prize?
    A reality check on what 'The Apprentice' winners won
    Boss man: Trump and his apprentices
    Nigel Parry / CPI for Newsweek
    Boss man: Trump and his apprentices

By Ramin Setoodeh
    Newsweek

May 23 issue - As the winner of the second "Apprentice," Kelly Perdew should be in line for a top job in the Trump organization. But you'd never know that from his office. His desk is in a small, windowless space next to the assistant to Donald Trump's wife, Melania (Perdew has no assistant). The walls are bare, except for a dry-erase board and a U.S. map, stuck with pins marking the distributors he's signed to buy his boss's new line of bottled water, Trump Ice. "This is going to be big," he vows.

That, of course, is the same promise Trump made about the job waiting for the lucky contestant who survives long enough to hear him say, "You're hired.'' (He'll be picking this season's winner on Thursday.) In the series premiere, Trump promised the top prize of a job as president of one of his companies. But spend some time with winners of the first two seasons, and the reality of this reality show becomes clear: the apprentices' $250,000-a-year gigs are less about climbing the corporate ladder, and more about using their "Apprentice" celebrity to promote Trump. Then again, perhaps it should come as no surprise that Trump may have engaged in a bit of overselling (or "truthful hyperbole'' as he's called it). "It's a little bit too much to ask someone to be the president of a $800 million building when they haven't had that kind of experience,'' he says.

Perdew and Bill Rancic, the first season's winner, were given the title of "owner's representative,'' and recently were also named executive vice presidents. On Perdew's first day, his boss introduced him to Florida developers working on a Trump-branded condo in Tampa. "Mr. Trump said, 'OK, Kelly, you're going to go help promote sales of the building'," Perdew recalls. He then spent about 20 days in the area, chatting on the radio, attending parties and talking to the press. These days, he's supposed to split his time between launching the bottled-water brand and sitting in on discussions about a new condo in Florida and a commercial building in Manhattan. But his calendar is filled with many distractions—speeches to entrepreneurs about Trump and "The Apprentice," deadlines for writing a book about how the military teaches business skills, and acting in an ad for the Department of Defense (voice-over by you-know-who).

Rancic, ostensibly put in charge of the $800 million "Chicago: Trump Tower'' project, seems to spend as much of his time reliving his TV star turn, too. He'll warm up a crowd of real-estate brokers or potential buyers by talking about "The Apprentice," then the marketing team takes over to talk specifics. "His celebrity is a draw," says Tere Proctor, the building's director of sales. The rest of the time, he shadows another Trump exec in White Plains, N.Y., to learn about construction. "I'm getting a full-time education here," he says, on his way to inspect a new clubhouse on the same golf course his final task was staged. "I'm not going to be a 20-year employee," he adds. "I'm an entrepreneur—my goal is to go on and do a deal of my own."

The jobs may be less than advertised, but they're still enough of a draw to attract some 1 million people who auditioned for season four. For the first time, Trump himself helped choose the finalists who would make it onto his show. Sure, ratings are way down since the first season, but Trump says he's getting more involved because he does, after all, hire the winner, and wants an early look at the prospects. He also still holds out the possibility that Perdew and Rancic could have a shot at a CEO spot in his organization. "In a period of not too many years," he says. "They're learning rapidly." For his part, Rancic certainly has learned an import-ant lesson about building your profile. "Today's CEOs are celebrities," he says. The question now is whether today's celebrities can become CEOs.

And did anyone expect differently?
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I guess the job must not be too bad overall. Bill Rancic recently announced that he has signed on for a second year working for the Trump organization. We know that the advertised salary for a first year "Apprentice" is $250,000 and Rancic says that he will do much better this next year.

So what if he is not a president of one of the Trump companies? Boo-Hoo! Trump's check will clear every Friday.

The question is will Trump be signing the checks now that Bill has signed on for another year? NBC picks up the first years check.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    It is obvious Bill is better off and is getting more attention from the company. Kelly is left pimping water.

I wonder if Kendra is earmarked for that condo project in Florida.

Hmmmmmm, what a coincidence !

FORT Newbie
    Condo project? Please!

I betcha Trump will have Kendra mopping floors at Trump Tower! How funny would it be if that was one of the offerings Trump announced live on the finale?! I can just see it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Sandman2k5
    Condo project? Please!

I betcha Trump will have Kendra mopping floors at Trump Tower! How funny would it be if that was one of the offerings Trump announced live on the finale?! I can just see it now.
    Once again--$250,000 friggin' DOLLARS. I have swept floors for minimum wage. Kendra might not get the highest job in Trump's empire, but Sheesh--A quarter of a million friggin' DOLLARS for a year's worth of kissing his butt or whatever...and then her resume is also padded with a job with one of the most successful real estate moguls in America...Sweep the floors and laugh all the way to the dang bank!

Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN
    It is obvious Bill is better off and is getting more attention from the company. Kelly is left pimping water.
    Even so... not much better off.

I wouldn't be surprised if overall the second place winners (and maybe even some of the third and fourth) are doing better than the "winners".

Kendra at least has experience in Donny's prime area, real estate. She could be the first to get something resembling a real job. Not a totally real job, but at least more like one.

Then again... maybe not. Bill had real estate experience too, didn't he (on top of the cigar thing, I mean)? As have several of the losers. Real estate experience may not mean anything more to Trump than err... Trump Ice does.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I'm sure it would not be good PR for the show to have someone mopping floors (Geez) if word got out no one would be applying for the show...

Besides noone has to take the job...even if it is offered!

Kendra has real estate sales experience ( she is a broker I belive) with just the type of buyer than Donald is targeting for his new golf course housing developemnt... Retired people with $$$. I'm sure she has seen her share of those in Florida!

Carolyn seems to appreciate her...maybe she will be doing something under her?

snarky scenester
    ummm...last time I checked, the show is called THE APPRENTICE.

It's not called The Business Partner. It's not called The Associate. It's not called The CEO or even The 800 Million Dollar Building Contractor.

What is the purpose of an apprenticeship? ....to learn. How does an apprentice start with an apprenticeship? ....at the bottom.

Trump never promised these people that they would become his right-hand man if they won. He simply promised them an opportunity to work in the Trump organization, which is what they're doing. Sure, milking the celebrity status is part and parcel of that, but you didn't realistically expect them to jump headfirst into a massive real estate deal or project of Trumpian magnitude without any real experience in the matter, did you? "President of one of his companies" can mean anything, from manning a small five person marketing firm to multinational, and of course we know it's more or less the former. It's still far better than what they were doing regularly. The experience, knowledge and connections they are obtaining through these humble positions now will pay dividends later on when they prove their worth and are moved up onto more demanding things.

The show never promised anyone a quick trip to the top of the latter. But it sure helped a lot of them skip a whole bunch of rungs on their way up. If they ply their skill and trade, and keep at it, sure they will be CEOs someday. But they gotta pay their dues first. That's the way it works.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast