+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thousands of Wannabe Tycoons Try Out for TV Show

Thousands of Wannabe Tycoons Try Out for TV Show

Thousands of Wannabe Tycoons Try Out for TV Show

Thu Mar 18,11:42 PM ET
    By Larry Fine

NEW YORK (Reuters) - About 2,000 wannabe tycoons flocked to Donald Trump's Wall Street high rise building on Thursday for a shot at competing in his hit reality TV show, "The Apprentice."

Lawyers, business owners and recent college graduates, some who camped out overnight in the cold, queued up outside the back door of The Trump Building for a casting call for next season's NBC series.

Michelle, a young lawyer who would not give her surname, said she had lined up at 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday and spent the night on the sidewalk after getting blue wrist tag No. 46.

"It was 12 people at a table having a conversation," she said about the audition. "It wasn't a job interview. They want to know what your persona is going to be on TV. They're just looking for something. God knows what."

Some 1,800 wrist tags were given out and hundreds joined the line without them.

Mahir Fadle, who works two jobs in Fairfax, Virginia, said he took the week off to try his luck. "He could teach me a lot that no one else around me might know," said Fadle, 26, who works as a financial advisor and loan officer.

The series features 16 ambitious entrepreneurs who take on assignments each week from real estate mogul Trump, who terminates one each week with a stinging, "You're fired."

The winner of the competition gets a job with The Trump Organization and a salary of $250,000.

Other open casting calls are scheduled in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Miami, Cleveland, San Francisco, Austin, Texas, Omaha, Nebraska, Little Rock, Arkansas, Portland, Oregon, and New Orleans.

Adam Taxim, a 32-year-old consultant with a law degree and MBA from Columbia University, said, "I'm here because it's the best show on TV and this is my way of saying thank you and I wouldn't mind getting the 250-K job."

Therese Walker, a 50-year-old who works in risk management for a downtown bank, was ducking in and out of her office to check her spot in line. Walker, No. 1064, said she wanted to show her children she had the right stuff.

"I actually like the competition," she said of the show. "You're given a challenge and see what you come up with. When I see how they handle it, I feel I could have done it better."

Rob Loscalzo, 35, who owns a clothing business, said he came because of some "signs," including a speech directed at him by a homeless person and a newspaper horoscope.

Gabrielle Stephens, a 38-year-old freelance TV producer just back from Budapest, Hungary, said, "I think it's a wonderful opportunity if you get picked to skip about a thousand corporate layers and work for someone who's on the top and prove yourself to someone who actually counts."

The Apprentice runs on the NBC television network.

Yeah, last Saturday I drove by the NBC studios in Burbank on my way to a fencing lesson (obscure reality tv connection there -- same studio Kat Ogden from Real World London uses), and saw the amazingly well-dressed line of wannabees signed up there, complete with camera crews and all at 9:30 in the morning for a 2pm call. An hour later on the way back, the line was around the corner, down the street, and across a bridge about a block back. Unreal. Of course, the LA folks didn't have to deal with the cold....

-- Joe

>>Therese Walker, a 50-year-old who works in risk management for a downtown bank, was ducking in and out of her office to check her spot in line. Walker, No. 1064, said she wanted to show her children she had the right stuff.

"I actually like the competition," she said of the show. "You're given a challenge and see what you come up with. When I see how they handle it, I feel I could have done it better."<<

Hey! I like it!

A friend in his early 40s was gonna apply. Has an impressive bkgd, but chickened out because he said he didn't feel he looks "Hollywood" enough.

I would never consider it, esp since I found out the suite has 8 rooms...2/rm...AND ONE BATHROOM!!!!!!
    Last edited by justvisiting; 03-19-2004 at 03:43 PM.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jsciv
    Yeah, last Saturday I drove by the NBC studios in Burbank on my way to a fencing lesson (obscure reality tv connection there -- same studio Kat Ogden from Real World London uses), and saw the amazingly well-dressed line of wannabees signed up there, complete with camera crews and all at 9:30 in the morning for a 2pm call. An hour later on the way back, the line was around the corner, down the street, and across a bridge about a block back. Unreal. Of course, the LA folks didn't have to deal with the cold....

-- Joe
    That reminds me of seeing Conan O'Brien here in Toronto. For a 4:00 pm taping I was there before 1 pm, and it was -5 celcius outside. The line went around the theatre. Mind you, it was worth it because I got in! (BTW the cut off for the taping was about 10 people behind me!)

+ Reply to Thread