+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jake Gold - Judge

Jake Gold - Judge

Jake Gold is one of Canada's most successful artist managers and music producers.

He is co-owner of Kindling Music, an independent record label distributed by Warner Music, and of The Management Trust, through which he is best known for his role in establishing and transforming The Tragically Hip into a national icon.

Gold also directs the careers of Gord Downie, Brian Byrne, Sass Jordan, Chris Koster and The Populars, among others.

"A rock and roll road warrior, Jake is both all business and all heart," said Canadian Idol Executive Producer John Brunton.

"He looks for the 'feeling' in a performance. He loves the connection an artist makes with the audience. But watch out if you haven't done your homework."

Gold has been recognized by the annual Canadian Music Industry Awards as Manager of the Year in 1991, 1993 and 1994. He has been a member of the Television and Talent committee since the 2003 Juno Awards in Ottawa-Gatineau.

Additionally, Gold is in demand for his industry expertise and has been either moderator or panelist at Australia's Pacific Music Conference, Pollstar's Concert Industry Consortium, Vancouver's NewMusicWest and both Canadian Music Week and North By Northeast in Toronto.

He has also been a keynote speaker at the Canadian Organization of Campus Activities conference.

Gold's devotion to music and art is matched by a strong focus on charity events and organizations.

He is responsible for producing the War Child concert in Winnipeg, which drew crowds upwards of 100,000 people and raised over $400,000 for War Child Canada.

He continues to donate his time to War Child and other various charities.

Gold grew up in Toronto, where he sang in top 40 bands in his teens. From 1979 to 1981, he lived in Los Angeles, doing lighting design for the Variety Arts Centre.

After receiving a call from a friend, he returned to Toronto to become a tour manager and lighting guy for Hot Tip. That same year, the band reformed as mod-pop group The Purple Hearts and asked Gold to manage it.

"I've been a manager ever since," said Gold.

The Toronto Sun had an interesting article that quoted each of the judges. http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...12098&call_pag eid=968867495754&col=969483191 630 I'll post the quote from each of the judges in their respective threads.
    Jake Gold: Internecine Warfare and Great Expectations

Quote: "There are no Buckys on our show. There are no Chicken Littles."

1. Jake, what can we expect from you this season?

We did have a lot of battles this time. I actually screamed pretty loud at Zack at one point. And I also had a big fight with Farley.... I have always tried to be constructive in my criticism but, at the same time, firm. I always try to tell the truth, but I don't feel the need to be insulting.

2. What can we expect from the show this season?

We raised the age limit and all of a sudden we found all these singers that had had careers. We have a couple of people who were in real bands that viewers would know. We could potentially have the best Top 10 anyone has ever seen. Anywhere. If the public votes the way we hope they vote in terms of the quality of these singers, the American show couldn't even shine our shoes.
    You don't feel the need to be insulting?? You're the grumpiest judge there, and you're slagging on everyone. Get over yourself.

"There are no Buckys on our show. There are no Chicken Littles."

"We could potentially have the best Top 10 anyone has ever seen. Anywhere. If the public votes the way we hope they vote in terms of the quality of these singers, the American show couldn't even shine our shoes. "

That sounds REALLY promising. I hope the show lives up to the expectations he just gave me.

Pfft. They say that every year! But seriously, I have heard some real promise from the few clips they've shown us.

Hey, I liked Bucky.

The previews seemed to indicate that Jake has a little temper tantrum next week. He does seem awful touchy at times, and sometimes I find him quite rude to the hopefuls. Maybe he's looking to take the "Simon" spot from Zack.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I agree AJane, I've found him to be quite rude at times too.
    I think Zach was always presumed by the producers to be the "Simon" of this show and his comments seem to be portrayed as being the most cutting.
    He does come out with some zingers admittedly, but over the years I've found some of Jake's comments to be equally as bad, but he just doesn't deliver them in such and entertaining manner as Zach
    Last edited by fluff; 06-01-2006 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    I think Zach was always presumed by the producers to be the "Simon" of this show and his comments seem to be portrayed as being the most cutting. He does come out with some zingers admittedly, but over the years I've found some of Jake's comments to be equally as bad, but he just doesn't deliver them in such and entertaining manner as Zach
    That's what I just said over on the other thread! Zack at least seems to have a sense of humour. Jake tries so hard to be funny or outrageous or whatever, but it just falls very flat. And the flatter it falls, the harder he tries to be the centre of attention. I dunno. Maybe he's a nice enough guy off stage, but he seems awfully full of himself to me.

I think I like Jake. I think I like Jake. Sometimes I don't like Jake. But I like him better than Zack.

He's is a bit of a dull judge at times, but he tries. I'll give him that. He's not the judge you need to be afraid of.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

To be honest, I don't really listen to anything Jake says. He gives his opinions but most of the time I don't pay attention one way or the other because the other judges usually give a lot better ones. Sometimes he'll surprise me and like something that I liked while the other judges didn't but that doesn't happen too oftne.

Hmmm. I dont' remember seeing Jake so upset about something another Judge said where he not only got up but knocked over a coffee cup and such. Apparently, he was "afraid" that Farley was going to deck him. Which I can understand you wouldn't want to be at the end of his fist.

However, I don't know what they argued about because my phone rang and I missed the audio. Was Farley trying to tell Jake what he meant to say or something? I didn't catch it.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast