+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Zack Werner - Judge

Zack Werner - Judge

Winnipeg native Zack Werner has enjoyed a varied and extensive career in the music industry as an artist, producer, entertainment lawyer and manager.

He is President of Toronto-based Venus Management and Venus Records (distributed by EMI).

The company provides personal management for artists including esthero (Warner), Robin Black (Venus/EMI), Ali Milner (Venus/EMI), Down With Webster, The Johnstones and producer James Robertson (EMI Music Publishing).

"Zack is intelligent and mercurial -- just when you think he's going to zig, he zags," said Canadian Idol Executive Producer John Brunton. "He's our wild card. I love his passion -- he's a natural-born killer."

With a B.A. from the University of Minnesota and a law degree from the University of British Columbia, Werner put the "law" on hold upon moving to Toronto and joined local rock band The Ringing.

Managed by Gary Pring (Glass Tiger), the group worked in the studio with producer Garth Richardson (Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers) and secured a development deal with Capitol Records.

Werner formed the group Thick As Thieves and relocated to Los Angeles. The group opened for Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam and negotiated a distribution deal through BMG.

When the band broke up Werner returned to Toronto and signed a development deal with MCA as a solo-artist and worked with producer John Punter (The Spoons, Japan).

Putting his legal training to use, Werner practiced entertainment law with the firm of Sanderson, Taylor which became the pre-eminent entertainment law firm in Canada, counting among their clients superstars such as Sum 41, Avril Lavigne and Nelly Furtado.

He soon built a strong reputation for finding, showcasing and representing new talent across Canada. His clients included The Philosopher Kings, Chris Smith Management, Sky, Ron Sexsmith and Sass Jordan.

During his legal career Zack presented showcases for record companies that were among the first exposure for K-OS, The Rascalz, Sarah Harmer and Finger 11 (then known as The Rainbow Butt Monkeys).

In December 2003, Werner represented Canada in the World Idol competition in London, England.

Meanwhile, Venus has had much success in the last year.

Highlights included: gold recording artist esthero scoring two top five singles, including a number one hit, on Billboard's Dance Chart and touring with six-time Grammy nominee John Legend recording with Andre 3000 of Outkast and placing songs in Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Sex and The City and Miss Congeniality II; signing The Johnstones who are currently working on their first album for Venus.

The future? Look for the debut from 15 year old Ali Milner from Whistler BC in early 2006.

Good old Zack! I love Zack. He can be so snotty and mean, but you just know he's a big old softie underneath. Simon's mean comments come with a very haughty 'better than you' demeanor - I don't get any sense of softness out of him, which makes his comments much more cutting.

Zack and his wheelies cracked me up on Monday night, and the sheepish look on his face when he crashed and landed on his tush were so funny!

The Toronto Sun had an interesting article that quoted each of the judges. http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=11 48854212098&call_pageid=968867 495754&col=969483191630 I'll post the quote from each of the judges in their respective threads.

Zack Werner: Keepin' It Real In Love and Hate

Quote: "Canada is completely unpredictable with regards to the kind of talent it produces."

1. Zack, what can we expect from you this season?

I think as time goes on, I become just completely relaxed in the moment and just really enjoying it whether it's enjoying being vicious or enjoying falling in love with somebody. And in being more real about it, I have become more and more unpredictable.

2. What can we expect from the show this season?

I think this year, in particular, there is a different maturity to the singers, a different understanding of themselves. We were much more prone to ask the questions, "What would you do if you won? What kind of record would you make? What kind of artist do you see yourself as?" And we got much better answers this year. I don't mean as in specific answers to those questions, but as in we had people you could look at and really project that they are going somewhere as opposed to wanting to be contestants on a TV show.
    Enjoying being vicious? C'mon Zack. Don't make me eat my words about you being a big softie!

OK. I don't like Zach. No-one is supposed to like Zach. That is his role on the panel. But I don't think he's as smart or talented as Simon. So I prefer Simon over Zach. Believe it or not.

I just read that he was a lawyer first. Well. That explains a whole LOT He's a lawyer, singer/performer/band hottie/WANNABEE whose time has come and gone. Sheesh!

I'll be he's never happy, and dogs growl when he walks into the room. And cats just pee on his bed....
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    OK. I don't like Zach. No-one is supposed to like Zach. That is his role on the panel. But I don't think he's as smart or talented as Simon. So I prefer Simon over Zach. Believe it or not.

I just read that he was a lawyer first. Well. That explains a whole LOT He's a lawyer, singer/performer/band hottie/WANNABEE whose time has come and gone. Sheesh!

I'll be he's never happy, and dogs growl when he walks into the room. And cats just pee on his bed....
    Naw. He's a softie, I tell you, a softie! I've read numerous reports from people who have attended the show and he's the one who always interacts with the fans, particularly the younger ones, is always chatting with them and is happy to sign autographs. IMO, he has two attributes that make him more palatable than Simon, one being his sense of humour, and the second being that he can laugh at himself. Simon is my favourite AI judge, no doubt, but I can't imagine him coming down from the lofty perch he sits on looking snottily down at everyone to be silly and wheel his chair and himself right off the stage. I guess the day we saw Zack so moved over Kalan's song that he had tears in his eyes forever endeared him to me.

Well, Zach's performance tonight didn't endear him to me at all. He was just being childish. And rude. And having a little hissy fit. Throwing a trash can at a contestant isn't funny. And isn't professional. I don't care if he likes to sign autographs for little kids. He's making an impression on all the kids who took the time to show up and try. Not a good on in my opinion. Actions like his should not be acceptable whether on tv or not.

He can putz on his chair, make faces, or fall asleep, but once he starts being violent, it's just plain pathetic. He's supposed to be an adult. One in the music industry that others are to look up to. And take his comments seriously. He was a poor excuse of a judge tonight. Or that of a real man.

Just to set the record straight, he didn't throw the garbage can AT the contestant at all, he threw it at the letters on the stage behind the contestant, way off to the side of him. Missed the kid by a mile. But I agree. He shouldn't have been throwing garbage cans at all. (I still like him though. I loved the look on his face when he peered up over the edge of the garbage cart that Farley was wheeling him around in. )

I think I just mixed up my comments on Zack and Jake. Dang it all! Them four letter names that sound like they're from the country, just confuse me all to heck.

It was Zack's comments last night that I think were just downright rude and not helpful to the singers. If he says something negative, he should at least follow up with something positive for the kids. Sheesh!

I love Zack, even though I thought he was crazy last night. Still, he's my favourite judge.

+ Reply to Thread