+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where was the advantage to meeting with Marquis' VPs?

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I equate Jason's decision not to have someone meet with the client in person to a waiter that didn't take a restaurant patron's order, and simply showed up at the table with food.

rocklobster pointed out that they talked to the client on the phone, but I don't think that's good enough. It is much more difficult to gauge someone on the phone than it is face to face. And taking the time to meet in person shows the client that you care about their business more than simply talking to them on the phone. Also, it's clear from the result of Versacorp's ad campaign that they didn't get a good understanding of what the client was looking for.

Wayner, you said it so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    I equate Jason's decision not to have someone meet with the client in person to a waiter that didn't take a restaurant patron's order, and simply showed up at the table with food.

rocklobster pointed out that they talked to the client on the phone, but I don't think that's good enough. It is much more difficult to gauge someone on the phone than it is face to face. And taking the time to meet in person shows the client that you care about their business more than simply talking to them on the phone. Also, it's clear from the result of Versacorp's ad campaign that they didn't get a good understanding of what the client was looking for.
    I think the fact the men called and just didn't have the face to face, was much better than falling asleep on the job.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by babymay
    I think the fact the men called and just didn't have the face to face, was much better than falling asleep on the job.
    Perhaps babymay. But what does that have to do with whether or not there was an advantage to meeting with the VPs? I humbly submit: nothing.

Versacorp may not have lost because they didn't meet with the Marquis VPs, but not knowing what the client wanted is a much more likely reason than because Sam took a nap in the conference room.

FORT Newbie

It's critical to meet the client first.

If you are going to put together an ad campaign for a client, you must meet with them for numerous reasons: To discover what ideas they already may have in mind, what they have already done along with the success so you don't duplicate any previous campaign that didn't "pull" (get enough responses), what image they want to portray, and to develop a rapport. This is most important if you are competing with others for the work. If your ideas and your competitors are both interesting, and they didn't meet with the client, who do you think is going to get the work? A lot of business is about developing relationships. The person who gets the job will be the won who has done their homework and made the client feel that they have been heard and responded to accordingly. I'm amazed that anyone would think different. To try to develop an ad without any that one on one contact with the client is a waste of everyone's time. You need the feedback and exchange of ideas to develop your final concept. Seems simple to me.

FORT Newbie
    I thought troy said it during the show. He said, " How do you know what
    the client wants if you don't go meet with them?"
    They are supposed to work for the client and not for themselves, they
    have to find out what the client wants. Not doing that is bad, very bad!
    Also Jason did things without good reason behind them. He couldn't
    back up his own actions with reasons. Trump asked him why he picked
    Nick, he murmured something, basically he didn't know because he just
    picked the first guy came to mind.

On the first episode in the boardroom he had no opinion to offer when
    he was asked about who did good or bad. Again nothing to say there
    already in the first show. Oh well!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12