+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rick-Shaw competition.

FORT Newbie

Rick-Shaw competition.

I feel sorry for Kwame, it must have been embarrassing for him to not get one rick-shaw customer after all that work.

I'm thinking race is a factor here. I mean people unconciously are prejudiced against black men, and they might not want to buy a ride because of it.

On the other hand, cowboy Troy gets more customers.

But then again, it could be that Troy smiled more and was more enthusiastic, we don't really know what Kwame did to get customers when he was out there.

The ladies from Veracorp seemed to get more customers, if nothing else, they looked good, though the camera mostly showed them getting rejected.

I bet some sociologist will try to get the full tapes to help with a study.

So the moral of the story? The best sales person, with talent aside, is a hot looking girl who makes the customer thinks he'll get laid if he buys the product.

Troy did very well as a "singing" cowboy. Plus, he had his teammate in with him. I don't ever recall having a taxi driver that wasn't either black, Russian, Arabic or something else so IMO, Kwame did not stand out because he is a black man. I thought that Kwame should have found another spot. He might have done better at a taxi stop.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Well..from what we saw, he was practically leaning over the handlebars dinging the annoying bell.

I wouldn't want a ride from someone who looks desperate, tired and has an annoying constant bicycle bell.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Maveno, I agree. At least it's not as bad as those people trying to pass out flyers or sell you something really cheap (that they either stole or it's a knock off). Kwame said it was what the other drivers told him to do. He did look a little desperate and I didn't like the bell. I think he might have been "fresher" if he moved to a new spot.

One thing I'll say for him, he had nerve to hop on that think and ride through that traffic. He is one of my favorites and I was sorry he got no customers. The girls were a little too pushy for me. If I'd been looking for a ride, Kwame would have had a customer, for sure.

FORT Regular
    How did Versacorp get $250 per sponsor and $3,000 worth. Was that for one day? What kind of idiots were these guys fleecing? Maybe it was $250 for a one year deal, but it was only for a day because ass-kiss Nick paid him back the entire fee.

What about Katrina crying to Bill about not being taken seriously and used only for her looks, and then she turns around and accuses Amy for only using her looks and charm to get ahead. (meow, get some mud ready, that is battle Trump would even pay to see.)
    Last edited by Scarpias; 03-12-2004 at 06:18 PM.

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapsuleCorpJX
    I feel sorry for Kwame, it must have been embarrassing for him to not get one rick-shaw customer after all that work.

I'm thinking race is a factor here. I mean people unconciously are prejudiced against black men, and they might not want to buy a ride because of it.
    I hate it when people assume racism when none is apparent. It's insulting to people of all races. Guilty until proven innocent, and innocence impossible to prove.

Both my wife and I pointed out the bell when we were watching. Same reason we steer clear of the Salvation Army at Christmastime.

All things being equal, I'd rather have a ride like that from a muscular man (Kwame is obviously in good shape) than a cowboy.
    Passing over to the Dark Side

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarpias
    How did Versacorp get $250 per sponsor and $3,000 worth. Was that for one day? What kind of idiots were these guys fleecing? Maybe it was $250 for a one year deal, but it was only for a day because ass-kiss red-head paid him back the entire fee.

I thought the advertising fee was a bit steep for 1 day....but advertising is expensive (even here in a small city, print ads in the local paper are very dear) and I would think NYC would be especially costly. My thought would have been around the $100 mark for a day advertising on a pedi-cab. Guess I wouldn't make a very good Trump employee.

FORT Regular
    If advertising is that steep in New York, maybe I should walk around in a thong and charge $200 per cheek.

Either way, I don't get why they paid so much, other than expecting national TV exposure.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarpias
    Either way, I don't get why they paid so much, other than expecting national TV exposure.
    That's exactly why they got $250. It wasn't just for the street exposure but the national exposure on television.

As for Kwame, he didn't have any personality when he was out on the street. Like the other guy just said, it was annoying like the Salvation Army bell. Maybe if he'd gotten of the bike and try to sweet talk people like the girls did, or even follow another driver around for a bit get a gist of how the gig worked, maybe he would have done better. He assumed the ride sold itself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast