+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334

Thread: Raj

Raj was funny on last week's episode when he called Kelly a nervous nelly when Kelly ran back to give his team the written details.

After that, he did end up coming across disapppinting and a sore loser when he said he was annoyed that he was not up riding in the car Kelly was in and had no interest in Kelly winning or losing. He could change his tune as he is perfect for the polo set and probably wants to leave on a high note given his political interests. You never know b/c he seems pretty headstrong. Definitely one of the enjoyable ones to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    I can't help it, I have an huge (alas, unrequited) crush on Raj (and his vocabulary) I think he has a voracious intellectual appetite and the cutest pink cheeks

Speaking of commentaries, Heidi called Raj's speeches as like an 80 yr old guy trapped in a young body.

Just posting a Raj interview article for those who like to follow Raj...

Riding 'The Apprentice' aftershocks

Since starring on "The Apprentice," local Raj Bhakta has earned some major street credit as a ladies man.

Cassie Pence
    January 31, 2005

WEST VAIL - Since starring on "The Apprentice," local Raj Bhakta has earned some major street credit as a ladies man.

Raj was a special guest doing commentary at the ceremony where Yahoo announced its earnings. Raj was chosen because he had the most hits on Yahoo out of all the characters on "The Apprentice." He even pinned a bow tie on the CEO.

"A group of three guys, Indian guys - who are not the smoothest guys with women, generally - come up to me afterward and they were asking me, seriously, about what to do to get girls," said Raj. "Like I know what the hell I'm doing. I'm saying things like 'pony up' on national television."

Following many of these speaking engagements Raj participates in now, which are offshoots of "The Apprentice" fame, the public never fails to ask about the women: Has "The Apprentice" gotten him women? How should we talk to girls, Raj? How should we approach them?

It was the scene on episode No. 5 when Raj asks tennis star Anna Kournikova out on a date that has garnered him this "player" reputation. Tennis at Arthur Ashe Stadium with Kournikova and John McEnroe was Donald Trump's award for winning task No. 5, selling the most product on QVC. Kournikova, whom Raj called "an epic beauty," said if he could return one of her five serves, she would go out with him, otherwise Raj would have to perform a dare. Raj ended up in his underwear dodging fired tennis balls, but as Raj likes to say, "there are no points for not trying."

"I don't do anything differently than what all other guys are thinking of doing. I just do it. A guy sees Anna Kournikova. Anna Kournikova is a beautiful sex symbol in America. You want to try to take Anna Kournikova out. So what the hell, try."

Raj is the managing partner of Vanquish Enterprises, the entity that has the controlling interest in the Holiday Inn/Apex Lodge in West Vail. He starred in the second season of NBC's "The Apprentice," Donald Trump's reality TV show that tests contestants business savvy. He made it to round No. 9 when he was fired, ironically, on a real estate task, which is his business.

"It shows you that god has a sense of humor, that a real estate developer loses to a wedding planner. That's sort of embarrassing, but you have to take it with a grain of salt," Raj said.

Raj said he was fighting vigorously in the Boardroom, the location where Trump utters the dreaded words "you're fired," but producers mellowed the scene quite a bit with editing. Raj said his arguments were too reasonable, and if they had played his disputes, it would have appeared that he shouldn't have been fired.

"There's a legitimate business lesson in there. As a company, as a business man, you're really only as good as the team that you have together," he said.

In retrospect, "The Apprentice" is a big game of office politics, said Raj, and you learn office politics is an awfully important game to win in the business world.

"The best strategy to win 'The Apprentice' in many cases is to fly beneath the radar. Don't do anything particularly brilliant, because if you're working on something particularly brilliant it could also be particularly stupid. And all the blame can come down on you," said Raj.

Where fame is taking Raj

Raj is currently basking in "The Apprentice" afterglow, traveling the country to attend inaugural balls, giving motivational speeches at colleges and conventions and appearing on various TV shows, like "Crossfire."

"You've got this fame and people, for example, pay me to speak to them. Which I think is a funny thing because I've been speaking all my life and no one's paid me a thing, and now I go on television and apparently I have something valuable to say," said Raj. "I was picked to go on a big mother-ship reality TV show and therefore I'm known. But I think there is a problem in America today about people worshiping celebrities for the sake of celebrities."

But the fame is great, he admits, albeit distracting. Raj finds it difficult to focus on the tasks at hand, like finishing his project at the West Vail hotel, which he's very fortunate that his father is now spearheading. His long-term ambition is to serve the people in a political realm, inspired by his successful immigrant parents who have given him a unique perspective into the greatness of America.

"America has one sacred duty to all of its citizens and that is to give them a fighting chance. There needs to be a middle of the road, representing young people - rational people - who believe in small government and freedom. Things that we all hear about that are slowly being stripped away," said Raj.

He just started a political activist group, the Coalition for the Advancement of the Republic (www.advancerepublic.org), which is a platform for Raj to express and spread his political views.

"There will be someday when my fame is deserved," Raj said. "I'm quite sure I'll die more famous than I am now."

Arts and Entertainment Editor Cassie Pence can be reached at 949-0555, ext. 618, or cpence@vaildaily.com
    Vail. Colorado
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fogey

Raj on local "10" show (WCAU-TV Philadelphia)/to be Judge at Miss USA Pagent

To all:

Raj was on our local "10" show here in Philadelphia this morning (Friday, March 18), where he noted he was going to be a Judge at the upcoming Miss USA Pagent on I believe April 11. He also noted that when he asked Anna Kournikova for that infamous date during taping last spring, he was not aware that she was engaged to Enrique Englasias (sp?) at the time that happened at Flushing Meadows.

Raj then noted aside from his Yahoo! commentaries and a blog on MSNBC he's involved in a big real estate projects in Vail, CO, and has also noted he has spoken on Social Security reform among other things since he left the show.

There also was some joking about him and his going after women a bit, though he also went on about how there were other things much more important.

A very good interview where we saw a different side of Raj (and I should also note, wearing a regular tie than his trademark bowtie).

The interviewer didn't ask him about the lawsuit he's in at the moment, where he's being sued for $25,000 for failure to appear at an event he was to speak at, and that he's hired Bradford as his attorney in that lawsuit? Sounds like perhaps the interviewer didn't do his research, or was just a fluff interview, if he didn't ask about that.

If anyone isn't familiar with the story, you can read it here.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    If he loses, will he run around the capitol building in his underwear?

http://www.rajforcongress.com/

Premium Member
    The district he is running for Congress, is my district. Just curious, since I have never seen The Apprentice, I am therefore not familiar with Raj, during the course of the show, did he ever mention that he was an aspiring politician? He wrote a letter to the editior in my neighborhood paper this last week, really did'nt say anything about politics, just a feel good, wish you a Happy St. Patricks day sort of thing. Also, how long did he last before getting the boot. Just curious..

FORT Fogey

Ex-'Apprentice' Acknowledges DWI Arrests

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060402/.../people_bhakta

Ex-'Apprentice' Acknowledges DWI Arrests Sun Apr 2, 1:48 PM ET

Raj Bhakta, the aspiring apprentice turned aspiring politician, acknowledges that he has been arrested twice on drunken driving charges.

Bhakta, who was fired by Donald Trump during the second season of the NBC reality show "The Apprentice," is the Republican challenging Democratic U.S. Rep. Allyson Schwartz for a seat representing suburban Philadelphia.

Bhakta on Friday confirmed the authenticity of a June 1997 arrest report posted on "The Smoking Gun" Web site. He also disclosed that he had a second such arrest in Colorado.

The 1997 report said Bhakta was arrested in Brookline, Mass., after an officer stopped him for having no license plate. He agreed to undergo an alcohol-education program and pay a $35 fine, according to Smoking Gun.

The second arrest occurred when Bhakta lived in Vail, Colo., in 2004. Bhakta would not discuss details but said the case was dismissed.

Bhakta, 30, said he was ashamed of his "irresponsible" actions.

"Politicians today need to come clean," Bhakta said. "I ask for the forgiveness and understanding of the voters, while giving them my solemn pledge that this behavior will not happen again."

Schwartz had no comment, a spokeswoman said.

+ Reply to Thread