+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The 2 ad campaigns

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired
    The women's campaign was sexist and unprofessional. It looked more like it was put together by a bunch of frat boys, not a group of successful female entrepreneurs. Here's a note to Tammy -- you CAN be edgy without being vulgar. The campaign was just absolutely tacky.

Agree 100%

The men's print work was great. I loved the one that was never showed with the emphasis on all the delayed flights. To me, that would be the #1 reason to go with a private jet -- the plane leaves on your schedule, not vice versa. Unfortunately, the editing of ths show didn't afford us the chance to see anything except a glimpse of it when the 2 groups came in.

So did they actually show it during their presentation and we just didn't see it or did they change their minds?

As far as presentation goes, the women looked like a team -- all in the flight attendants uniforms looking basically the same and more importantly CONFIDENT in what they were selling. Omarosa didn't like the campaign, but still, she backed it up as "Damn good." They exuded comfidence, which I think was part of the deal breaker.

Agree, Omarosa did a great job playing part of the team. The women did look more confident in their presentation.

In contrast, the men reminded me of a bunch of college kids doing a presentation for class. They were not confident and it showed. Of course, the men's #1 faux pas was not meeting with the client, which I believe ultimately costed them.

Not meeting the client was definately their BIG mistake.

Oh, and now at the Apprentice website you can see examples from both campaigns.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Hug me!
    Well.. women won.. EXPLAIN THAT!
    "Charla is intelligent and beautiful and I just felt really stupid for picking ... for, you know... liking someone that wasn't available really.. certainly not to me." Quote from Dave (Paradise Hotel).

NY Times 1/16/04 Ad From 'Apprentice' Will Get Real Use

looks like the campaign...
    but i couldn't get through the website... but i have no idea which one... the link is on the sirlinksalot link above... hehe...

Art of the (real) deal

BY DONNA PETROZZELLO
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Viewers Randy Brandoff, Ken Austin; left, Jason Curis

Millions watched NBC's "The Apprentice" last night.
    But few were more interested in the outcome of the Donald Trump-centered reality series than executives at Marquis Jet. The company was the real-life client for an ad campaign competition used to decide who Trump would boot out.

So we watched the show with Ken Austin and Randy Brandoff, executives of Marquis Jet. The company sells flight time on a fleet of sleek private planes.

The duo's excitement rose at the first mention of the company. Their business was on network TV - and you can't buy that kind of exposure.

"To me, it means everything to hear Donald Trump say Marquis Jet," Austin said.

Their bottom line: Task-master Trump made the right choice when he gave the win to the women's team. He later gathered the men in his board room and fired Jason Curis, a 24-year-old real estate company president from Detroit.

But don't expect to see the ladies' provocative print campaign anytime soon.

It's sexy, the execs said. Too sexy.

Artsy photos used by the women in print ads turned the jets into phallic symbols while the men clung to more traditional images of men in business suits and well-heeled pilots.

The women may have gone over the top, but at least their ads were eye-catching. The men's campaign was not.

"The right message was there, but almost anyone could have done that," Austin said of the men's ads. "They were generic."

The women used sex appeal to win last week's competition, too, selling more lemonade at a street stand than the all-male team. Each week one of the 16 contestants is eliminated. The winner gets a job with Trump.

"The women were trying to wow," Austin said after the show. "Their direction might have been wrong, but at least they've got moxie."

He was more bullish about the women's TV spot, which uses a stylish display of the Marquis Jet flyer card and the tagline, "Own it."

Next week, the company plans to air a 30-second version of the ad on a local station in Aspen, Colo.

"The women were going down the right path," said Austin, executive vice president and chief marketing officer. "They were incredibly creative in pushing the envelope."

The women also did their homework, visiting the company and talking with officials Brandoff, the company's vice president, blamed team leader Curis for not meeting with company decision makers before his team went to work.

"In business, that's what is known as a 'CLM,' a 'career limiting move,'" said Brandoff.

Originally published on January 16, 2004

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...p-136559c.html
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

The women's campaign was sexist and unprofessional.
    The men's print work was great.
    I disagree.

The women's campaign was sexist and unprofessional.
    I think "unprofessional" goes too far. Their presentation of the material was top notch - especially Omarosa, who didn't let an ounce of her real feelings show. If she had showed any doubt it would have killed them.

Actually, I thought the men's commercial was tacky and sexist too. It had the "wife" blathering on how she didn't have to worry about her big important husband getting lost in the airport (or something like that). To me that's more traditionally sexist than using phallic symbols to catch your eye.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Also I have to say that in the US advertising isn't very bold in terms of sexual content. Mainly due to the more conservative public.
    In Europe sexually controversial or explicit ads are nothing unusual. I think the women's campaign was not distasteful in any way. On the contrary, it showed a better artistic and innovative value than the men's.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindirella
    Also I have to say that in the US advertising isn't very bold in terms of sexual content. Mainly due to the more conservative public.
    In Europe sexually controversial or explicit ads are nothing unusual. I think the women's campaign was not distasteful in any way. On the contrary, it showed a better artistic and innovative value than the men's.
    I agree. Its not like they showed pictures of nude bodies or anything, the photos were of the airplanes, for heaven's sake. In my opinion, successful advertising campaigns are the ones that grab your attention and make you look twice. The men's ads were boring to me...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by onetvslave
    Next week, the company plans to air a 30-second version of the ad on a local station in Aspen, Colo.
    They couldn't have been too atrocious if the company is going ahead with their TV ad.

I thought the combination of their creativity, their moxie during the presentation, and their attention to all the details - wearing flight attendant uniforms (dorky but effective) - really made them stand out, which was the point of the contest.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast