+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will shows like "The Apprentice" change the way America does business?

Will shows like "The Apprentice" change the way America does business?

Driving past NBC studio's on Saturday I saw a line of smartly dressed wanna-be Apprentice's that snaked around the corner and disappeared somewhere over the horizon. Yes, they were all in line for the open casting call for the second season of "The Apprentice."...Frankly, I was envious and wanted to be in that line with them, but for some reason I just don't think that "central casting" is looking for slightly overweight middle-managers in there late 30's.

...Anyway, with practically every network coming out with an "Apprentice" knock-off in the very near future, and all the high profile white collar criminal cases that are so prominenet in the media, the way that American's conduct business is going to be scrutinized like it never has been before...

Are these new "Apprentice" wanna-be shows going to exploit capitalism as the symbol of all that is supposedly ugly and evil about America, or will it have a positive effect upon our economy that inspires a new renaissance of entreprenueral spirit here in America?....I guess we will be at the mercy of the producer's of these shows for the answer to that question....

What are your opinions on the matter?

I haven't seen a single press release announcing a reality show even close in nature to this by another network.

But in answer to your question, it's a reality show. I don't think anyone with an IQ above 60 believes for a second that it has anything to do with REAL reality.

I haven't seen a single press release announcing a reality show even close in nature to this by another network.
    ABC is casting for a show called the Benefactor in which Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban gives away a million dollars, and Showtime's spin-off called "American Candidate" is about contestants running in a political campaign....if these two shows are in active development, I guarantee you there are at least 3 more "Apprentice spin-offs" that will follow shortly thereafter...The Apprentice is way too hot not to be imitated.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Fan
    ABC is casting for a show called the Benefactor in which Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban gives away a million dollars, and Showtime's spin-off called "American Candidate" is about contestants running in a political campaign....if these two shows are in active development, I guarantee you there are at least 3 more "Apprentice spin-offs" that will follow shortly thereafter...The Apprentice is way too hot not to be imitated.
    3 'more' Apprentice spinoffs?

I don't see those shows as spinoffs at all. They're not about competing for high-powered positions, in a corporation - in the business world.

Yep, those are pretty loosely-related show concepts. You could say that The Contender is another Apprentice spinoff because they're competing to be boxers. And so on..

Anyway, the basis for almost all reality shows is that the contestants compete for something at the end, and are eliminated along the way. Whether that elimination is due to an individual competition, being eliminated by your peers, or being eliminated by an "authority figure" doesn't much matter.

To say those show concepts are spinoffs of The Apprentice is like saying The Apprentice is a spinoff of The Bachelor or "The Mole". "X" number of people compete for 'something' on a continuing TV show.

Anyway, to answer the original question posed in the topic title: No, I don't think The Apprentice will change the way anyone does business (nor do I think "The Bachelor/ette" will change the way people date).

A spinoff is when a character from a show continues that character on their own show - such as "Rhoda" from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show".

Anyway, I see MTV is gonna so a copycat of "The Apprentice" ....calling it "The Assistant". :rolleyes
    http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/...ory.php?s=2370

+ Reply to Thread