+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canadian Idol Moves to Three Nights per Week on CTV Beginning Monday, June 26

Canadian Idol Moves to Three Nights per Week on CTV Beginning Monday, June 26

12,000 Auditioned, 22 Remain: Meet the Canadian Idol Top 2

-- Canadian Idol Moves to Three Nights per Week on CTV Beginning Monday, June 26 --

Toronto, ON (June 20, 2006) - Five months, 8,100 kilometers and 12,000 auditions later, only 22 remain in the hunt for Canada's next Canadian Idol. On tonight's special two-hour Canadian Idol broadcast on CTV, judges Farley Flex, Jake Gold, Sass Jordan and Zack Werner revealed their final choices for the most exclusive semi-final group in the series' history: the elite Top 22. Now, CTV announces the names of the 22 competitors who will put it all on the line in front of the Canadian voting public beginning next week.

The 22 competitors represent eight provinces and 20 communities from Gibsons, BC to Upper Island Cover, NL. Ranging in age from 16 to 28, the semi-finalists are a snapshot of Canadian youth, representing Canada's diverse ethnic population, regional distinctions and celebrated singing talent. Among the evenly split 11 guys and 11 girls are students, singer/songwriters, a postal clerk, two grocery store clerks, construction workers, waiters, actors, a music teacher, an automotive detailer and a house framer. Four speak French as their first language. Six are under the age of 17. Seven are 25 years of age or older. Many have been developing their craft and performing in groups for years while others are just discovering their natural-born talent. All have the chance to become the next Canadian Idol.

"These kids rock," said Executive Producer John Brunton. "Now, more than ever, we are seeing more established artists in the competition who realize the potential of the series as a career-maker. Mixed in are some younger singers with genuinely, awe-inspiring raw talent. It all adds up to what promises to be a killer season."

The 22 semi-finalists have outperformed over 12,000 other Canadians throughout the audition process and survived seven rounds of auditions in front of Canadian Idol's four-member judging panel. Their fate now, however, lies in the hands of the voting public. Starting next Monday, June 26, Canadians will vote to determine which members of the Top 22 will advance to the Top 10 (voting details to be announced soon).

The Top 22 has been divided into two groups of 11 - The Girls and The Guys. Each male competitor will perform live on Mondays beginning June 26 and female competitors will perform live on Tuesdays beginning June 27 - both at 8 p.m. ET on CTV (check local listings). The first two, live performance shows are 90 minutes in length with subsequent performance episodes one-hour long.

After each live, performance show, Canadians will vote for their favourite competitors and results will be revealed during a half-hour show on Wednesdays, beginning June 28 at 9:30 p.m. ET on CTV (check local listings). On Wednesday's show, the two competitors with the least votes from both groups will be eliminated, leaving 18 to compete the following week. The process will continue with four competitors eliminated until the Top 10 in finally determined on Wednesday, July 12.

Meet the Canadian Idol Top 22:

Performing Monday, June 19: The Guys

* Nathan Brown, 26, Dewberry, AB, Recording Artist/Studio Engineer/ Producer/Songwriter

* Chad Doucette, 17, East Chezzetcook, NS, Student

* Sheldon Elter, 27, Edmonton, AB, Actor/Construction Worker

* Rob James, 28, Winnipeg, MB, Songwriter/Producer

* Brandon Jones, 17, Quispamsis, NB, High School Student

* Jeremy Koz ("Koz"), 26, Winnipeg, MB, Singer/Songwriter/Actor

* Chris Labelle, 24, Ottawa, ON, Server

* Tyler Lewis, 19, Rockglen, SK, Waiter

* Keith Macpherson, 27, Winnipeg, MB, Musician/Singer/Songwriter

* Greg Neufeld, 22, Abbotsford, BC, House Framer

* Craig Sharpe, 16, Upper Island Cove, NL, Singer/Songwriter

Performing Tuesday, June 20: The Girls

* Eva Avila, 19, Hull, QC, Postal Clerk/Beauty Consultant

* Ashley Coles, 16, Caledonia, ON, Student/Musician

* Ashley Coulter, 23, Emeryville, ON, Cashier

* Steffi D (DiDomenicantonio), 17, Orleans, ON, Student

* Kati Durst, 26, Goderich, ON, Automotive Detailer

* Val�rie Jalbert, 21, Saint-J�r�me, QC, Singer/Music Teacher

* Alyssa Klazek, 17, Calgary, AB, High School Student

* Sarah Loverock, 25, Gibsons, BC, Grocery Store Supervisor

* Alisha Nauth, 19, Kitchener, ON, Student

* Anna-Bella Oliva, 20, Montr�al, QC, Singer

* Nancy Silverman, 19, Thornhill, ON, Music Theatre Student

Music industry experts Farley Flex, Jake Gold, Sass Jordan and Zack Werner return, as opinionated as ever, to offer criticism, compliments and everything in between as Canadian Idol's four-member judging panel. Host Ben Mulroney also returns, offering even more support in his unofficial "big brother" role to the competitors. Roving Reporter and former Idol Top 6 competitor Elena Juatco joins the cast in 2006, providing advice and support to competitors from someone who has experienced the phenomenon herself.

Canadian Idol returns to CTV as a bona fide Canadian broadcasting phenomenon. By the end of Season Three, Canadian Idol viewers had cast an astonishing 38 million votes, an increase of 19 per cent compared to 2004 and more than one for every man, woman and child in the country. With an average audience of over 2 million viewers for its 33-episode run, the series ended as last summer's most-watched show in every demo, outperforming its nearest competitor by an amazing 37 per cent (2+). The series was viewed by over 17 million viewers in total, representing almost 60 per cent of the English Canadian population.

Earlier this year, FremantleMedia and CTV announced that they had inked a five-year extension for the format rights to Canadian Idol for Season 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. Based on FremantleMedia and 19TV's smash-hit international format Idols, Canadian Idol premiered on CTV in June, 2003 and has become Canada's most successful homegrown (English language) series since the advent of electronic measurement.*

I really don't think I can take three nights a week of CI so close on the heels of AI.

I don't like the voting out system just because it makes watching the show a commitment.
    I'd have preferred CI not to adopt it and stick to the old set up.

Oh Fluff of course you can handle three nights a week of CI. You handled all of last season of CI so that right there tells me you have the fortitude to handle the next few weeks. I agree with you about the format change though, I prefer the old format. This one puts 5 guys or 5 girls automatically into the Top 10 even if there aren't 5 worthy guys or 5 worthy girls. The other way was a crap shoot too (look at last year's Top 10) but I'd still prefer it over this way.

FORT Fanatic
    I'm willing to give it time and see how it goes, but it does mean the tape machine will be a lot busier and when you add in Big Brother and So You think you can dance, I hope I won't have too many conflicts.

Three nights is a bit much but it keeps moving along without a tonne of comercials, then it might just work out.

My home town crew: Nathan Brown, Sheldon Elter, and Alyssa Klazek
    I also like: Ashley Couter (the little one), Jeremy Coz, Rob James, and Anna-Bella. Winnipeg appears to have some stronge contenders.

Let the real competition begin!! :UP
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread