+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CI / AI comparison

CI / AI comparison

Some guy has written an article comparing the two shows. Here's his first comment:
    At the urging of a Canadian Idol fan, I wrote a review of the season premiere of CI4 and did some comparing and contrasting of the show with American Idol. http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/n...006-664659.html
    I write about American Idol for my day job and just wrapped up season 5 of AI.
    ....and then a bit of a clarification. His inaccuracies about the judges and their qualifications were pointed out to him.
    Yeah, Monday's show was my first exposure to CI.....about the differences in musical aesthetics - that is something I noticed, but failed to write about. Just the intro of the show was so much more hip, cool and CONTEMPORARY than anything AI puts on. That alone impressed me.

And yeah, maybe I misread the judges. But I tried to take a first whack at it. I'll be tuning in to the second episode ...
    I enjoyed reading his opinions and hope he does watch and write about more episodes. I think he'll gain a little respect for our judges, although if the previews of garbage can throwing and temper tantrums are as bad as they look, maybe not!

The thing that strikes me most about the two shows is that the CI judges seem more about pure vocal talent than anything else imo.
    They'll put through people who are not in the mold of the most commerically popular singers of the day.
    CI judges eyes do not light up like Simon's did as soon as he saw Katharine and Kellie, when a pretty girl or good looking guy walks in.
    I always think of Simon as a business man who happens to be in music, rather than someone with a deep seated love of music.
    The CI judges are about the music first I think.

I agree. I do think Simon is brilliant at weeding out the hopefuls who have what it takes to be a *star*. However, to give him credit, I think he keeps the intent of AI on track when Randy & Paula get all stupid over a contestant who isn't marketable *coughElliottcough* - the intent being to produce an "Idol", not an artist.

I'm slightly flabbergasted that an American writer considers a Canadian TV show more "hip, cool, and contemporary" than its American version. That is high praise, for sure! I'm just not used to hearing Canadians described that way!
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Oops. I should be more careful about checking the links I post to make sure they actually work! Here's the actual article he wrote. http://blogs.phillyburbs.com/blog.php?p=5862&cat=39
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I'm slightly flabbergasted that an American writer considers a Canadian TV show more "hip, cool, and contemporary" than its American version. That is high praise, for sure! I'm just not used to hearing Canadians described that way!
    No kidding, eh? Here's what he said in the article:
    The editing and production is much more hip and modern and seems designed to appeal to a younger audience. This is the opposite of American Idolís Wal-Mart approach to create the most bland and widely-appealing program to lure in audiences.
    Wal-Mart approach. Hee!
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    The thing that strikes me most about the two shows is that the CI judges seem more about pure vocal talent than anything else imo.
    They'll put through people who are not in the mold of the most commerically popular singers of the day.......The CI judges are about the music first I think.
    Really good point, fluff. I hadn't thought about it that way but I think you nailed it. Maybe because the CI judges don't have a direct financial interest in the cd's the Idols put out, unlike Simon, the music itself is a higher priority.

Thanks Ogopogo for that site and the comparison. That is really quite nice to see some good words about CI!

You had very good points fluff and Ajane about the differences in the judges and whether they fall for a good looking contestant or one that may really be able to sing.

I think what the blogger said was interesting that the first show balanced good singers with some for entertainment purposes as well. Editing can make or break a show. The skills of a good editor can go unnoticed a lot.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I agree. I do think Simon is brilliant at weeding out the hopefuls who have what it takes to be a *star*. However, to give him credit, I think he keeps the intent of AI on track when Randy & Paula get all stupid over a contestant who isn't marketable *coughElliottcough* - the intent being to produce an "Idol", not an artist.

I beg to differ, AJane. I believe Elliott is eminently marketable. Just perhaps not as easily marketable as Chris, Katharine or even Taylor. Elliott requires more marketing work while Katharine can sing covers of any old torch song and get marketed based on looks alone.

Hi everyone, I'm a long-time luker, first-time poster, so hopefully I don't say anything stupid or redundant!

Anyway, I've watched off-and-on pretty much every season of AI and CI, and what strikes me as the biggest differences between the two shows is not that one is "hipper" than the other, but it's that the musical styles that are promoted are quite different. With Canadian Idol, the judges, and as a result the voters I think, seem to prefer a more alt-rock sound. You can see this with how far someone like Rex made it last year, and even Melissa had that rocker-chick sound, as well as Suzy Rawn. Theresa and Jacob from CI2 could easily be considered alternative-style singers as well.

But with AI, especially with the first 3 seasons, R&B-ish singers (Ruben, Fantasia, K-Lo, Jasmine, etc.) and big belters like Clay seem to do the best, and there always seems to be a handful of country singers thrown into the mix.

I've always wondered, if Ryan Malcolm, or Melissa O'Neill made it to the final 12 in American Idol, how far would they go? My guess is not very far at all, because the musical tastes in each country is very different (take Melissa McGhee as someone similar to Melissa O'Neill or Suzy Rawn). Even when AI has a 'rocker' in the final group (Chris or Bo), it's a much more mainstream rock sound, like they're trying to copy the sound of Eddie Vedder or something like that (and not that I'm implying that Eddie Vedder is mainstream, just that rockers today seem to want to emulate his voice, *cough*Nickelback*cough*)

Hope that makes some sense!

Quote Originally Posted by PolyesterKing View Post
    what strikes me as the biggest differences between the two shows is not that one is "hipper" than the other, but it's that the musical styles that are promoted are quite different. With Canadian Idol, the judges, and as a result the voters I think, seem to prefer a more alt-rock sound.
    Not sure I agree with the description of 'alt-rock', although that can cover so many different styles you might be right. It seems to me that, like AJane and Fluff said, CI is just more open to all styles and a little less hung up on finding the "next pop idol" like AI is.
    You can see this with how far someone like Rex made it last year, and even Melissa had that rocker-chick sound, as well as Suzy Rawn.
    Would you call Kelly Clarkson rocker-chick? Because that's the closest comparison in my mind for Melissa. Suzi Rawn certainly tried to be rocker but proved to be not all that great at it and pretty one dimensional. Her glaring and boot stomping remind me of Chris, not that Chris stomped, but he certainly glared, and in the end, I think that did both of them in.
    Theresa and Jacob from CI2 could easily be considered alternative-style singers as well.
    This just makes me giggle. I don't think I've ever seen Theresa and Jacob put into the same group before! Theresa is so far from alternative unless her old skat style is so old it has become new and alternative again!
    But with AI, especially with the first 3 seasons, R&B-ish singers (Ruben, Fantasia, K-Lo, Jasmine, etc.) and big belters like Clay seem to do the best, and there always seems to be a handful of country singers thrown into the mix.
    Agree, but this could have more to do with the demographic makeup of America relative to Canada.
    I've always wondered, if Ryan Malcolm, or Melissa O'Neill made it to the final 12 in American Idol, how far would they go?
    Ryan, I don't think would go all that far, because he didn't have a real stand out voice or personna. He had a very good voice, but overall was relatively bland. Melissa would have done o.k. I think, because the girl certainly can sing, and in spite of being absolutely gorgeous, her un-Kat like appearance may have hurt her. You didn't mention Kalan. How do you think he would have done? Most everyone knows my opinion of him, and how I think he would have been a huge star on AI, but what do you think?
    Even when AI has a 'rocker' in the final group (Chris or Bo), it's a much more mainstream rock sound
    Yeah, but they think they're being so wild and crazy by having them in the competition!

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    They'll put through people who are not in the mold of the most commerically popular singers of the day.
    CI judges eyes do not light up like Simon's did as soon as he saw Katharine and Kellie, when a pretty girl or good looking guy walks in.
    I always think of Simon as a business man who happens to be in music, rather than someone with a deep seated love of music.
    The CI judges are about the music first I think.

I agree with everything you wrote here Fluff!!
    Simon does definately seem to be a business man first...especially when you consider that he doesn't seem to "get" certain types of music. I like Simon, but he does seem to want a certain look in his picks for winners...not just their musical talent.

I think that is also one of the reason I like CI so much. The judges seem more interested in actual talent.
    ---------------------
    opps....

This doesn't really fall under the category of comparing AI to CI, but it does sort of. http://www.theeastcarolinian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/23/43fdeec0d4a55 I had read before that AI was very 'casted', that people were picked for the roles they were going to play rather than their singing ability, and this contestant certainly seems to think that was the case. Some definite sour grapes here, but also some interesting tidbits. And to get back on topic, I don't think CI goes nearly to these extremes. Perhaps I'm just naive, but I do think they pay more attention to the music. I'm sure they're well aware of who will make good t.v., but to the extent described here? Nah. What do you think?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast