+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Apprentice" winners didn't get an office with a window

FORT Fogey
    New York City has an extremely high cost of living. I'll bet $250K feels like a lot less once you get hit with all the taxes and everything else you get hit with living in a city like that. (Like you probably have to pay rent to get a space to park your car -- which is why a lot of people don't have cars.) I looked at rents in NYC once and was surprised to find that tiny 1-bedrooms were renting for about $6K a month.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by gracie727
    New York City has an extremely high cost of living. I'll bet $250K feels like a lot less once you get hit with all the taxes and everything else you get hit with living in a city like that. (Like you probably have to pay rent to get a space to park your car -- which is why a lot of people don't have cars.) I looked at rents in NYC once and was surprised to find that tiny 1-bedrooms were renting for about $6K a month.
    And those rents really are that insane!

You can thank those in New York who have lived under rent control for years and in many cases are living in apartments they pay way below market value for, forcing the rents of other building way up.

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    New York City has an extremely high cost of living.
    Fortunately for Bill he spends most of his time here in Chicago, and probably gets an employee discount when he stays in NYC (writing childrens books on the flight).

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN
    Fortunately for Bill he spends most of his time here in Chicago, and probably gets an employee discount when he stays in NYC (writing childrens books on the flight).
    I think Bill probably got the best deal because of being able to stay in Chicago.

I know someone who got a job offer in Silicone Valley during the dotcom boom. The job was a VP job and the pay was $210K a year. At first he thought it was a huge amount of money and he was really excited (he lived in Sacramento at the time) but once he looked into the cost of living in the San Jose area, he just couldn't cut it financially on $210K. It ended up being worse than staying in Sacramento and earning $100K -- so he didn't take the job.
    Last edited by gracie727; 05-18-2005 at 01:35 PM.

Homeless in the Silicon Valley

I think Bill probably got the best deal because of being able to stay in Chicago.

I know someone who got a job offer in Silicone Valley during the dotcom boom. The job was a VP job and the pay was $210K a year. At first he thought it was a huge amount of money and he was really excited (he lived in Sacramento at the time) but once he looked into the cost of living in the San Jose area, he just couldn't cut it financially on $210K. It ended up being worse than staying in Sacramento and earning $100K -- so he didn't take the job.

That reminds me of an article I read about a homeless woman in the Silicon Valley . . .this 'bum' was a PhD. candidate with a master's degree & had a job earning $45K a year. Here in Ohio where I live, $45K is not a fanTAStic salary, but certainly respectable & middle-class . . .people raise families and pay mortgages on that kind of money. That is nearly twice what I earn as a librarian & I'd consider myself well-off, to be single and earning $45K. This woman couldn't afford a one-bedroom apartment for herself & her daughter in the Silicon Valley & wound up in a homeless shelter.

Wow . . .everything is relative, huh?

Don't be to fooled by the Silicon Valley story. Alot of those people made great money and did not spend it on smart things living high on the hog with no thought of the future. When the high tec market tanked they tanked along with it. I know some smart people who invested in real estate in nearby Nevada and when the crash happened they did quite well.

You folks in the mid west do have it good. I have family in Minnesota that but homes for next to nothing compared with here in Oregon . We have the high housing costs and the lower wages so it is difficult but $250,000 /year would be an more than decent wage for a single young male/female to get by on in any city. I don't think they have much time to spend it working 60 hours a week or more!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallyhorse
    And those rents really are that insane!

You can thank those in New York who have lived under rent control for years and in many cases are living in apartments they pay way below market value for, forcing the rents of other building way up.
    Bunk. The price of rent in New York is high for one reason: People are willing to pay serious $$$ to be able to say they live in 'the city'. Note: One can actually pay much much less by living in a borough of NYC outside of Manhattan.... but all the prestige (and Egotistical stuff) is on living in Manhattan.

To them, living anywhere but Manhattan is for the 'unwashed masses', a place one goes to only when going to the airport.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12