+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eva Avila

Congrats to Eva for becoming the new Canadian Idol.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3387724

Toronto, ON (October 20, 2006) - Eva Avila, the 2006 Canadian Idol winner, has been selected to sing the national anthem for this year's Grey Cup on November 19 in Winnipeg at Canad Inns Stadium.

This will be the latest honour for the 19-year-old Gatineau, Quebec resident who has captured the hearts of Canadians with her powerful vocal style.

"I am so excited to perform at this year's Grey Cup," Avila said. "I know how much this game means to the country, and I can't wait to get to Winnipeg!"

CFL Commissioner Tom Wright said the addition of Eva Avila is a great opportunity to showcase a rising, Canadian star.

"Eva Avila connected with Canadians on Canadian Idol, and performing the national anthem in a signature Canadian sports and cultural event such as the Grey Cup is a great thing for the Canadian Football League and for Eva," Wright said. "We're glad to have her talent showcased for the millions of viewers who annually watch the Grey Cup in Canada and around the world."

Kevin Walters, the Grey Cup Festival's Managing Director, welcomed Eva Avila's participation in this year's event.

"It's great having a new up-and-coming talent such as Eva Avila singing the national anthem after making a name for herself on Canadian Idol," Walters said. "It's an honour for the Grey Cup Committee and it will be a treat for everyone attending the game in person and everyone watching it on television."

I believe that somewhere down the line she will move to the states.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/A/...4/2351093.html

Eva Avila launches inaugural album today

By ANN MARIE McQUEEN -- Ottawa Sun

Eva Avila had little more than three weeks to record the album she dreamed of making for years, but the Gatineau teen-turned-Canadian Idol swears she's more than satisfied with the effort.

The 13 songs on Somewhere Else, which hits stores today, were recorded at Sony BMG's Toronto studios and crafted by a bevy of professional songwriters, including Chantal Kreviazuk and Our Lady Peace frontman Raine Maida, who co-penned the ubiquitous first single, Meant to Fly, and Cyndi Lauper, who pitched in on This Kind of Love.

Avila swears she chose her favourite songs from hundreds made available to her and reworked them to suit her mix of pop, R&B and soul.

"That's what I was really happy about," she told the Sun. "I had a big say in this album. It wasn't like 'and insert face here. You're an Idol and we tell you what to say.' "

Avila had heard other Idol competitions around the world have their winner spit out an album in one week, with everything from songs to backup singers lined up in advance.

"That's insane. I would freak out if it were like that," she said. "It's not 'You, we're taking you and using you as an object.' A lot of people have that opinion on Idol. In this situation, I'm totally impressed."

WELL-WORN SINGLE

The well-worn Meant to Fly has been in rotation since hours after Avila's win. The second single, a Latin-tinged number called I Owe It All To You, will hit airwaves Dec. 4.

Avila had other concerns about the whole Idol thing, concerns that kept her from trying out for four years, until she made a quick turnaround last winter and decided to go for it at the Ottawa auditions.

"I thought, I don't know if I want to make it in this business that way," she said. "You know, instant stardom, you make an album quick quick, but does it last?"

LONGEVITY

By the time she had made it past the judges during tryouts, Avila had changed her mind about that. And though only time will tell, when she sat down with the Sun to talk about the album, she still seemed confident her career will surpass the more modest longevity of past Idol winners, such as Ryan Malcolm or Kalan Porter.

Mostly, she doesn't have any time to think about it just now. Avila is currently on a cross-country promotional tour which will blend into rehearsals for the national tour set to kick off early next year.

She is set to sing the national anthem at the Grey Cup in Winnipeg on Sunday, and return to her hometown in February when she is booked to sing at the Maison de la culture Feb. 20-21.

She sang great at the Grey Cup. It's a bonus she speaks French as well! I wonder if she will do a French only CD on day.

Great timing for her new CD to come out for Christmas giving!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Just finished listening to her album and for the most part it was a well made album.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...05bf0b&k=64191

Avila comes up with best Idol debut disc yet

Sandra Sperounes, The Ottawa Citizen
    Published: Tuesday, November 14, 2006
    Somewhere Else *** 1/2

Eva Avila (Sony BMG)

Another autumn, another album by a new Canadian Idol champ.

While Eva Avila's predecessors all proved they could sing, Sony BMG didn't seem to care about finding quality songs to include on their first discs. Avila lucks out with Somewhere Else, the best Idol debut, hands down. Instead of trying to turn the 19 year old into a rocker or a balladeer, she's given a collection of pop, dance, R&B and soul numbers -- with an urban feel akin to the Pussycat Dolls, Rihanna, etc. I Owe It All To You is a Latin-lite club thumper. Should I Fall ping-pongs with beats and guitars while Fallin' For You feels like synth-funk doo-wop.

Avila also gets to show off her soulful side. "Feels like I'm back in fifth grade/ daydreaming 'bout when you ask me to come and play," she croons on Weak In The Knees. (Granted, the lyrics are awful, but her sultry pout makes up for it.)

Avila might not necessarily have the best voice of all the Idol winners, but she has the most expressive chops, which makes her easy to listen to. Now, we'll just have to see if she can pass the biggest test -- touring. She plans to hit the road in 2007.

http://www.evaavila.com/en/tour.html

Date City Venue Notes / Ticket Info
    Feb 14 Montréal, QC Métropolis Tickets available at the Spectrum, at ticketpro outlets or by phone: 514-908-9090 or 1-866-908-9090

Feb 16 Sherbrooke, QC Salle Maurice O’Bready Tickets available at the Cultural Centre, by phone: 819-820-1000, or 1-800-361-4595 or online at www.admission.com

Feb 18 Drummondville, QC Centre Culturel Tickets available at www.ovation.qc.ca
    Tickets available by phone at the Cultural Centre: 1-866-387-2262

Feb 20 Gatineau, QC Salle Odyssée Tickets available online at www.ovation.qc.ca and by phone: 1-866-387-2262

Feb 21 Gatineau, QC Salle Odyssée Tickets available online at www.ovation.qc.ca and by phone: 1-866-387-2262

Feb 22 Gatineau, QC Salle Odyssée Tickets available online at www.ovation.qc.ca and by phone: 1-866-387-2262

Feb 24 Québec, QC Le Capitole Tickets available at the Capitole, at billetech outlets, by phone: 418-694-4444 or 1-800-261-9903 or online at www.billetech.com

Feb 27 Trois-Rivières, QC Salle Antonio Thompson Tickets available online at www.ovation.qc.ca and by phone at 1-866-387-2262

Feb 28 Granby, QC Le Palace de Granby Tickets available online at www.ovation.qc.ca or by phone: (450) 375-2262 or 1-866-387-2262

Mar 1 La Baie, QC Palais Municipal Tickets available online at www.ovation.qc.ca or by phone: 1-866-387-2262

Mar 2 Halifax, NS Rebecca Cohen Theatre Onsale Dec 14

Mar 4 Fredericton, NB Playhouse Onsale Dec 14

Mar 5 Moncton, NB Capitol Centre Onsale Dec 14

Mar 6 St. John, NB Imperial Theatre Onsale Dec 14

Mar 8 Cornwall, ON Aultsville Theatre Onsale Friday December 8 @ 10am
    Tickets available at the Aultsville Theatre Box Office, by phone at 613.938.9400 and online at www.admission.com

Mar 21 London, ON Centennial Hall Onsale Saturday December 9 @ 10am
    Tickets available at Centennial Hall Box office, by phone at 519.672.1967 and online at www.centennialhall.london.ca

Mar 23 North Bay, ON Capitol Centre Onsale Saturday December 9 @ 11am
    Tickets Capitol Centre Box office, by phone at 705.474.4747 and www.capitolcentre.ca

Mar 24 Sudbury, ON Fraser Auditorium Onsale Saturday December 9 @ 10am
    Tickets available at Sudbury Theatre Centre Box office or by calling 705.674.8381

March 27 Brandon, MB Westman Auditorium Onsale December 9
    Tickets available at Westman Auditorium

March 28 Regina, SK Conexus Arts Centre Onsale December 9
    Tickets available at all CBO Outlets, charge by phone 306-525-9999 or on line at www.saskcentreofthearts.com

March 29 Red Deer, AB Memorial Centre Onsale December 9
    Tickets available at the Black Knight Inn, charge by phone 403-343-666 or 1-800-661-8793 or on line at www.blackknightinn.ca

April 1 Calgary, AB MacEwan Hall Onsale December 9
    Tickets available at all Ticketmaster outlets, charge by phone 403-777-0000 or on line at www.ticketmaster.ca

April 2 Edmonton, AB Francis Winspear Centre Onsale December 9
    Tickets available at the Francis Winspear Box Office, charge by phone 780-428-1414 or order on line at www.winspearcentre.com

April 3 Saskatoon, SK TCU Place Onsale December 9
    Tickets available at all Ticketmaster outlets, charge by phone 306-938-7800 or on line at www.ticketmaster.ca

April 4 Winnipeg, MB Burton Cummings Theatre Onsale December 9
    Tickets available at all Ticketmaster outlets, charge by phone 204-780-3333 or on line at www.ticketmaster.ca

April 6 Thunder bay, ON Community Auditorium Onsale Saturday December 9 @ 10am
    Tickets available at Community Auditorium Box office, by phone 705.684.444 and online at www.tbca.com

April 12 Belleville, ON The Empire Theatre On sale on Dec 9 @ 10am - The Empire Theatre Box Office
    613-969-0099 X 1 www.TheEmpireTheatre.com

April 14 Toronto, ON Danforth Music Hall Onsale Saturday December 9 @ 11am
    Tickets available at all Ticketmaster outlets, by phone 416.870.8000 and online at www.ticketmaster.ca

April 15 Hamilton, ON Hamilton Place Onsale Saturday December 9 @ 11am
    Tickets available at all Ticketmaster outlets, by phone 905.527.7666 and online at www.ticketmaster.ca

April 16 Brampton, ON Rose Theatre On sale on Dec 9 @ 10 am - Box office: (905) 874-2800 www.rosetheatre.ca

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this. If not please remove it.

I already have my Eva Avila ticket.

Feb 17 Charlottetown, PE Confederation Landing Park, PEPSI Stage Tickets

There is another one, Sorry if it has been posted I must of just missed it lol
    And now he's wrapped around her finger,
    She's the center of his whole world.
    And his heart belongs to that sweet little beautiful, wonderful, perfect All-American Girl.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast