+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6/25 Top 22 Guys' Performances Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

6/25 Top 22 Guys' Performances Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

Please keep all discussion about tonight's show in this thread until 12:30 AM EDT. Thanks and enjoy the show.

Re: 6/25 Top 22 Guys' Performances Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

Ben announces tonight is the first live performance. Live only in Atlantic Canada as the show is being
    staggered for a 8:00 PM start in each time zone. A bright spot is that tonight they have a live band
    instead of just a piano so tonight's show already is better than last year.

Farley tells why Scarlett Burke was chosen and says she was "destined" for this. I'm not sure that's
    much of an explanation but that's all Farley is willing to say. Scarlett tells of her excitement at being
    chosen to fill in for Ritchea Hodge who left the Top 22 for "personal" reasons.

The guys are introduced and JayDee is given a brief interview where he says that playing in bars since
    he was 11 has prepared him for anything that this competition can throw at him. JayDee is up first and
    sings a rockabilly song Johnny B. Goode. I guess for his first performance he wants to stay in his comfort
    zone. He's good but he's not showing us that he's anything other than a rockabilly singer.

1-866-9IDOL01

The judges:

Jake: told us you were going to learn some new songs would have been better had it been from the last 3 decades expect more from you in the future

Farley: really well with that a big fan of your voice

Sass: you understand that people like songs that they know and being 16 the song is now

Zack: you're lucky you're so pretty, no problem with the total retro thing, it's integral to who you are, I dig it

Following JayDee is Clifton Murray who says he is an actor/singer. They show the clip where he said he wanted
    to be the next American Idol (doofus). He said he was in Boston Legal and the movie She's The Man.

He sings the Goo Goo Dolls I'll Be. He's not a bad singer but I find him on the boring side. If this is his best then
    he should leave tonight cuz he wasn't The Man tonight.

1-866-9IDOL02

Farley: that was really good bro, started out shaky and ended on a win

Sass: I just love people who know what they're doing

Zack: I hope the show this year is not about that, way into the goat cheese

Jake: this show isn't about that one big note, more about feeling and desire and I didn't think that you meant it.

Derek Hoffman is up third. He says he's an Indie singer and he'll sing what he wants to sing.

Derek sings a song by The Shoes (I've never heard of them or the song before). His vocal is absolutely a crime
    to the ears of the nation. I thought Clifton was boring but Derek's singing was just horrific. Send him home!

1-866-9IDOL03

Sass: the only reason I asked if you were a poseur, not the strongest vocal performance but you have something special

Zack: you sang that really bad, but I think you're a rock star if you can survive enough weeks, just sing better

Jake: I miss you with your guitar, that's your comfort zone, you're not a front man without a guitar

Farley: be relevant to what's going on in the market place and you are relevant so good on you.

Justyn Wesley sings after Derek. He said he was nervous when he first sang before the judges. He wants to give his soul
    to all us guys. He chose Some Kind Of Wonderful as his song. His face has been manscaped to within an inch of his life.
    His eye brows are almost scary in how they've been plucked and groomed. His vocal is very Vegas Lounge act. Not at all
    someone I think I'd care to tune into and watch each week.

1-866 -9IDOL04

Zack: took classic wedding schmaltz and sing it as your first number on the show. you did it kinda funky cool

Jake: I felt you did way better than that, it was like being at a wedding nothing for me

Farley: it showed smatterings of the soul that got you here

Sass: you also have a little funky Cole Medina yeah!

Dwight D'Eon is up next. Says he lots of experience and wants to step up as front man. Wants to branch out and be multi-dimensional in
    what he sings and performance.

I have no idea what song Dwight is singing You Make Me Want To Cry??? It's a Philosopher Kings song. He's not bad at all. Much better than everybody who went after
    JayDee.

1-866-9IDOL05

Jake: You lit up the room for the first time tonight

Farley: I can't wait to see how you develop, you push really hard I like that

Sass: I appreciate the intensity you have but you let it get away from what you can really do, but God Bless You

Zack: I think seriously you're a real contender for this whole thing so you better be around for next week.

Greg Neufeld follows Dwight. Tells us what he learned from last year will help him move on. He's singing Maroon Five's This Love. His vocal is
    good. On the whole not bad at all.

1-866-9IDOL06

Farley: you have a command of that genre and physically a good job too

Sass: Great choice of song and a new dance move the Greggie Hop

Zack: Well Rocket Man that was the bomb you killed that

Jake: This is a whole new year and I think you got gypped last year and this year I think you're The GUy, you're the Guy.

Tyler Mullendore is the next singer. He's giving clipped sort of weird answers to Ben's inane questions. He's going to lay it down on the line.
    He's singing Brown Sugar by the Rolling Stones. He's good at using the stage and his voice is pure rocker. It's not my favourite type of voice
    but he's okay at what he does and he isn't a lounge singer or off key or boring so he gets to stay for another week.

1-866-9IDOL07

Sass - a whole new flavour to the word authentic

Zack - don't think we've had anyone who plays the game the way you do

Jake - we picked you for exactly what you showed us tonight, you're the kind of people I love

Farley - unabashed uninhibited you're an unchained melody

To fill in time we get an inane sketch where the alleged comedian Dave Kerr plays a loudmouthed army sergeant. It wasn't funny at all.

Andrew Austin sings next. He got to play background guitar for the "legendary" Andy Kim of Sugar Sugar fame. He's been a musician
    for a long time. He hopes to be exciting and connect with the audience for the first time.

He picked Freedom by George Michael. His vocals aren't that strong and he looks a bit awkard on the stage. Not as bad as some of the others
    but not great either.

1-866-9IDOL08

Zack: I don't think you're ready for what this is about.

Jake: I thought it was a really good performance, You sang well, you have soul and you should be here

Farley: I was kind of 50/50 on it. You can sing better than you did on it, I wanna hear you sing better

Sass: You sang okay but not enough to make up a lack of charisma for me.

Matt Rapley is going to shock and awe us. He picks Stevie Wonder's Isn't She Lovely. His vocal is pretty good but hasn't this song been
    done to death already. He isn't a very exciting performer to watch on stage and uses a lot of melisma in his performance.

1-866-9IDOL09

Jake: I thought vocally really strong performance, lacking in charisma though but that can be overcome

Farley: you are a monster on the stage

Sass: you have this lovely charming vibe plus that's singing

Zack: you're a monster you should be here till the very end

Brian Melo is second last. His band was making a cd when he auditioned so the cd is on hold. He wants everyone off their chair tonight and
    if so he's done his job. He is singing the Watchmen's Stereo. I didn't know much about him but he gave a great performance. His voice is
    strong but understated and he was very comfortable on stage singing. He's one to watch break away from the pack.

1-866-9IDOL10

Farley: a wonderful example of why I love your voice great tone

Sass: Great self confidence great singing YES!

Zack: you're the first person tonight who's clearly TOP 10

Jake: You delivered and I agree with Sass definitely Top 10

Liam Styles Chang has the pimp spot tonight. He says he's not as depressed as he looks. He's all about surprises. He chose This Magic
    Moment as his song tonight. He's got great stage presence and is certainly not plagued by nerves. His voice is actually really good on this
    song. I like him and his performance.

1-866-9IDOL11

Sass: His new name is Liam the Dree-um. You made that moment magic

Zack: the fact is you just cut through these guys blaring behind you, good job bro

Jake: you took a retro song and rearranged it and made it punk rock great performance

Farley: you are the valedictorian of the night, that performance was absolutely flawless

ok Cape Breton boy is just odd. He looks spastic on stage.
    Looks like it's just you and me IC, and I'm way late

Thanks for the comments. I'm way later. So far I am worried that this season is not going to be too good... sigh... some pretty forgettable performances. What I wouldn't give for a Jacob Hoggard on the stage.... I was surprised by the replacement pick too... I thought it would be that last girl they didn't let through, the one that was up against that icky Hanlon girl...
    Although I was hoping a guy would have dropped out so they could bring back that neat teacher guy. Matt?
    Dr. Will: My BB champion!

elk

Thanks so much for the recap/comments, IC. I find that so far I'm enjoying this season far more than I did last year or even AI6. I really like JayDee and especially Liam thus far.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

So the young kids are blowing away the older guys...very unexpected.

The standouts for me were Jaydee - he's actually been a standout for me from the beginning - along with Liam and Tyler. I admit I'm particular to Tyler - I don't totally buy his image but he's got an amazing talent. Love that Maritime accent, too.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Here's Rick McGinnis' take on last night's show with the guys of the Top 22:

Boy’s night at Idol’s first live performances

The Chart Attack review of the Top 22 Guys' Performances:

Canadian Idol Update: The Boys Of Summer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast