+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Donald fined for illegal signs

What a modest Trump he is

Here's a bit from a tiny article in today's New York Post...Friday, March, 26, 2004. Titled "Trump is told: Fire Your Sign"

"You're fired!" Donald Trump-probably the most publicity-savvy developer in America-got some attention yesterday that he probably didn't need when a city inspector wrote his firm four summonses for hoisting that huge "You're Fired!" sign on Trump Tower....The 13-foot-high by 25-foot wide sign gracing fifth avenue between 56th and 57th Streets has become so famous that tourists now flock to it to have their photos taken. But there's one small problem: according to city regulations, the signs 100% illegal and he's been told to take it down. Reached on a business trip in California, Trump urged city officials to reconsider. "The fact that 'The Apprentice' is the hottest show on TV, they should be happy we're doing it in New York," he said. "The big complaint about the city is that it's an unfriendly place to do business," he said. "They should wise up."

Maybe he'll blame it on one of his apprentices
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

FORT Newbie
    I commend NYC for having such stringent laws on whether ads can be placed on buildings. It's a very city-conscious decision, very European you could say. It respects the architecture and nature of the city, and what is wrong with that? Just think, if these types of signs were to be allowed everywhere? Every building would be covered in ads, it would look terrible, plus a unique place like Times Square would no longer be a tourist attraction because that scope of advertising would be everywhere in the city. Sorry Trump, but you don't know what your talking about.

D.T. just wants to be everywhere doesn't he? I thought this article was interesting because he said, "...they should be happy we're doing it (The Apprentice) in New York." Oh, well yes thank you Mr. Trump for giving us the honor of filming your show here. Like it really affects our lives or something.

The whole show is an ad for Donald Trump not New York, what is he thinking

The big guy is appearing on Conan O'Brien tonight. If he displays any modesty, I'll let y'all know.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Actually if you've ever been to NY, there's a reason why signs like that are illegal. High winds can rip items like this down. Could you imagine the headlines..

High wind gusts.. You're Fired sign turned into your dead sign..
    .. thirty tourists die at Trump Towers victims of The Apprentice..

Good publicity for New York Donald (Sarcasm)
    If you want to know the character of a man, find out what his cat thinks of him. - Anonymous

Did anyone see this?

NEW YORK (AP) - A giant ``You're Fired'' sign on the Trump Tower in midtown Manhattan has earned Donald Trump's development firm four summonses from the city.

The firm does not have a permit and was asked on four occasions to remove the 13-foot tall, 25-foot wide banner that promotes the hit reality television show ``The Apprentice,'' the New York Post first reported Friday.

Trump told The Daily News that the Fifth Avenue skyscraper's sign was a tourist attraction and ``New York should appreciate it instead of fighting it.''

Trump Tower Commercial LLC, the building's owner, could face $2,500 fines for each of the violations after a hearing. City officials planned to file an order to remove the banner with the Secretary of State in Albany.

``The biggest complaint about the city is that it's an unfriendly place to do business,'' Trump told the Post. ``They should wise up.''

Comments? For, or against?
    I predict more crime will occur in broad daylight in Gotham City as the villains finally realize that Batman only comes out at night.

Trump Tower Commercial LLC, the building's owner, could face $2,500 fines for each of the violations after a hearing
    This'll teach The Donald-- ALMOST $8000 in fines!!! I guess he'll think twice before he risks that kind of money again!!!

Yes, I believe this is posted elsewhere. But I don't think DT considers the cost of the sign OR fines to be a lot of money. Besides, there is a difference between what he "could face" and what actually happens.

$2,500 X 4 = $10,000 (not $8,000)
    Last edited by justvisiting; 03-27-2004 at 04:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast