+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canadian Idol Top 22 Revealed Next Week, June 19 and 20 on CTV (Press Release)

Canadian Idol Top 22 Revealed Next Week, June 19 and 20 on CTV (Press Release)

For Immediate Release - June 15, 2006

Canadian Idol Top 22 Revealed Next Week, June 19 and 20 on CTV
    -- Surprise ending alters the course of the future for two competitors --

Toronto, ON (June 15, 2006) - Last month, 212 competitors from across Canada converged upon Toronto for four days of intensive, cut-throat eliminations. Now, only 22 remain and next week, Canadians find out who they are. The comedy is over and the drama begins on Canadian Idol, airing Monday, June 19 and Tuesday, June 20 at 8 p.m. ET on CTV (check local listings). At the end of Tuesday's episode, viewers will be introduced to the 2006 Canadian Idol Top 22, with 11 guys and 11 girls representing Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, London, Kitchener, Toronto, Ottawa-Gatineau, Montreal, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, among other locales.

And in a surprise ending, one competitor receives a second shot at fame.

On Monday's episode, 212 young singers between the ages of 16 and 28 arrive in Toronto for the beginning of Canadian Idol boot camp - four days of exhaustive auditions in which dozens of people are eliminated each day. On the first day, competitors are brought on stage in chorus line fashion to perform a capella in front of Canadian Idol's judging panel. Decisions are made swift and fast after their performance, with almost 90 competitors being dismissed from the competition to return home. Later in the episode, the remaining 122 competitors must organize themselves into groups and rehearse a brand new song with less than 12 hours notice to be performed on Day Two. As the pressure intensifies, emotions run high: some competitors step up to the plate and deliver while others fail miserably at their shot at stardom. At the end of the episode, another 46 competitors are sent home.

On Tuesday's episode, the remaining 76 competitors must find a partner and rehearse a duet to be performed on Day Three of the auditions. At this point, true stars begin to emerge while the pretenders become obvious. More cuts are made and on Day Four, 44 competitors get their last chance for a spot in the coveted Top 22 when they once again perform solo in front of the Canadian Idol judges. After intensive deliberations, the four judges present the good news - and the bad - in the dramatic conclusion to the episode, in which the 2006 Canadian Idol Top 22 are revealed. But just before that, host Ben Mulroney announces a surprise change that will alter the future of two of the competitors.

Canadian Idol Top 22 performance and results episodes begin airing in two weeks. Beginning Monday, June 26, performance episodes will air Mondays and Tuesdays on CTV with results announced on Wednesdays.

Thanks hepcat. Lots of interesting stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Decisions are made swift and fast after their performance, with almost 90 competitors being dismissed from the competition to return home.
    Wow, 90 gone on the first day. That's pretty brutal. Should make it easier for us to keep track of some of the remaining ones though.
    - in the dramatic conclusion to the episode, in which the 2006 Canadian Idol Top 22 are revealed. But just before that, host Ben Mulroney announces a surprise change that will alter the future of two of the competitors.
    Hmm. Intriguing. Wonder what the surprise is going to be.

Oh I say, a twist!
    I wonder if the viewers will get an early chance to vote and be able to put a couple of people into the top group.
    The top 22 is a strange number, top 24 is usual and obviously they have some way of determining the other two if they are to go with 24 again.
    I can't really think of another way of getting two more people into the top 24.
    If they do decide to allow viewers votes (and I know I'm jumpinbg the gun here) I hope all the people the viewers can vote for are given equal screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    Oh I say, a twist!
    I wonder if the viewers will get an early chance to vote and be able to put a couple of people into the top group.
    The top 22 is a strange number, top 24 is usual and obviously they have some way of determining the other two if they are to go with 24 again.
    I can't really think of another way of getting two more people into the top 24.
    If they do decide to allow viewers votes (and I know I'm jumpinbg the gun here) I hope all the people the viewers can vote for are given equal screen time.
    Top 22 allows them to cut four each week (2 guys and 2 girls) for three weeks to get to Top 10. Top 24 would throw that out of whack.

I've read some rumours on another board about Alyssa - is that her name? The blue haired heavy metal band singer? Maybe some legal technicalities about her eligibility to compete on CI, maybe she and her band already have a contract or something. So maybe she makes Top 22 and then has to pull out so someone who was already cut gets a second chance? But that still leaves some kind of surprise for a second contestant. Who knows? Guess we'll find out soon enough.

FORT Fanatic
    I am so looking forward to the new season. see you all here later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
    Top 22 allows them to cut four each week (2 guys and 2 girls) for three weeks to get to Top 10. Top 24 would throw that out of whack.

I've read some rumours on another board about Alyssa - is that her name? The blue haired heavy metal band singer? Maybe some legal technicalities about her eligibility to compete on CI, maybe she and her band already have a contract or something. So maybe she makes Top 22 and then has to pull out so someone who was already cut gets a second chance? But that still leaves some kind of surprise for a second contestant. Who knows? Guess we'll find out soon enough.
    So, are they eliminating this season like they have for the past two seasons on AI?
    Guys one night, gals the next?
    CI generally votes in rather than votes out in the old AI format.
    This is why 24 makes sense to me.
    Three semi finals of eight each.
    Three get in from each semi and one wildcard.
    It'll be interesting to see how this pans out this season then.

+ Reply to Thread