+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where was the advantage to meeting with Marquis' VPs?

FORT Newbie

Where was the advantage to meeting with Marquis' VPs?

What did they really get out of it? From the show, it didn't seem like the Presidents offered many ideas and it seemed that Tammy had already developed an idea for the ad campaign before she received the info from Amy about their meeting.

Then, the guys choose not to meet the VP's and get trashed for it... but I didn't see how the girls meeting with them lent a huge benefit towards their campaign...

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I agree. I thought the idea for a phallic symbol was already in progress, and the meeting garnered nothing for the outcome. I think it's the whole "idea" of meeting with the exec's that stood out strongly as a great thing to do. Because, honestly...it would be the best thing to do with a business deal. The women showed the correct and successful steps that should be taken when tackling a project that they're unsure of. Which is what the show is about ultimately....running a business.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    ......Because, honestly...it would be the best thing to do with a business deal. The women showed the correct and successful steps that should be taken when tackling a project that they're unsure of. Which is what the show is about ultimately....running a business.
    I agree with Maveno.

It also would give them info on the business straight from the top people's POV and they would learn which direction the business want to either remain in or go to. It also gives them experience in doing what they might be doing in the future, meeting and dealing with the upper ups of a business. It can only help their business savvy. A two way conversation where questions and opinions are exchanged is valuable. Also, they get a change to observe body language of upper management/owners. Etc, etc.

LG.
    they started "selling" their idea before the presentation by meeting with the client and showing they were interested in the client's opinion, which is always very important.

You NEED to meet your client's expectations, no matter how "good" you think you are, if you want repeat business.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by coralrush
    What did they really get out of it? From the show, it didn't seem like the Presidents offered many ideas and it seemed that Tammy had already developed an idea for the ad campaign before she received the info from Amy about their meeting.

Then, the guys choose not to meet the VP's and get trashed for it... but I didn't see how the girls meeting with them lent a huge benefit towards their campaign...
    If nothing else, they did what was EXPECTED in that business situation. This alone avoided the situation that Jason had to face.

After they've met with the client, they may think that it was unproductive, but how could they possibly know in advance?

The fact is that their print ads WERE too sexy for the client's taste. So, if they failed to adjust their plans based on clear information provided at the meeting, this could cost them in the future when facing the board.

Were any of them familiar with this business? Even if they had that idea from the beginning they needed to meet with the execs to get a feel for what kind of company it was and what kind of direction that company wants to go.

I'm sorry, but had they met with a company like IBM, Walmart, American Airlines, EDS, (insert conservative and/or "family value" company here) and I guarrantee that they would have scrapped any plans to make a advertising campained based around a phallic symbol. However, they met with them and were told that they don't mind a wild advertisement.

This is business 101. The customer comes first. In this case, the men decided not to even meet with their customer. I was very suprised about their decision (and how many of them didn't want to meet with the customer). In most of the top businesses, the customer is put first (in struggling businesses, this is many times not the case). When you deal with a "high end" market like Donald Trump deals with, you need to put the customer even higher. These people like to be pampered. They pay a premium for Donald's product and they expect to be given the highest level of service.

Do you think people at Donald's Trumps hotels/apartments expect to be given the same level of service one would receive at Motel 6? You think someone that buys a Lexus expects the same level of service as someone that buys a Taurus? Give me a break.

The least these idiots could have done is a conference call with their customer.

Quote Originally Posted by coralrush

You missed a very critical statement in the show. At one point, Donald mentioned that the women learned from the meeting that Marquis *WANTED* a flashy/shocking campaign.

That simple fact rendered the men's ad campaign moot.

Furthermore, at some point in creating an ad campaign you are going to have to sell it to the customer. If you ignore them all along they are less likely to sign on. Even if all you do is meet with them, listen, and nod your head, at least you've made the customer feel like their input matters.
    -Michael

Threshold RPG - Our World, Your Imagination

http://www.thresholdrpg.com

Jason took the project manager role because he had supposedly worked with ad agencies .... when he started screaming that they didn't have time to meet with the client, I knew that he was dead in the water.

I work with ad agencies all the time and every agency knows, finding out the clients needs and vision, and getting info on where the business is currently at and where the client needs to take the business, are just the basics.

Jason was a fool ... and a nasty one at that -- screaming at all of them. Then what he did in the boardroom showed he was a snake on top of being clueless. He deserved to be fired. Sam and Nick shouldn't have even been in there with him ... he should have sucked it up and taken it alone.

I was very glad The Donald saw through him and threw his lame butt out of there. His lack of basic business sense and strategy were the kiss of death for Versacorp.

[QUOTE=Juls]Jason was a fool ... and a nasty one at that -- screaming at all of them. Then what he did in the boardroom showed he was a snake on top of being clueless. He deserved to be fired. Sam and Nick shouldn't have even been in there with him ... he should have sucked it up and taken it alone.

Agree with that. I thought the women's ad was awful but realized the Marquis group wanted something fresh and someone that is not afraid to try something different. The biggest reason the women won was because they showed respect for their customer. I wonder if the men would have won if they had shown the same respect??? I hope they start doing a better job or all the men will be gone.

FORT Newbie
    I saw Jason on the Today show the day after, and he mentioned that they did call the client, they just didn't meet with them in person. The show was edited to make it look like they didn't get any client input.

Either they edited out the portion in the boardroom where Jason explained that they talked to the client on the phone rather than in person, or Jason deserved to get fired for not having any ability to defend himself. I'm guessing the latter, because he was also unable to explain why he picked the other guy to go in the boardroom with him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast