+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kalan Porter's New Single

FORT Fanatic

Kalan Porter's New Single

Kalan's single, Down in Heaven, will be released to radio stations June 5th. For a pre-release listen, go to his myspace here. I love it. His voice sounds better than ever and the orchestration behind him is wonderful! And the response is, I'm sure, beyond his wildest dreams. In just three days it has had over 10,000 plays, dozens and dozens of people have put it on their own websites, and people from all over the world are hearing it and making good comments about it. Someone in Australia has even started an Australian Fans of Kalan Porter site! The cd itself is scheduled to be released August 28.

Go have a listen. It's very radio friendly and I think he's got a hit on his hands!

FORT Newbie

Re: Kalan Porter's New Single

What a huge disappointment. I don't know why, but I expected more from him. The song sounds just like an Idol coronation song with a better mix. This is a mediocre pop song that I think will get old fast.

Well I finally went to Myspace and listened to the song. His voice has a bit more maturity to it and the song was very "listenable". It will most likely get played a lot on Canadian radio. It's not the greatest song I've ever heard in my life but it certainly is far from the worst song too.

I haven't been keeping up with what Kalan has been doing so I can't say I'm disappointed with the song. If he wants to get back out into the public consciousness then he could do far worse than this song. I'm sure his fans will love it and people not that aware of him up till now may want to hear more after hearing this song.

Who knows if I could pick big hits I wouldn't be sitting here posting to an Internet message board.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by IdolCanadien;2417309;
    Well I finally went to Myspace and listened to the song. His voice has a bit more maturity to it and the song was very "listenable". It will most likely get played a lot on Canadian radio. It's not the greatest song I've ever heard in my life but it certainly is far from the worst song too.

I haven't been keeping up with what Kalan has been doing so I can't say I'm disappointed with the song. If he wants to get back out into the public consciousness then he could do far worse than this song. I'm sure his fans will love it and people not that aware of him up till now may want to hear more after hearing this song.

Who knows if I could pick big hits I wouldn't be sitting here posting to an Internet message board.
    Good to hear you liked it IdolCanadien. It's much more 'radio friendly' than a lot of his fans were thinking it might be. The speculation is that he needs a song like this to get the buzz out that he's back in business. He certainly did a lot of collaborating with a variety of different people in the business and recorded it with a highly respected producer in Los Angeles so I think there's a good chance that the next single that will be released, probably close to the cd release date, will have more of a rock edge to it.

It certainly has gotten a rousing reception. In eight days there has been more that 20,000 plays of the song and that's without any publicity whatsoever, just internet chat. I think when he gets a video done for the song and puts that up on his YouTube channel that he'll get an awful lot more interest too. An exciting time for young Mr. Porter.

p.s. If you get a chance, have a look at the speech he gave to a Run for the Cure function a couple of weeks ago which is now posted on his myspace. It'll give you an idea of what's been going on with him for the last couple of years, why he didn't get the cd out sooner, plus it shows what a charming and funny young man he is.

FORT Fanatic

An update on Kalan's single - it's moving up some of the charts very nicely! It's been on the R&R HOT AC chart for a couple weeks and is sitting at #33 today. He's on the AC and Top 40 charts too but not as high as HOT AC. Yet. Plus he's on a whole bunch of more localized charts like Atlantic Canada and whatnot.

His video is debuting on Thursday on Much Music's Much on Demand show so that should help the single's positioning on the charts. The CI5 contestants had an outing to the location where he was shooting the video and apparently there'll be a little clip of that and some snippets of the video on the Wednesday results show. From some still photos we've seen of the shoot, it looks cute. Drives up to a date's house in an old beater that dies on him and while he's hoofing it, carrying a big bouquet of flowers, he's hit with rain and hail and snow and hurricanes and finally makes it to her with one sad little bedraggled flower. But love conquers all and he's so joyous he's looking Down in Heaven.

He must be very pleased (at least I sure hope he is) with how it's all going as he was very very nervous about whether he'd have any fans left after two years away. He does. Loads of them.

+ Reply to Thread