+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Tana - Street Smart

Mary Kay Ash founded Mary Kay cosmetics in Dallas, TX.....you are correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizziemarie111
    I noticed something in last nights episode that I think need to be corrected. For the last couple epsidoes people have been making comments about Tana being from a small town in Iowa. Now Iowa is full of small towns but Tana is from Des Moines and yes Des Moines is a small city but it is a fairly big town and constantly growing. Unfortunately the media and movies are always portraying Iowa as small towns like in the movie Michale and What's eating Gilbert Grape. Another thing I notidced was that Trump said that Tana was a top sales executive of a Midwest Makeup company but if I remember correctly Mary Kay starter in Texas or at least that is where the annual conference is held every year.

Tana is technically from Waukee IA which is just outside of Des Moines and is quite small. I am guessing that while she sold Mary Kay, each consultant is considered an independant business. So her company would have been considered a make up company from the Midwest. Its all a technicality!

FORT Newbie
    Yes waukee is outside of Des Moines but it is still considered part of Des Moines Just like the suburbs of Chicago are considered part of Chicago. And yes Mary Kay consultants are independednt consultatns but they way he said it on the show was that Mary kay was only sold in the Mid West when in fact it is all over the U.S. and international too

FORT Newbie
    Also with Tana not having book smarts I think considering the fact that she went to college for 3 1/2 years says something. And another thing about her being from Iowa she did not grow up here she grew up in Pensalvania.

Waukee is a suburb of Des Moines; it's not a small town in Iowa. They even have a Starbucks there, Bill!

That news article was rather revealing...Tana has 3 1/2 years of college and she grew up in Pennsylvania. I admit that I took it personally when that one exec. said that Tana's just a small-town Iowa girl who can't make it in one of Trump's corporations. Maybe it's true that she can't make it in Trump world, but don't blame that on her being a "small-town" gal. Plenty of us have made it just fine in the big city (I lived in LA for many years!)--we just know what a great thing the Midwest has going for it and choose to live where we can buy a really nice house in a great neighborhood for less than $200,000.

Finally (rant almost over), Tana and her family live in a very upscale neighborhood in Waukee. I'm guessing they've seen $250,000 in their lives, so it's not like she "needs" the money--I got the feeling she really wanted to work for Trump, much like Troy did.

Quote Originally Posted by misscrispy
    I admit that I took it personally when that one exec. said that Tana's just a small-town Iowa girl who can't make it in one of Trump's corporations.
    I'm not from the midwest, and not from a small town, so that comment from the exec doesn't apply to me. And yet I too took offense to the comment on behalf of people from small towns anywhere. But I won't let it bother me long, because imho that comment showed just how ignorant some execs are. He's the one with the problem, not the people he made the ignorant comment about.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses
    I'm not from the midwest, and not from a small town, so that comment from the exec doesn't apply to me. And yet I too took offense to the comment on behalf of people from small towns anywhere. But I won't let it bother me long, because imho that comment showed just how ignorant some execs are. He's the one with the problem, not the people he made the ignorant comment about.
    I felt the same way and fell it is inevitible that one of the Execs brings up her family as a reason for not hiring her and they edited it out so as not to seem discriminatory.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

FORT Regular
    Her family benefits her...carolyn has a family and it works out great for her. Additionally, who knows where Trump is gonna offer the job.

Why would the comment about the small town offend anyone? There are huge differences between working for Trump in a big city and selling Mary Kay in podunk Iowa.

I live in a small town and there are huge differences between us and people in the big cities. Trump could never make it living where Tana does.

It wasn't a comment that she's not good enough, just that she comes from a very different environment. And in my opinion, a much better environment. I tried living in the big city for big corporations. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump
    Why would the comment about the small town offend anyone?
    Because blanket generalizations in the context he used it are the bastion of the ignorant and shallow.

Being from a small town does not limit or rubber stamp your intelligence, drive, ambition, or ability to adapt and conquer.
    Last edited by Nemeses; 05-12-2005 at 12:35 PM.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

+ Reply to Thread