Martha Joy

Hometown: Toronto, ON
    Audition City: London, ON
    Place of Birth: Toronto, ON
    Nickname: MJ or Martitty
    Favourite Song: 'Wind Beneath My Wings' by Bette Midler
    Couldn't Live Without: "My laptop"
    Would Like to Meet: "My grandfather"
    Motto: "Singing is not the only thing I can do...but it is the only thing that I want to do"

"Even though I might come across as a very shy girl initially, I want Canadian Idol viewers to know that I am an outgoing and funny person."

Having both a European father and an Asian mother, Martha draws a lot of her inspiration from her family. "My mom has been one of the most inspiring people in my life. She has overcome many obstacles in her life to get me to where I am today. Both of my parents have been there for me from the beginning, through the good times and the bad."

Martha is currently a Grade 11 student at Cardinal Carter Academy for the Arts in Toronto. She enjoys eating Chinese food, hanging out with her friends and playing with her two wiener dogs, Tootsie Joy and Peanuts.

Martha credits her selection to the Canadian Idol Top 22 to her years of vocal training and love for music. But it has been no easy ride. "I was most surprised by the rigorous schedule of the competition," says Martha. "On TV it seems so glamorous, but behind the scenes it can be emotionally and physically draining." Martha says she learned from the challenge of selecting the perfect song. "The hardest part was selecting the right song. With little sleep, it taught me how to work under pressure and perform at my best."

Martha has the ability to sing in six different languages, including Portuguese, Filipino, Italian, Spanish, French and English. However, even though she can sing in six languages, she only speaks Filipino and English.

What is Martha looking forward to about this season of Canadian Idol? "I feel most comfortable when I'm on stage singing in front of a big audience," she says. "Viewers can expect to see a solid performance (from me) every week."

CTV.ca | Martha Joy

Re: Martha Joy

Here's the MetroNews profile for Martha Joy:

Canadian Idol spotlight: Martha Joy

FORT Fanatic

Both of my parents have been there for me from the beginning, through the good times and the bad.
    Oh please. She's 16 years old, in grade 11. She hasn't even had a beginning yet.

(Sorry. I'm still supremely ticked off that the judges put through 8, EIGHT!#1%$# 16 & 17 year olds and booted the older, more experienced entertainers that might have put on a good show for the audience to watch.)

Quote Originally Posted by stickle;2447314;
    Oh please. She's 16 years old, in grade 11. She hasn't even had a beginning yet.

(Sorry. I'm still supremely ticked off that the judges put through 8, EIGHT!#1%$# 16 & 17 year olds and booted the older, more experienced entertainers that might have put on a good show for the audience to watch.)
    ITA!!! I was really excited by this years group but the judges picked the more generic and younger people.

Martha was one that I really didn't like all that much.

Martha has her own website:

Welcome to www.Martha Joy Lim.ca

Quote Originally Posted by stickle;2447314;

I have to agree.
    She makes it sound like she's been slogging away in smoky bars for years trying to get a recording contract.
    "That's Numberwang!"

She has so many fans. What did I miss that she did so well early on?

FORT Fanatic

I taped this weeks show (July 24/25th) and when Martha Joy came on I closed my eyes and listened. For just listening she sounded great. Then I opened my eyes and watched/listened again. I think one of the things that is bothersome with her is how she reacts to comments from the judges. Admittedly, she hasn't had a lot of love from them in spite of the fact that they acknowledge her technical skills and voice, but she gets this look on her face that is really off-putting when the critique happens. She is very young and criticism is ahrd to deal with at any age but harder when you are young. She has probably had everyone telling her how great she is prior to this and she is, but her performance skills haven't had time to catch up with her voice and neither has her maturity.

+ Reply to Thread