+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Farley Flex - Judge

Farley Flex - Judge

Farley Flex, a household name on the Canadian music scene, has been actively developing the urban market since the mid-80s. He began as a concert promoter and artist manager, managing Canada's most successful solo rap artist, Maestro.

"Farley is our Mountain of Soul, with a heart of gold," said Canadian Idol Executive Producer John Brunton. "He approaches everything he does with enormous integrity...and of course he injects our panel with 'crazy flavour'."

As the original music director for Toronto's FLOW 93.5, Flex was very instrumental in submitting the CRTC applications that resulted in the first urban radio license in Canadian history. Since its launch in February of 2001, FLOW has built a strong and loyal audience. The popularity of FLOW has prompted other mainstream stations to adopt a more urban hip-hop sound. Since then, five other urban licenses have been awarded by the CRTC. Flex was instrumental in the successful CRTC application for Standard Broadcasting's urban radio station Vibe in Calgary and the CHUM/Milestone
    (FLOW) urban radio station in Edmonton.

Flex has spent his entire career discovering, promoting and developing new Canadian talent such as Canadian Idol runner-up Gary Beals -- who was recently nominated for a 2005 Juno Award -- as well as artists Toya Alexis and Belinda Brady, who are releasing debut albums this spring. In addition, Flex has been a recipient of the Bob Marley Community Role Model Award for his commitment to community development - especially as it pertains to youth. He also serves as a member on the board of VideoFACT, which is charged with funding the production of music videos for independent Canadian artists.

VideoFACT has funded over 2,700 projects by giving out more than $25 million to date. Some of Canada's most successful musical acts have benefited from this invaluable service including, Celine Dion, k.d. lang, Kardinal Offishall, The Matthew Good Band, Jully Black, Swollen Members, Blue Rodeo, The Rascalz, Glenn Lewis, Sloan, Treble Charger, Sum 41, Hawksley Workman, Maestro, Bruce Cockburn, Great Big Sea and Sarah McLachlan, to name just a few.

Flex has also spent time on the FACTOR board (Foundation to Assist Canadian Talent on Record), helping Canadian artists with financial assistance in the recording of music. Flex was also involved at the board level of the Canadian Independent Record Producers Association (CIRPA), which is the trade organization representing the independent sector of the Canadian music and sound recording industry.

Former Vice-President of Business Development for FLOW 93.5 FM and Canadian Talent Development Chair, Flex is also a principal founder of Plasma Corporation, a music and media company based in Toronto, Ontario. With Plasma, Flex currently has in development various projects for television and film.

The Toronto Sun had an interesting article that quoted each of the judges. http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...12098&call_pag eid=968867495754&col=969483191 630 I'll post the quote from each of the judges in their respective threads.
    Farley Flex: Promoting Excellence On This Side of the Border

Quote: "The bar has been raised in terms of talent this year."

1. Farley, what can we expect from you this season?

We have a lot of really smart competitors this year. That has been one of the real underlying evolutions in the show. So I will be challenging them to use those smarts. When you know somebody has the acumen to do something, you expect more from them.

2. What can we expect from the show this season?

We are inundated with American influences, media-wise, more than any other country in the world. As a result, we get overshadowed. That's what makes a show like this so relevant. What's really cool this year is the kids have a strong sense of artistry, and are very sophisticated and savvy. There are some colourful characters this season who are entertaining even when they're not singing.

Thanks for the Farley inFO. I didn't really know that much about him. Other than he's usually in the middle of all the judges. And he comes up with some really great comments on the performers. He's seems pretty laid back and interested at the same time. I don't remember him ever getting angry over anything. Maybe tired. But not rude or angry.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Well, I found it interesting that Farley had it out with Jake tonight. And that Jake was supposidly "afraid" that Farley would hit him. Does anyone remember Farley actually getting physical about anything from the other shows? I thought he was a fairly calm judge.

I don't care if they argue. Just don't start swinging fistsicuffs!

Why is it I always forget what Farley says? Maybe because it's not interesting or helpful? He is the most unnoticed judge on that panel. Which, considering all of the POWER he has as a judge, he should be more memorable when I watch the show.

He's not damaging the competitors by being rude though. At least he speaks with some consideration.

He's not damaging the competitors by being rude though. At least he speaks with some consideration.
    Absolutely. I also thought it was cool that he took a night off so he could go to his daughter's school function....that man has his priorities right.

+ Reply to Thread