Hometown: Hare Bay, NL
Audition City: St. John's, NL
Place of Birth: Hare Bay, ON
Nickname: Tuey or T
Favourite Song: Good Mother by Jann Arden
Couldn't Live Without: "Music"
Would Like to Meet: Dwight Yoakam
Motto: "Live life for today and prepare for the future."

"I am most proud of the hard work that I have put into my musical career. I have been paying my dues and going through struggles and I will continue to do so until I feel I have reached the top!"

Tara has been a professional singer since she was 18 and is the lead singer of a country band that tours throughout Ontario. Although she splits her time between Ontario and Newfoundland, her home province has a special place in her heart because "everyone is always willing to help others in need, whether they are strangers or not."

To become the next Canadian Idol, Tara believes it is going to take a lot of concentration, practice and determination. Although she was shocked when she found out she had made it into the Top 22, she also felt like she had won the lottery.

A Toronto Maple Leafs fan, Tara plays ball hockey and would love to meet Dwight Yoakam. She spends her time writing songs, learning guitar and interior decorating with her mom.

"The song title that best describes me would be 'Up!' by Shania Twain," she says. "Whenever things are not going the way I want them to, I always remember to laugh about it. There are too many people in this world who have to live in horrible situations. I appreciate my life everyday."

Tara's favourite food is cold plates. "It's a Newfoundland dish that consists of salads, turkey, jell-o, dressing, and lettuce," she explains. "It is all served cold in two paper plates taped on top of each other! Mmm!"

Although the competition has not changed Tara, "it has changed the way I feel about the show," she says. "I have such great respect for anyone who has gone through this before."

CTV.ca | Tara Oram